SLU buying back hospital and merging it into SSM

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible that you're both right? BJC has, and continues, to invest a fortune in the county. Generally, I think people go to the Kingshighway location because they need to, not because they care where it's located. I think they'd rather go to the most convenient location for the patient and their family.

Well isn't that true of everything - you choose convenience unless you have to go somewhere further away due to your needs

Selling to Tenet was not optimal for SLU Hospital, it's employees, or our community. Tenet is a credible for profit chain but it's expertise is in the rural hospital marketplace. They had inadequate experience to venture into a top 20 metropolitan environment. Bad move both ways.

Well before the sale, nationally, most urban hospitals had organized into IDN's. SLU hospital could not stand alone. There were two good matches in town, SSM & Mercy. Either would have been a better option, by far.

Being a key cog in a like minded integrated delivery network like SSM (or Mercy) all of those years would have been optimal had Biondi understood these healthcare dynamics.

It is very good that the hospital is now with SSM, but the hospital was set back. Time to move forward.

Selling to Tenet was not optimal for SLU Hospital, it's employees, or our community. Tenet is a credible for profit chain but it's expertise is in the rural hospital marketplace. They had little expertise to venture into a top 20 metropolitan environment. Bad move both ways.

Well before the sale, nationally, most urban hospitals had organized into IDN's. SLU hospital could not stand alone. There were two good matches in town, SSM & Mercy. Either would have been a better option, by far.

Being a key cog in a like minded integrated delivery network like SSM (or Mercy) all of those years would have been optimal had Biondi understood these healthcare dynamics.

It is good that the hospital is now with SSM, but the hospital paid a price for the blunder, all these years have set it back.

Tenent got its start in LA. They owned hospitals all over southern California, hospitals in Dallas, Houston and Miami before they bought SLU Hospital.

Tenent got its start in LA. They owned hospitals all over southern California, hospitals in Dallas, Houston and Miami before they bought SLU Hospital.

Typical of your balderdash. Well worded, misleading generalities.

Yes they owned some medium/small urban hospitals back then.

When Tenet bought SLU they mostly owned medium/small southern hospitals including NME in southern California as you saw when you looked it up in Wikipedia or whatever. Shortly after the transaction I dined with a Tenet VP who candidly expressed his concern that Tenet would attempt to build a robust IDN in St. Louis. It was a controversial risk to see if they could succeed with a university hospital and build a network and expand into a more northern urban environment and develop large IDN's.

They are down to 80 hospitals nationally, now. Did they succeed?

Typical of your balderdash. Well worded, misleading generalities.

Yes they owned some medium/small urban hospitals back then.

When Tenet bought SLU they mostly owned medium/small southern hospitals including NME in southern California as you saw when you looked it up in Wikipedia or whatever. Shortly after the transaction I dined with a Tenet VP who candidly expressed his concern that Tenet would attempt to build a robust IDN in St. Louis. It was a controversial risk to see if they could succeed with a university hospital and build a network and expand into a more northern urban environment and develop large IDN's.

They are down to 80 hospitals nationally, now. Did they succeed?

Also, NME isn't/wasn't a hospital. It is what Tenent was called before they changed the name.

Tenant is NME. They just changed their name.[/quote

NME + AMI = Tenet.

NME bought AMI. The NME officers stayed in place. They changed the name because NME was scandal plagued.

Tenent is NME just like Caitliyn Jenner is still Bruce Jenner.

Typical of an MB argument, he asserts conclusions and claims "observers" agree w/him, yet fails to actually cite any support for this claim. All conclusions + no support = MB's debate style. He has some reasonable statements from time to time, but it's tough to take anything he says as credible.

Typical of an MB argument, he asserts conclusions and claims "observers" agree w/him, yet fails to actually cite any support for this claim. All conclusions + no support = MB's debate style. He has some reasonable statements from time to time, but it's tough to take anything he says as credible.

Not sure what you mean other than to once again slime me, but I happen to know many experts in the healthcare field. There are several reasons for the opinion I presented, some of which I do not feel comfortable elaborating upon, though I have lobbed out one or two. So just decide if you want to hear my opinion or just move on, moytoyboy.

In Atlanta, Tenet owns Atlanta Medical Ctr. Its a major urban 500 bed Level 1 Trauma teaching hospital.

SO? Yes, Tenet bought it around the same time as SLU, who is to say it is successful and they aren't trying to unload it, too? Maybe it has thrived, I don't know. FYI, IDN's are not easily comparable, very complex dynamics. Tenet buying into the St. Louis market was a huge question mark from the start, but perhaps the conditions, the competition, etcetera, was more favorable in Atlanta.

I can't believe Mayo still invests in their Rochester campus.

You are comparing The Mayo Foundation to SLU Hospital? Or BJC? Please tell me everything, give me the details of your analysis.

My post was obviously in jest, but Barnes is a top 3 hospital in the midwest behind Mayo and Northwestern (Cleveland Clinic if you want to count that as midwest, but I don't.) Its not some place that needs to be moved to the suburbs to be closer to the white people projects. It is damn near in the center of the metro population. I don't see what the issue with them reinvesting in that central location?

Not sure what you mean other than to once again slime me, but I happen to know many experts in the healthcare field. There are several reasons for the opinion I presented, some of which I do not feel comfortable elaborating upon, though I have lobbed out one or two. So just decide if you want to hear my opinion or just move on, moytoyboy.

I mean that you rarely, if ever, provide any support for your conclusions other than just to "trust you". In your response earlier, you stated a number observers agree with your point of view. Can you point us to 1 of these experts and is there anything we could read that would support your statement? I'd likely learn something.

There's a Chesterfield boomer who believes that every square inch of STL City is descending into the deepest depths of hell, and it's so obvious that he doesn't even need to explain it.

You could tell that the moment Kingshighway at Forest Park was referred to as "downtown".