Changes in Branding for Athletics

Meanwhile down the street, the US Men's Soccer team will be playing in front of a sold-out Busch Stadium at 530 that nite (Nov 13). Oh, and most government entities release bad news on Friday afternoon/early evening. Why are we burying the news?

Why not do this at a time without a competing sporting event or at least on a day not leading into a weekend?

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone find any other examples of this olson's company logo designs?

Hoping for the best, but expecting the worse. I tried to Google - Olson with NCAA rebrand - and did not find anything. Olson is an Ad-Agency out of Minneapolis - attached is a list of their clients - only University is University of Minnesota - but they have not had a rebrand of Goldy Gopher (forever?)

https://olson.com/about/

I'm just wondering if Nike had any input into the design (probably not), because when they handle an athletics rebrand the normally launch in March or April - Arizona State (4/13/11), Oregon State (3/4/2013), Illinois (4/16/2014), Arkansas (4/21/2014) and Army (4/14/2015)

The Press Release stated that they are going to phase this new branding over the next 18 months, so I guess the basketball team will have new uniforms this year, but they won't redo the court till next year, unless they magically have a new court waiting in the background.

Toky would've done a nice job with this.

As would at least 4-5 other firms in town. Sending it out was moronic (and disrespectful).

But in good overall St. Louis (region, not U.) tradition. Look at those dreadful "wayfinding" signs for which the CVC paid a bundle and which still, among other things, direct people to The Loop via Kingshighway.

Just saw a few of the billiken logos. Do not have them as they were on someone's phone. All I can say is it is a step backward, is very similar to the St Bonnie's logo and is a missed opportunity. Unreal

Just had a look at the St.Bonnies logo. Yuck. Really glad I bought a Billikens tie last year before they switch out the design. The one I have looks really good.

The worst part of this, if this turns out to be a fiasco, is that I doubt SLU will do anything in response to negative criticism. They'll just use the bad rebrand for the next 10-20 years.

By contrast, Marquette made a stupid decision 10 years ago to change their team names to the Marquette Gold, and switched back to the Golden Eagles shortly thereafter amidst negative responses.

The worst part of this, if this turns out to be a fiasco, is that I doubt SLU will do anything in response to negative criticism. They'll just use the bad rebrand for the next 10-20 years.

By contrast, Marquette made a stupid decision 10 years ago to change their team names to the Marquette Gold, and switched back to the Golden Eagles shortly thereafter amidst negative responses.

Oh good I get to post this.

0721051gold1.jpg

While we're on the topic of egregious uses of the university's brand, I have some bad news, fellas: the duck shirt is SOLD OUT in size large.

It is, however, available in 2X-5X, which is somewhat surprising to me, as I figured this shirt would've appealed more to our beefier fans.

If you wear a large, I suppose you could try your luck on eBay. Godspeed.

http://shop.slubillikens.com/COLLEGE_Saint_Louis_Billikens_Mens_T-Shirts/Saint_Louis_Billikens_Winners_Migrate_T-Shirt_-_Royal_Blue

While we're on the topic of egregious uses of the university's brand, I have some bad news, fellas: the duck shirt is SOLD OUT in size large.

It is, however, available in 2X-5X, which is somewhat surprising to me, as I figured this shirt would've appealed more to our beefier fans.

If you wear a large, I suppose you could try your luck on eBay. Godspeed.

http://shop.slubillikens.com/COLLEGE_Saint_Louis_Billikens_Mens_T-Shirts/Saint_Louis_Billikens_Winners_Migrate_T-Shirt_-_Royal_Blue

I heard that Tatum was set to commit on ESPN to SLU. When Crews handed him the winners migrate shirt to hold up, he changed his commitment to Duke.

I heard that Tatum was set to commit on ESPN to SLU. When Crews handed him the winners migrate shirt to hold up, he changed his commitment to Duke.

I'm sorry, but I just don't believe that's true. If anything, I suspect they FORGOT to show Tatum the duck shirt, and that's why they were unable to seal the deal.

Also, please add the duck tagline to your signature. Anyone who is committed to making SLU a winning program should do it. Thanks.