OT: St. Louis professional sports discussion (2015)

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MB - you're possibly the only one that I've seen say Grichuk has a plus range, plus arm, and plus speed. I have also not seen many people deny that he projects to have plus power.

Ricky Horton pointed out last night that Grichuk has speed when he beat out an infield hit.

And I don't know where you have been but experts all over have cited Grichuk's plus arm and excellent range, glove skills and instincts in the outfield.

If his range and instincts were really all that excellent, he would've been an everyday center fielder in the minors. He wasn't.

He hasn't hit .300 since Rookie ball six years ago. He also hasn't managed a .900 OPS or even a .500 SLG since then. If you are into Bill James and sabermetrics, you should know that you can't just ignore the fact that he strikes out four times as often as he walks and had a .310 OBP in the high minors. The only guys in recent memory to have long major league careers with an offensive profile like that are the Juan Samuels and Alfonso Sorianos of the world. In other words, typically far from five tool players who had much better minor league numbers than Grichuk. The first and most important tool is the ability to get on base.

Can I be of the opinion that neither Grichuk nor Jay are any good? Both are extremely limited although Grichuk at least shows far more potential.

Jay's not going to be an everyday player forever. This latest injury might be the beginning of the end. Nobody outside of Al Hrabosky ever called Jay a star, but he has been a solid everyday CF for five years. So far Grichuk hasn't even proven he can be that. The projections have his OBP well below .300, and he's going to have to hit a lot of homers to make up for that.

The thing is, Jay has a minus minus minus arm. Worst CF arm, by far, in MLB. Runners go wild when the ball is hit his way. No way to measure that exactly with some formula.

I'd give Grichuk an A-, possibly a B+.

Clemente, Dawson, Kaline, Mantle, Barfield, Mays, V. Guerrero, those types = A+'s.

The thing is, Jay has a minus minus minus arm. Worst CF arm, by far, in MLB. Runners go wild when the ball is hit his way. No way to measure that exactly with some formula.

I'd give Grichuk an A-, possibly a B+.

Clemente, Dawson, Kaline, Mantle, Barfield, Mays, V. Guerrero, those types = A+'s.

Wasn't it Jay that Beltran called off in the playoffs when the fly ball was CLEARLY the CF's ball? I love how Beltran just took over the play and gunned the guy out at the plate. I'm not a Jay hater or anything, but his arm limitations are/were well known and that arm would have cost us that game.

Jay's not going to be an everyday player forever. This latest injury might be the beginning of the end. Nobody outside of Al Hrabosky ever called Jay a star, but he has been a solid everyday CF for five years. So far Grichuk hasn't even proven he can be that. The projections have his OBP well below .300, and he's going to have to hit a lot of homers to make up for that.

Jay has always been a tough call for me. I feel like literally the only thing he does well is get on base. But that may be the most important thing. He did seem to have a lot of meaningless hits or RBI's, but he still was able to get on base which at the very least puts more stress on the pitcher.

Sorry to change the topic from the beloved Cardinals, but another professional team in St. Louis had a big night last night. STL FC upset Minnesota United in the Third Round of the US Open Cup. If anyone doesn't know, STL FC is an expansion team in the USL (3rd division) and Minnesota is in the 2nd Division NASL and is about to move up to MLS. STL FC now gets to play Sporting KC in June.

• 3 weeks later...

This will be an interesting test of Manfreds term early. People will be arrested on criminal charges, but will Manfred be more Adam Silver to Donald Sterling or more Goodell to Ray Rice part1 on this?

Lost draft picks, fines, losing prospects all has to be on the table.

People say it may have been some rogue employees pissed that Lunhow didn't take them Houston with him. Even if true, it looks terrible for the organization and I'm sure the majority of people won't buy that and will assume the Cardinals are throwing some people under the bus.

I am a Cardinals fan and this definitely doesn't look good for the organization but does anybody else find it dumb that Lunhow didn't change the passwords he used from when he was with the Cardinals? That's just not smart.

Shoot SLU doesn't allow kids to use the same password that they had like 5 years ago or something.

This will be an interesting test of Manfreds term early. People will be arrested on criminal charges, but will Manfred be more Adam Silver to Donald Sterling or more Goodell to Ray Rice part1 on this?

Lost draft picks, fines, losing prospects all has to be on the table.

Cubs still suck

I am a Cardinals fan and this definitely doesn't look good for the organization but does anybody else find it dumb that Lunhow didn't change the passwords he used from when he was with the Cardinals? That's just not smart.

Shoot SLU doesn't allow kids to use the same password that they had like 5 years ago or something.

Plus 1 to this.

Agree. Regardless someone in the Cards organization was up to no good, but how you get to be a GM with that kind of common sense is comical.