Majerus on KFAN in Minneapolis

thetorch

Majerus was out up north supposedly to offer the Friedman kid out of Iowa. Or is he Minnesota? In any case, Rick always seems to be in the Minnesota/Wisconsin/Illinois/Great White North area for his prospects. Why mention Tubby? I have heard nothing that Tubby needs replacing -- he lost his best player in Trevor Mbakwe and still rang up 23 wins enroute to the NIT final/title. Now, he loses only ralph Sampson III and gets Mbakwe back with a sixth year/medical redshirt. Tubby should be fine; you speculating/blowing smoke larry72?

Majerus was out up north supposedly to offer the Friedman kid out of Iowa. Or is he Minnesota? In any case, Rick always seems to be in the Minnesota/Wisconsin/Illinois/Great White North area for his prospects. Why mention Tubby? I have heard nothing that Tubby needs replacing -- he lost his best player in Trevor Mbakwe and still rang up 23 wins enroute to the NIT final/title. Now, he loses only ralph Sampson III and gets Mbakwe back with a sixth year/medical redshirt. Tubby should be fine; you speculating/blowing smoke larry72?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere Tubby might be in trouble. My comment was mostly in jest, as I don't think RM wants to leave SLU, but I'd sure feel a lot better if they'd give him that extension for at least another 3 years.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere Tubby might be in trouble. My comment was mostly in jest, as I don't think RM wants to leave SLU, but I'd sure feel a lot better if they'd give him that extension for at least another 3 years.

Quit worrying Larry, I doubt seriously if RM goes anywhere. I would have offered him an extension over a year ago brother.

Rick was up north celebrating something with Marquette basketball.

Uh oh! He is going to take the Marquette job when Buzz Williams goes to SMU! Also, I had a friend that went to UW and donates about $1k a year to them and he was pissed with Bo Ryan losing yet another Sweet 16 game and said fans are getting tired of always losing in the Sweet 16. What if they fire Bo based on my firend's advice and want to hire Rick? Then what?!?

Uh oh! He is going to take the Marquette job when Buzz Williams goes to SMU! Also, I had a friend that went to UW and donates about $1k a year to them and he was pissed with Bo Ryan losing yet another Sweet 16 game and said fans are getting tired of always losing in the Sweet 16. What if they fire Bo based on my firend's advice and want to hire Rick? Then what?!?

Hopefully we could patch the relationship with Porter and get the greatest coach ever back. I'll keep my fingers crossed for that!

Wisconsin is a state school and they have different regulations regarding donation requirements for your opinion to count. The actual amount varies by state as it isn't federally regulated, but I believe in Wisconsin it's $1, 363.00, so if your friend really wants to get this done he'll have to up his committment just a bit.

There was a play honoring Al Mcguire's life in milwaukee. Majerus was there as was dick enberg.

Heard the play was great. I grew up across the street from Al. If you think Rick is a character hes got nothing on Al. I suggest "cracked sidewalks and french pastrys" as a great quote book coming from lines by Al.

roy wouldn't like it but I appreciate his candor on him "getting rid of kids" before they are seniors. Seems a fair trade off ... you're not dedicated enough or you're not committed to the grades. I have no problem with that.

interesting take on the hiring situation at Illinois and their lack of african-american coaches and how the board members handled it calling it a catastrophe in terms of the racial side. also interesting incriminations on the Chicago AAU situation and what Groce is walking into in Champaign. doesn't seem to give Groce much of a chance against Izzo, Ryan and others. interesting take on AAU situations and trash-talking and player posses.

Interesting takes on Calipari, Knight and Benson, Buckner and May. Bottom line: if you are a coach that cares about a kid you need to be involved more and know more. And if you are that coach, then you do know and should be held accountable.

'72. I agree. Your recent posts sure indicate you are overly worried. Relax or you will not make it next season!! :)

Maybe the place you read it was a passing comment by a disgruntled fan. Just because something is in print does not make it a reality. Maybe you're right. Maybe Tubby IS in trouble. All coaches, though, are only as good as their last game. Many on this Board even wasn't so sure about RM before the start of this season.

As to RM leaving. Why? His age, his health, his recent comments, his pipeline of players, comments from Dr. Chaifetz, comments from Chris May.... all points to a guy who will stay here (not start all over somewhere else) until he's done coaching. No announcement will come in the paper that RM is signed to a 3 year contract extention. Even if RM were to sign one, we have all seen that contract extensions mean nothing about keeping a coach from leaving to a better situation. In fact, as SLU gets better and better, more and more programs will want RM and more and more rumors will spread (like the one from the Mississippi State fan last week). If our own Board and its better posters get drawn into this and creates a controversy where none previously existed, only harm will occur.

From the other thread, RM's recruiting is now much harder because some no name coach from Ohio Univ. (not Ohio State, Cincy, X, UD, Miami or even Kent State) has taken over for the Illini? Seriously?? Of course the Illini are considered by every kid in Chicago no matter who the coach is. I remember when guys would line up to play for Lou Henson and he was no coaching genius!! Heck, even Bruce Weber did OK recruiting Chicago. Weber just frankly isn't that good of a coach, he lost too many games and then recently took too many risks (bad character kids) and these "student athletes" quit on him. I am not worried about RM and recruiting. Even if RM were to get shut out of Chicago, he will simply go elsewhere and steal quality kids from someone else.

Maybe the place you read it was a passing comment by a disgruntled fan. Just because something is in print does not make it a reality. Maybe you're right. Maybe Tubby IS in trouble. All coaches, though, are only as good as their last game. Many on this Board even wasn't so sure about RM before the start of this season.

BUT TUBBY IS IN THE NIT FINAL TONIGHT!!! too bad hes going against ray lewis and the cardinal.

http://deadspin.com/5897335/ray-lewis-is-a-better-motivational-speaker-than-you

The only question that should be asked re: Majerus contract extension is Will Biondi bring him back? They clearly have not seen eye to eye over the past few years on multiple occasions/subjects. As it be, the All-Mighty Biondi was in Asia during the NCAA Tournament. THE MOST PUBLICITY SLU HAS RECEIVED IN OVER A DECADE AND HE WASN'T EVEN HERE. It's been apparent he DGAF about the athletic program, and we all know how his ego won't let anyone else have any sense of power at the University. Biondi will be the only and final factor on the return of RickMa.

From the other thread, RM's recruiting is now much harder because some no name coach from Ohio Univ. (not Ohio State, Cincy, X, UD, Miami or even Kent State) has taken over for the Illini? Seriously??

clock i am one of your biggest fans but seriously, "some no name coach from Ohio Univ"?

groce has been a long time recruiting heavy weight for years as a first asst with butler, xu and ohio state and now to turn ohio u into a sweet 16 team as a head coach. my only amazement is that groce had to first do time at Ohio U before getting a top BCS head job. it was only a matter of time.

The only question that should be asked re: Majerus contract extension is Will Biondi bring him back? They clearly have not seen eye to eye over the past few years on multiple occasions/subjects. As it be, the All-Mighty Biondi was in Asia during the NCAA Tournament. THE MOST PUBLICITY SLU HAS RECEIVED IN OVER A DECADE AND HE WASN'T EVEN HERE. It's been apparent he DGAF about the athletic program, and we all know how his ego won't let anyone else have any sense of power at the University. Biondi will be the only and final factor on the return of RickMa.

Um, the trip to Asia was scheduled WAY before we even had hopes of an NCAA bid and definitely before we thought we could get to the round of 32.

The Asia trip was extremely important for SLU from my understanding. We should give him a pass here.

i disagree. the couple, few big time boosters that love rickma to the nth degree are the only and final factor on rickma's longevity at slu. they pay rick stays. biondi knows a good financial arrangement when he sees one. now if those boosters quit writing checks to cover the big bambino................