Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

Class updates:

New Orleans offered Kevin Easley (for some reason) while they also offered his teammates Antwaan Cushingberry (another SLU recruit) and 2019 player Dexter Shouse. Easley is already way beyond UNO's level; he's the #2 2018 prospect in Indiana and took his most recent visit to Michigan State. It was Cushingberry's first offer despite a lot of interest in the small PG.

Tim Finke took an unofficial visit to nearby Illinois. He will start alongside his brother at Champaign Central this season.

Courtney Ramey had Creighton out to see him this month and tagged along on Nate Morris' official visit to Ole Miss (unofficial for Ramey; Ole Miss has offered).

Jericole Hellems is beginning to show up in some 150 rankings heading into the season and has a couple new mixtapes available, but still very little chatter about what schools are paying attention in the early going.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very curious--what did you say to the father of a recruit?

Not much. He started the conversation with me. Asked about the arena and facilities. I asked who his kid was and where they were from.

Class updates:

New Orleans offered Kevin Easley (for some reason) while they also offered his teammates Antwaan Cushingberry (another SLU recruit) and 2019 player Dexter Shouse. Easley is already way beyond UNO's level; he's the #2 2018 prospect in Indiana and took his most recent visit to Michigan State. It was Cushingberry's first offer despite a lot of interest in the small PG.

Tim Finke took an unofficial visit to nearby Illinois. He will start alongside his brother at Champaign Central this season.

Courtney Ramey had Creighton out to see him this month and tagged along on Nate Morris' official visit to Ole Miss (unofficial for Ramey; Ole Miss has offered).

Jericole Hellems is beginning to show up in some 150 rankings heading into the season and has a couple new mixtapes available, but still very little chatter about what schools are paying attention in the early going.

Sooooo we won't land any of these guys.

When a recruit is 'offered a scholarship' what exactly is exchanged? Is it a verbal offer or something in writing? Can an assistant offer a scholarship, or only a head coach? It seems to me that something solid would need to be exchanged, or confusion might reign a year or two down the line.

Normally the head coach makes the final decision. An offer means nothing really - it simply means that you have an interest in them coming but the school is not held to it. They can change their minds anytime and really do not even have to tell the kid. The simply does not get a schollie to sign. This is why all this worry about when a kid is offered is kind of silly. Schools offer more kids then they have slots so you know it doesn't really mean anything this early.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2018 class updates:

Easley remains a stud with high-level attention. Most recent recruiting news is behind a pay wall, but Maryland is coming on strong lately. Monmouth is his most recent offer, but like the UNO offer before it, they're late to the party.

Illinois remains the primary suitor for local stud Tim Finke but plenty of others are involved. DePaul was out to see him recently. He suffered a concussion in mid-December but is playing again.

Gordon will be playing in the Highland Shootout - everyone should go see that event if you can, by the way - along with other 2018 names like Caleb Frederking (Noah's younger brother), Jericole Hellems, Jontay Porter, and Cardell McGee.

Illinois coaches Groce and Walker were out to see Courtney Ramey practice this week; Mizzou was out the week before. He had a very good visit to Illinois, as well.

Mizzou HC Kim Anderson and K-State assistant Chris Lowery were out to watch Watson last week. Watson scored 33 in front of K-State HC Bruce Weber over Thanksgiving weekend.

Jericole Hellems is showing up in the 100-150 range in some recruiting rankings.

Drew Peterson from Libertyville is having a breakout sophomore season; he's hearing from SLU, NIU, Illinois State, Bradley, Western Illinois, and Loyola-Chicago.

Jericole Hellems is showing up in the 100-150 range in some recruiting rankings.

No kidding? He definitely looks improved from last season. He is one of those kids who currently seems to lack the true athleticism to be a top 100 type recruit, but I wonder if he is still kind of growing into his body. Not relevant to his potential (just odd), he rolls his shorts up making them almost look like soccer shorts (looks rather gay).

No kidding? He definitely looks improved from last season. He is one of those kids who currently seems to lack the true athleticism to be a top 100 type recruit, but I wonder if he is still kind of growing into his body. Not relevant to his potential (just odd), he rolls his shorts up making them almost look like soccer shorts (looks rather gay).

Hey, it worked for Chris Obekpa when he was at St. John's.

Hellems was 146th on one list and fringe-100 on another I saw. Of course I can't find them now; they weren't the bigger services.

Notable names on the Future150 2018 rankings:

28. Carte'Are Gordon

48. Tim Finke

54. Kevin Easley

76. Courtney Ramey

92. Torrence Watson

Jontay Porter is 60th but he's already committed to Washington.

Hey, it worked for Chris Obekpa when he was at St. John's.

I did not know that name, but some interesting Google images of the guy. Hellems only rolls up the waistband I am assuming (unless they ordered him really short shorts), it looks like in some images of Obekpa he kind of tucked the legs of the shorts into his compression shorts or something (making it look like he was wearing a diaper almost). I guess some guys want to bring back the short shorts.

Notable names on the Future150 2018 rankings:

28. Carte'Are Gordon

48. Tim Finke

54. Kevin Easley

76. Courtney Ramey

92. Torrence Watson

Jontay Porter is 60th but he's already committed to Washington.

%s of landing each player:

28. Carte'Are Gordon - 0%

48. Tim Finke - 0%

54. Kevin Easley - 0%

76. Courtney Ramey - 0%

92. Torrence Watson - 0%

More than 0%, less than 100%.

If I were the new coach, I'd pitch them as SLU's Fab Five. Stay home (or close to home), start right away, you won't compete with each other for minutes because you're already a pretty natural lineup, and be the heroes that resurrect this program. Boom. How's that for a pipe dream?

If I were the new coach, I'd pitch them as SLU's Fab Five. Stay home (or close to home), start right away, you won't compete with each other for minutes because you're already a pretty natural lineup, and be the heroes that resurrect this program. Boom. How's that for a pipe dream?

Jim Crews' chance of landing these guys? 1%

Why come here to overreact to upsets of the thousand-seat-arena club when you can be smashing face with Tony Bennett and competing for the final four?

We need an exciting coach to get back on the radar.

I remember when Soderberg tried this. It didn't work.

We had the Fab two --- Douglas and Gray. Then we had our Fab Four ---- Claggett, Highmark, Winfield, and Bickel. Then our Fab Legend & Company --- Hughes,Baniak,Tatum, Heinrich and Redden. All of these were St. Louis-centric classes. We've had some sort of group. Again, sustainability was fleeting.

I remember when Soderberg tried this. It didn't work.

I said if I were the coach - not Crews or Sodie.

(Also, just a pipe dream. But the point is that we should set our sights high for this group and whoever is hired in spring should make them very high priorities.)

• 2 weeks later...

-I took a look at Verbal Commits to see what schools were listed as showning interest in Gordon and it's a good list - KSt, Mizzou, Illinois, Iowa, UNLV, Cinn, SLU, Purdue and KU - interesting development - does this have anything to do with the Webster talk from the summer?