Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody know anything about the 2018 recruiting class? Can't find much.

There are a couple area players who are high major or above recruits.

Torrance Watson at Whitfield is averaging over 20 points a game. He's a dynamic wing and the probable successor to Tatum. He'll be a top 40 player at the very least.

Carte'Are Martin at Vianney is averaging 12 and 7. He's had a couple monster games specifically against Hazelwood Central who is big and loaded. Already 6'8 with room to grow he also will have offers very soon.

A couple others Courtney Ramey Webster, Kale Catchings CBC, Jerricole Hellems Chaminade, play on much better teams and don't get much playing time or are role players but are still ones to watch in the class.

Torrance Watson at Whitfield is averaging over 20 points a game. He's a dynamic wing and the probable successor to Tatum. He'll be a top 40 player at the very least.

Carte'Are Martin at Vianney is averaging 12 and 7. He's had a couple monster games specifically against Hazelwood Central who is big and loaded. Already 6'8 with room to grow he also will have offers very soon.

A couple others Courtney Ramey Webster, Kale Catchings CBC, Jerricole Hellems Chaminade, play on much better teams and don't get much playing time or are role players but are still ones to watch in the class.

Tanner was out to watch the Vianney kid a couple Friday's ago.

Watson has been to a couple of SLU games this year.

I have heard really good things about Watson at Whitfield. Kid sounds like a big time player. I need to get out to see Carte'Are and Vianney sometime, but he is putting up solid numbers for a freshman.

Having seen Chaminade a handful of times this year, I am not sure I would consider Jerricole Hellems a major prospect.

The 2018 class has had a lot of success nationally as kids (especially that Team Ramey), it will be interesting to watch them develop. The names that I have heard include Torrence Watson at Whitfield, Carteare Gordon at Vianney, Courtney Ramey at Webster, Fred Thatch from Sikeston, Jericole Hellems at Chaminade, and Jontay Porter from Columbia (younger brother of Michael Porter who was on SportsCenter this morning). I have not seen any of these kids play outside of Hellems, Catchings from CBC when they played Chaminade, and Ramey in a scrimmage, but hope to see a few of these guys this winter.

Courtney Ramey gonna be a boss

I have heard mixed things about the Ramey kid. What are you seeing/hearing about him?

One guy I talked to thinks he may have peaked and will struggle to stand out at the high school level playing with older and more developed kids. Granted his son who is a year older completely shut him down not long ago (prior to high school), so his perception may be a little harsh.

I have heard really good things about Watson at Whitfield. Kid sounds like a big time player. I need to get out to see Carte'Are and Vianney sometime, but he is putting up solid numbers for a freshman.

Having seen Chaminade a handful of times this year, I am not sure I would consider Jerricole Hellems a major prospect.

The 2018 class has had a lot of success nationally as kids (especially that Team Ramey), it will be interesting to watch them develop. The names that I have heard include Torrence Watson at Whitfield, Carteare Gordon at Vianney, Courtney Ramey at Webster, Fred Thatch from Sikeston, Jericole Hellems at Chaminade, and Jontay Porter from Columbia (younger brother of Michael Porter who was on SportsCenter this morning). I have not seen any of these kids play outside of Hellems, Catchings from CBC when they played Chaminade, and Ramey in a scrimmage, but hope to see a few of these guys this winter.

Good stuff, do you think that SLU will have a serious chance at landing any of these kids in the next few years? Will they be getting offers from any of the big name schools?

Good stuff, do you think that SLU will have a serious chance at landing any of these kids in the next few years? Will they be getting offers from any of the big name schools?

I have no idea. I am starting to follow local high school basketball more and these are some of the names I have heard. Once these kids get a little older I will ask around to see if I can get an idea what kind of interest SLU has in them and what interest they may have in SLU. Obviously it is really early and these kids are nowhere near finished products, but a couple of them appear to be major college prospects with SLU already showing interest (Watson and Gordon).

I have heard mixed things about the Ramey kid. What are you seeing/hearing about him?

One guy I talked to thinks he may have peaked and will struggle to stand out at the high school level playing with older and more developed kids. Granted his son who is a year older completely shut him down not long ago (prior to high school), so his perception may be a little harsh.

Seasons still early, but he went from being 7-8th on bench to starting/6th man, has had a couple +10 point games, good vision good ball handling.

• 3 weeks later...

I have no idea. I am starting to follow local high school basketball more and these are some of the names I have heard. Once these kids get a little older I will ask around to see if I can get an idea what kind of interest SLU has in them and what interest they may have in SLU. Obviously it is really early and these kids are nowhere near finished products, but a couple of them appear to be major college prospects with SLU already showing interest (Watson and Gordon).

Carte'Are Gordon continued his strong freshman season this weekend in Columbia leading Vianney to an overtime victory over Michael Porter Jr. and Father Tolton. Gordon went for 27 points (10-23 from the field and 7-11 from the line) and had 12 rebounds. Michael Porter Jr. had 23 points (8-16) and 10 rebounds.

• 3 months later...

When a recruit is 'offered a scholarship' what exactly is exchanged? Is it a verbal offer or something in writing? Can an assistant offer a scholarship, or only a head coach? It seems to me that something solid would need to be exchanged, or confusion might reign a year or two down the line.

-is the Dead Period still in effect? if so, i guess that means Weber went through intermediaries to make the offer, how does that fit the spirit of the regulation? or does spirit only have to do with cheer squads?

You can still text/call recruits during a dead or quiet period. You just can't meet face to face