Bahamas Tour Coverage

bills07

From what I have been reading on the board about the game, it does little to make me think that the players have made great strides as a team. I am still left with the question - can Crews actually coach a team or not. I know people like to point to all his experience but when will it start showing up in improved play by the team? I know this is a meaningless game and it was against a meaningless team but if practice is the key to getting better then so is playing well in all games even meaningless ones. What happened to all this talk in the spring from the players and coaches to get better and not accept the lousy season they had as a repeat?

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have been reading on the board about the game, it does little to make me think that the players have made great strides as a team. I am still left with the question - can Crews actually coach a team or not. I know people like to point to all his experience but when will it start showing up in improved play by the team? I know this is a meaningless game and it was against a meaningless team but if practice is the key to getting better then so is playing well in all games even meaningless ones. What happened to all this talk in the spring from the players and coaches to get better and not accept the lousy season they had as a repeat?

All I learned from this game is that we could have steamrolled this team with Roby and Crawford playing 32 min in the backcourt instead of our 11th and 12th guys getting those minutes. But I think we knew that already.

I wouldn't read too much into the minutes on this trip. I think Crews knows who his best players are and he's trying to figure out the end of his rotation this season. Word is that neither the staff nor the players liked the big rotation last year. I think you may see all 13 guys play early in the season anyway though. Nothing against Reynolds or Hines but if they're playing close to those kind of minutes regularly, we won't be very good. Wouldn't be surprised if the minutes/combinations were a lot different tonight. Also I think Crews is sending an early message to some guys that they need to clean up the mistakes. Yacoubou driving wildly and Yarbrough trying that coast to coast stuff isn't going to be an option during the season so it needs to stop now.

The practices were the most important part but this group needs to win games. It's a confidence thing heading into a new season. I can't call that performance encouraging but I am not reading too much into it at all.

I wouldn't read too much into the minutes on this trip. I think Crews knows who his best players are and he's trying to figure out the end of his rotation this season. Word is that neither the staff nor the players liked the big rotation last year. I think you may see all 13 guys play early in the season anyway though. Nothing against Reynolds or Hines but if they're playing close to those kind of minutes regularly, we won't be very good. Wouldn't be surprised if the minutes/combinations were a lot different tonight. Also I think Crews is sending an early message to some guys that they need to clean up the mistakes. Yacoubou driving wildly and Yarbrough trying that coast to coast stuff isn't going to be an option during the season so it needs to stop now.

The practices were the most important part but this group needs to win games. It's a confidence thing heading into a new season. I can't call that performance encouraging but I am not reading too much into it at all.

-point/counterpoint - if the staff didn't like it and they control the minutes why did it happen? / I don't think there was a big difference between last season's best player and player 11 or 12 so I can see how this could happen

-if the players didn't like it then distinguish yourself so your minutes are consistent / if players did separate themselves and did not get most of the minutes I can understand being upset at the rotation

-playing 12 is not necessarily a bad thing, how the 12 are played is the key and we discussed this many times over the course of the season......and we might again

I hope we can get to a nine-man rotation as soon as possible this year. That would leave Bishop, Hines, Agbeko, and Jolly on the pine. The others are all capable of contributing and, it's just based on one game but I think Reynolds will be much-improved over last year. The hardest call would be who plays between Welmer and RA. Reggie battles on the glass but Welmer has more upside.

The figuring out that back end of the rotation makes sense as a minute distribution explanation until you realize Roby led the team in minutes.

It's not just the minutes. It's the fact that the 11th and 12th guys were our primary backcourt tandem instead of Roby and Crawford. Roby was basically playing center field.

If you're playing the 11th and 12th guys those kind of minutes then our small forwards barely see the floor. And that's arguably our strongest position.

I hope we can get to a nine-man rotation as soon as possible this year. That would leave Bishop, Hines, Agbeko, and Jolly on the pine. The others are all capable of contributing and, it's just based on one game but I think Reynolds will be much-improved over last year. The hardest call would be who plays between Welmer and RA. Reggie battles on the glass but Welmer has more upside.

I wonder how far behind Bartley will fall with this injury. I can't envision him not being in the rotation, but he can't defend anyone and he's more of a shooter than a point guard. That could put him behind Roby and Crawford if Crews is dead set on having a true PG as the starter.

I'm going to take a wild guess there is nothing available "live" for this thing. I just want the same coverage tonite once its all done.

13: name me the "true point guard(s)" on this roster. Just curious.

I'm going to take a wild guess there is nothing available "live" for this thing. I just want the same coverage tonite once its all done.

13: name me the "true point guard(s)" on this roster. Just curious.

Well nobody but Reynolds and Hines are closer than Bartley I guess.

It's not just the minutes. It's the fact that the 11th and 12th guys were our primary backcourt tandem instead of Roby and Crawford. Roby was basically playing center field.

If you're playing the 11th and 12th guys those kind of minutes then our small forwards barely see the floor. And that's arguably our strongest position.

Roby isn't going to be playing the point. It isn't going to happen. The same talk was coming out last year at this time about Roby playing the point. It didn't happen then. The guy isn't a pass first or scoring point guard. Crawford won't be playing the point either. Neither is a good option to run your offense. They will get minutes at the 2 and 3. Hines, Bartley and Bishop will be getting the 40 minutes at the one.

With that said, Roby and Crawford won't be the backcourt tandem. They may play a lot together, but they won't be a backcourt tandem.

I think we'll play much better today. Hoping for different officials who have to be better than the ones Saturday night. The travelling calls against us were so bad it was ridiculous. Those three made A-10 refs look very competent by comparison. Not only did we have about a dozen travels against us that were bogus, I'm not sure the cabana boys had a single one against them.

Roby isn't going to be playing the point. It isn't going to happen. The same talk was coming out last year at this time about Roby playing the point. It didn't happen then. The guy isn't a pass first or scoring point guard. Crawford won't be playing the point either. Neither is a good option to run your offense. They will get minutes at the 2 and 3. Hines, Bartley and Bishop will be getting the 40 minutes at the one.

With that said, Roby and Crawford won't be the backcourt tandem. They may play a lot together, but they won't be a backcourt tandem.

Do you consider Reynolds a 2 or did you leave him off because you think he will be sitting? Agreed, Roby is not a PG.

I think you will be able to find the stats here once the game tips.

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/17554/16/02/15/17XEsBPSoqvhY/

Been looking for the link. Thanks.

Need to watch out cause the PJ Stingers STUNG Southern Utah the other day. Rumors are flying around Nassau that they are considered the Carleton of the Bahamas

http://10thyearseniors.com/2015/08/07/stingers-outlast-thunderbirds/

Fify

So they would be the Duke of any other country? Don't know how we're going to pull off the upset then.