Former Billikens Updates

thetorch

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

If I recall correctly there was an event in a prior game this season where the team's captain of the opposite team fouled Conklin and wound up (the other guy) with a broken jaw or some other non trivial injury. I am speculating now but this may have escalated to the point where he was terminated by the team, possibly with league involvement in the action. If this is the case, doubt we will see him playing in Australia at least for a while.

Good Article here with BC's side of the story. The one thing you do not do is piss off BC, he will come back stronger and better than ever before, just like Rocky Balboa in Rocky IV.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/brian-conklin-caught-off-guard-by-shock-sacking-by-crocs/story-fnjfzr2z-1227628859574

Here is the GMs story:

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/crocs-gm-defends-sensational-sacking-of-brian-conklin/story-fnjfzr2z-1227628903484

Stat line:

Led his team with 13.54 PPG and 6.62 Rebounds per game.

That sounds somewhat like the pre-Conklin-summer Conklin.

Having a newborn child is a major life change (not that I know anything about that, personally), and it may have had an impact on his performance. That team is grasping at straws, though. After an adjustment period, Conk would have gotten back to the player they loved. But it sounds like they don't have the experienced pieces around him necessary for a winning team, so it probably wouldn't have made much of a difference. And now they're going to struggle even more, most likely.

Did I read correctly that the team is required to pay Conklin his full year's worth of salary (1 year contract) all in a lump sum now? And that Conklin is staying in town until he gets paid? If so, and if Conklin is able to sign with another team soon, he essentially will be paid twice (short of 15 games of course) for this season?

By comparison, I could at least understand this situation if his team were trying to dump Conklin's salary by having another team pick up all or a portion of the same. But why would any team pay a guy for the full year but then not want him to contribute in return. Fine, assume that Conklin's performance had dropped off a bit, why cut him if you cannot cut his salary?

If correct, there must really be alot of bad blood that they are paying him to stay away from the team.

Something's not right with this situation. He was the league MVP last year, named team captain, and was averaging 15 ppg this year. Then they cut him mid season citing performance issues. Crikey. There must be more to the story.

No idea how much it impacted the team's decision here, but judging from Ellis' and Jett's Facebook feeds the story about the elbow was quite the ongoing brouhaha.

"Just hours after leading an honesty session with his teammates the 26-year-old import was told via text message to skip a planned school clinic and instead head to the club’s base in Currajong for a meeting."

When keeping it real goes wrong.

Now that the Tatum ship has sailed, I'm pretty comfortable saying without question Brian Conklin is the former SLU player I'd most like to be a future head coach.

It is funny how basketball is played in other cultures. Australia plays like it is the 1950s, no contact gentleman game primarily below the rim. Conklin's actions in the US would warrant nothing more than a foul call.