SLU buying back hospital and merging it into SSM

Back to the topic of slu hospital

those of you that love to shred all things biondi, good for biondi insisting on the first right of refusal if tenet ever wanted to resell the hospital. I would think slu would have likely been left out or at least at a negotiable disadvantage to be a part of ssm had they not possessed that valuable card.

While many of you loved bombing biondi at every opportunity slu would not be where it is today had father biondi never come to saint louis university

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This means almost zero, nothing, though to you it might.

Yes, I think SLU's alliance with SSM will help.

And I understand the dynamics, including the east side piece, not just Chesterfield; all of this is not that simple.

I do think that pounding $ 2.5 billion into bricks and mortar downtown will not pay off, and so do some other healthcare observers.

Actually the total population that the surrounds the hospital and the demographics of that population matter. This isn't a poor group of people that lack health insurance moving into the area. It is a rapidly gentrifying area with professionals moving in.

Actually the total population that the surrounds the hospital and the demographics of that population matter. This isn't a poor group of people that lack health insurance moving into the area. It is a rapidly gentrifying area with professionals moving in.

Nice try.

Back to the topic of slu hospital

those of you that love to shred all things biondi, good for biondi insisting on the first right of refusal if tenet ever wanted to resell the hospital. I would think slu would have likely been left out or at least at a negotiable disadvantage to be a part of ssm had they not possessed that valuable card.

While many of you loved bombing biondi at every opportunity slu would not be where it is today had father biondi never come to saint louis university

His handling of the hospital is one matter in which I've completely supported him all along.

40,000, what?

Our St. Louis City limits population is estimated at 317,000 for 2014, I think an all time low. It was actually 319,000 just a few years ago.

It was 850,000 in the '50's.

If you think St. Louis City is robust, growing, and that prosperity is on the way, I hope you are right, but...

40,000, what?

Our St. Louis City limits population is estimated at 317,000 for 2014, I think an all time low. 319,000 a few years ago.

It was 850,000 in the '50's.

If you think St. Louis City is robust, growing, prosperity is on the way, I hope you are right, but...

40,000 people living in the 3 wards closest to the hospital. The population in the city overall will probably remain flat or decline slightly. But, the population in the area surrounding SLU Hospital is growing and gentrifying. Plus, it should be pointed out that St Louis County population declined by 1.7% in the last census.

SLU Hospital has a growing population surrounding its immediate location, is centrally located for the entire metro area and is the closest level 1 trauma center to large parts of southeast MO/east central IL/ southern IL. Those are big plusses for the hospital moving forward.

40,000 people living in the 3 wards closest to the hospital. The population in the city overall will probably remain flat or decline slightly. But, the population in the area surrounding SLU Hospital is growing and gentrifying. Plus, it should be pointed out that St Louis County population declined by 1.7% in the last census.

SLU Hospital has a growing population surrounding its immediate location, is centrally located for the entire metro area and is the closest level 1 trauma center to large parts of southeast MO/east central IL/ southern IL. Those are big plusses for the hospital moving forward.

This

Yes SLU does a lot of trauma work. Think.

RE: claims that the population is growing in St. Louis City, as Rodney would say, "Fantasyland"!!

Exactly what was fantasyland? The population growth for those three wards are from the 2000 and 2010 census. Its location is a geographic fact. It is in fact a level 1 trauma center.

Yes SLU does a lot of trauma work. Think.

RE: claims that the population is growing in St. Louis City, as Rodney would say, "Fantasyland"!!

Never claimed the population of St Louis City as a whole was growing. In fact I stated earlier in this thread that City's population will probably remain flat or decline slightly. The combined population in the wards surrounding SLU is growing. That is a provable fact. You can examine the census numbers yourself.

SLU doesn't just do a lot of trauma work. It is a level 1 trauma center.

Perhaps with a new prez (who appears to have a much broader vision for "success" than his predecessors for the past 40 years or so), SLU will start to catch up to the extra-campus development at which WashU has excelled for the past 40 years or so.

I think it was the opposite. Biondi took stock for the sale and did not sell. Tenet stock sank and the University ended up selling at a low.

I don't remember that being the case but I could be wrong. This article says it was 300 million dollars and provided an "infusion of cash". The biggest thing I remember was the fight with the Archbishop who didn't want SLU to sell a Catholic hospital and tried to block it. I think Rigali was the bishop at the time.

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/print-edition/2012/02/17/will-biondi-discharge-tenet-at-slu.html

In all of this discussion about SLU Hospital, the city, BJC and its move west, there is one factor that appears to have been missed, and that is the SSM linkup. SSM is a large consortium of hospitals in the metropolitan area, and maybe beyond (I do not know how far they extend). The important thing in the linkage with SSM is that SLU which gets a seat in SSM and apparently a vote, will become the academic underpinning of the SSM organization. This is a wonderful piece of news since it allows the academic activities of SLU (in Medical issues) to expand beyond the core metropolitan area of Saint Louis. This will create a position for the SLU hospital as the tertiary facility place where the tough cases and the academic research take place. From the point of view of SLU it could not be a better development.

In all of this discussion about SLU Hospital, the city, BJC and its move west, there is one factor that appears to have been missed, and that is the SSM linkup. SSM is a large consortium of hospitals in the metropolitan area, and maybe beyond (I do not know how far they extend). The important thing in the linkage with SSM is that SLU which gets a seat in SSM and apparently a vote, will become the academic underpinning of the SSM organization. This is a wonderful piece of news since it allows the academic activities of SLU (in Medical issues) to expand beyond the core metropolitan area of Saint Louis. This will create a position for the SLU hospital as the tertiary facility place where the tough cases and the academic research take place. From the point of view of SLU it could not be a better development.

++

My spouse is a radiologist and is beginning the nuclear medicine program at SLU this fall. She is very excited at this turn of events. Should turn SLU hospital back into a regional and hopefully a national power in attracting top flight doctors and staff, which in turn will be an enormous beneift to the University and the area surrounding it.

Never claimed the population of St Louis City as a whole was growing. In fact I stated earlier in this thread that City's population will probably remain flat or decline slightly. The combined population in the wards surrounding SLU is growing. That is a provable fact. You can examine the census numbers yourself.

SLU doesn't just do a lot of trauma work. It is a level 1 trauma center.

You think a few ward's minor growth in a city with a stagnant population that continues into other decline will result in better results for mid city / inner city hospitals? Oh.

The problem with St. Louis and the stagnation of the city's growth is that the entire region is a broken fractured mess that only wants to compete against itself instead of being competitive against outside regions. It all started with the flight to the counties, and unfortunately most of the people living in STL county could care less about the state of STL city even today....

As far as academic teaching hospitals go, many of them that have worldwide fame as centers of advanced medicine are located right smack in portions of the city that are plainly not safe. This is (or was) the case with Johns Hopkins hospital where the facilities as far back as the time when I was interviewing for intenship spots were guarded by 10 feet chain link fences with double stranded barbed wire on top, and the medical campus had guards with dogs and shotguns (this is the 1970s, I have no idea what it is like now). These are places that have world level medical reputations and attract a lot of researchers and conferences, despite the fences, guards, and dogs. SLU Hospital is located in a much nicer area than Johns Hopkins Hospital is but needs the connections with SSM to grow its academic reputation. Pestello is very good!