Pistol

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big news for the Federal Mogul site on Forest Park Parkway:

Steve Smith’s The Lawrence Group plans a $104 million redevelopment of theFederal Mogul Century Foundry site, the latest large project in Midtown. Smith plans to turn the property, 3700 Forest Park Ave., into a food market, office and retail space, and 250 residential units.

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news/2016/01/06/104-million-development-planned-east-of-ikea.html

Spring and Forest Park I think.

The stinky complex across Spring from where Six Row used to be.

I'm pleased to see someone finally solved the environmental remediation issues at this site.

Now wouldn't it be unbelievable if someone could find an adaptive reuse for the Armory and/or the old Famous Barr warehouse.

The stinky complex across Spring from where Six Row used to be.

I'm pleased to see someone finally solved the environmental remediation issues at this site.

Now wouldn't it be unbelievable if someone could find an adaptive reuse for the Armory and/or the old Famous Barr warehouse.

Thanks

For those that made the trip to Columbus and got a chance to explore, Lawrence Group's concept is similar to their North Market "food incubator", which was very cool.

http://www.northmarket.com/

I see similar concepts in cities across the country (Eately in New York, the Ferry Building in San Francisco, Pike Place Market in Seattle, Oxbow Market in Napa,etc.) and always think how great it would be to have something like this in St. Louis featuring St. Louis specific vendors. If this is done right, it will be a nice addition to the area. Thanks for the info SShoe.

For those that made the trip to Columbus and got a chance to explore, Lawrence Group's concept is similar to their North Market "food incubator", which was very cool.

http://www.northmarket.com/

From their website.

"We are fabulous foodies, persnickety purveyors and artful artisans peddling the fresh, the tasty, the exotic, the beautiful and the special."

Persnickety? Seems to foo foo

Awesome stuff. Really exciting for SLU and the city as a whole.

Yeah, this is awesome news all-around.

I love that they're also keeping the existing trestle for use for the Great Rivers Greenway project. (And as a bike commuter in the worst bike city in America, I'm super jealous.)

Yeah, this is awesome news all-around.

I love that they're also keeping the existing trestle for use for the Great Rivers Greenway project. (And as a bike commuter in the worst bike city in America, I'm super jealous.)

How does one even begin to bike in Cinci? You guys live in OTR ?

How does one even begin to bike in Cinci? You guys live in OTR ?

No, Clifton. I work downtown. 5.3 miles from my door to the bike center (indoor bike racks behind a shop that is never open, with lockers and showers and 24/7 keycard access), which is awesome. But everything else is terrible. The mayor is opposed to on-street bike infrastructure; he says that because he already committed to a bike sharing program (he didn't- the previous mayor did) there are no bike-specific funds left for actually making the streets approachable for people who might want to use them. He's a moron.

Being able to have a bike trail connection right next to SLU would be crucial in linking downtown to Forest Park. That'd be so nice.

Not to mention more pre- and post-game food options for us.

I want to see the execution first (Steve Smith's projects have kind of been hit or miss and St. Louis could be a tough nut for a development like that), but I really like the concept.

On Grand, they're also renovating the old Missouri Theater building. Should be sweet.

I hope that measures can be taken to make Forest Park Parkway more pedestrian-friendly and better integrate the north and south sides of the street.

• 3 weeks later...

Those particular buildings aren't decent for much except storage these days. Can't say I'm heartbroken about them being chosen to take down. They're a far cry from CIC across the street.

I could see a restaurant like Tavolo V going in to part of that space, but as I said, the long-term strategy behind tearing those down is good. And there's no call for a restaurant row within Cortex -- yet -- and they've certainly rehabbed their fair share of old buildings.

I'm simply predisposed to questioning the tearing down of almost any older building to put in a parking lot (or "green space").