Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything new regarding where we stand with Jordan Goodwin? I realize that his recruitment may be a little different with him playing football this fall.

Everything I hear from people close to the situation is SLU was leading. SLU took their foot off the gas and let others pass them by in terms of showing interest. Now Illinois' to lose at this point imo.

Everything I hear from people close to the situation is SLU was leading. SLU took their foot off the gas and let others pass them by in terms of showing interest. Now Illinois' to lose at this point imo.

Not tall enough for the rigors of the A10.

I don't know anybody close to the situation but in early June he was quoted saying that SLU, Indiana and Creighton are recruiting him hardest. SLU offered in early August. I just find it hard to believe over the months of June and July, which is mostly dead period, a school that was leading for a kid could take their foot off the gas enough to fall behind.

Like I said no inside info from me but I would think it's more of a factor that he was very impressed with Illinois when he visited there because I do agree they seem to be in the lead for him now.

I don't know anybody close to the situation but in early June he was quoted saying that SLU, Indiana and Creighton are recruiting him hardest. SLU offered in early August. I just find it hard to believe over the months of June and July, which is mostly dead period, a school that was leading for a kid could take their foot off the gas enough to fall behind.

Like I said no inside info from me but I would think it's more of a factor that he was very impressed with Illinois when he visited there because I do agree they seem to be in the lead for him now.

He was frustrated at a lack of an offer, meanwhile Illinois ramped up their recruiting of him. He visited, was blown away on the visit, and they have leapfrogged us.

The success of this season will indicate to recruits whether we are coming back to respectability or heading to the doldrums for the next 5-6 years.

Right now, I give about a 15% chance that the former happens. If we lose 20 games, there is no reason for players of Goodwin's ilk to feel excitement to come play in midtown.

Yea I guess I am just surprised not getting an offer from the end of May, when Illinois offered, to beginning of August would frustrate a kid that much. July 12th is the day that will live in infamy around here so it seemed SLU had at least 2 coaches going to every Eagles game until then so hard to imagine they weren't still talking to Goodwin during that time.

I do think this is a do or die year for Groce on making the tournament. He has had some bad luck with injuries but last year making the tournament was still within their reach but had a poor showing in the big ten tournament. Illinois hasn't gone 2 years without making the tournament since 91-92 and Groce has now gone 2 years. If he doesn't make the tournament this year, I would not be surprised at all if they decide to make a change.

I have never been to U of I, so I have no comment on the school, but doesn't Groce enter the season on the hot seat?

Unless the Illini miss postseason altogether, Groce isn't going anywhere. He's bringing in one of the top freshmen classes in the Big 10 and is their best hope of landing Tillmon and DaMonte Williams in the 2017 class.

Unless the Illini miss postseason altogether, Groce isn't going anywhere. He's bringing in one of the top freshmen classes in the Big 10 and is their best hope of landing Tillmon and DaMonte Williams in the 2017 class.

Id be surprised if Williams went anywhere but Illinois regardless of the coach. Groce will be spared this offseason unless the new AD there decides to hurry a decision. It may also have a monetary concern with Beckmans buyout or not. No buyout for Beckman would mean more money to buy out Groce.

• 4 weeks later...

2017 updates:

Mizzou was out to see Nojel Eastern recently; his latest offer is from the closest school to him, Northwestern.

Zach Gunn was in the house for Butler's 144-point outburst against the Citadel.

Nate Pierre Louis' latest offer is from East Carolina. He has a ton of offers, many from BCS-conference schools, but it's hard to say which are fresh and which are stale. LaSalle was the last to offer before ECU.

Jared Ridder played extremely well at the NEP Fall Ball KC Invite Camp, "the top wing prospect, scoring from all over the floor." He visited UNI in October.

Jeremiah Tilmon said it was a culture shock at first at La Lumiere because it's "out in the country and has a dress code" and so forth, but has adjusted and says he has a lot of tutor assistance everyday. He added that going against other true bigs has helped him in practice, and word out of outside scrimmages thus far is that he's looked great. He said the schools showing interest lately are Iowa, KU, K-State, Purdue, Mizzou, and Illinois, and that UNC visited him at ESL but hasn't been up to his new school yet.

Wyatt Yess was at the Hartford game along with Brennan Schofield (2018) and their parents.

Nana Akenten will be at the Illinois State game tonight; they're making him a high priority. He was at a Valpo home game recently. He took an unofficial visit to UIC earlier this month, and Nebraska has begun to show interest.

Collin Stallworth is looking more and more like a football prospect instead of a basketball recruit.

A few other new offers here and there, but not a ton of news for this class as most news right now is focused on the early 2016 signing period.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in watching two teams with more talent than the 2015-2016 Saint Louis Billikens, Chaminade is playing Oak Hill on ESPN right now.

The 2016 class is mostly spoken for - Tatum to Duke, Cook to Iowa, Lewis to Duquesne - but Gladson has yet to commit or sign, and CCP has some underclassmen worth watching.

19-18, Oak Hill after the first quarter.

Tatum remains an astonishing talent.

Reggie Crawford is a junior who just nailed a 3 from the corner. He's going D-I in football, though, and Notre Dame might be the frontrunner.

Marin Vrucinic is a 6-5 junior from Croatia. He'll be one to watch as the season goes on. Quiet so far, but the kid can really play. Keep track of this name, recruiting nerds. We've had Euro kids show up at CCP before and not last; maybe this kid will stick around. I sure hope so.

I'll be interested to see where Gladson ends up. Probably Ivy League.

Reggie Crawford is a junior who just nailed a 3 from the corner. He's going D-I in football, though, and Notre Dame might be the frontrunner.

Marin Vrucinic is a 6-5 junior from Croatia. He'll be one to watch as the season goes on. Quiet so far, but the kid can really play. Keep track of this name, recruiting nerds. We've had Euro kids show up at CCP before and not last; maybe this kid will stick around. I sure hope so.

Gladson has had major knee problems, right?

Gladson has had major knee problems, right?

Yeah, he was a big-time recruit before blowing out one knee, and then he blew out the other as the following season started. Bad luck. He said his official visits would be SLU, Mizzou, Lehigh, Brown, and Princeton, I believe.

When I watched them the other night I believe their backups could win a district title. They are very very good and deep.

Good showing against #5 Oak Hill (CCP was ranked #13 nationally coming in), but the comeback was too little, too late. Bennett had no answers for the 2-3 zone Oak Hill ran, and the second (and early third) quarter got out of hand. Chaminade actually took the lead in the fourth for a minute, but once Oak Hill retook it, that was it. Cook and Tatum went into half with 3 fouls apiece and played tentative on defense, conceding layups.

Cook has typically looked much better than this. Tatum showed flashes in the first half but took a while to take over. The last few minutes showed their worst-case scenario from the past couple years - playing from behind, and Tatum trying to do it all himself, jacking up dumb shots, but those all came with under a minute and CCP down multiple scores.

Oak Hill is very good and very deep. Nothing new there.

Watching this game I'm really disappointed we couldn't land Cook. Yeah Tatum too but Cook would have been huge for the program since it would have been 4 years of him.

Cook had ZERO interest in staying in STL. I understand that mentality. We had a better shot at Tatum than we ever had in Cook. We had a better shot at Lebron James...