Pujols Gone

Tonka

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't blame the Cards for this and I can't blame AP. I think they did the right thing by letting this one go to the Angels. Thanks for the 11 years and good luck.

I think this was the best thing to happen to the Cards, since I really don't see Albert's production being outstanding for more than another 3-5 years.

I have a funny feeling this will come back and bite the Angels hard. Whether it be production drop off sooner than expected, injuries, etc.

I don't blame Albert at all and I wish him luck, but not sure I'll really cheer for him.

I think this was the best thing to happen to the Cards, since I really don't see Albert's production being outstanding for more than another 3-5 years.

I have a funny feeling this will come back and bite the Angels hard. Whether it be production drop off sooner than expected, injuries, etc.

I don't blame Albert at all and I wish him luck, but not sure I'll really cheer for him.

Probably the best for all involved. My Cubs get him out of the Central. Cards are worse in the near-term, but a lot more flexible long term. Angels get a huge name. Pujols goes somewhere he can DH part time and save some of the wear and tear on his body. No way in hell is he a 25 mill a year guy at age "41" unless he hits 40 HRs for the first 8 years and is bearing down on Bonds* record.

I'll be anxious to see what other moves the Cards make now they have the money. I doubt they spend all the money they had set aside for Albert, but there is a lot of extra money now.

I don't know what I'd even want them to do. There isn't a player on the free agent market that excites me. Rollins is declining and won't get better so unless you could get him for 3 for maybe 30 I'd pass and I think he'll get overpaid this contract.

I'd make a run at Prince possibly but would want to be in the 110 -120 for 6 area and I doubt that gets it done now. I woudn't be shocked to see him get 150 or close for 7

Cuudyer or Beltran might be nice but it'd be a lot of money for OF depth and if we were looking in the OF I'd rather go CF and I'd say no to Pierre and Crisp they aren't an upgrade over Jay. One positive with Cuddyer is he can also play first so we'd have 4 to split between 1st and the corner OF spots. Lance will need some rest and Craig will probably start out on the DL so in reality with about 2000 ab's to divy up between the 3 positions getting all 4 time shouldn't be a problem.

And with Adam coming back I wouldn't be all that upset if the Cards just stood pat. I know I'm in the minority but the SS position would be Tyler's. There will be deals to be made during the year if needed.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/transactions/free-agents

Another MB73 bet down the tubes. He really needs to stay away from Vegas. Im so glad Cards didnt try and match that deal.

Yep. He told me that there was no way that Pujols would get either 7 or more years or $200 million guaranteed. Also interesting is that Pujols has a no-trade clause with the Angels. MB73 is supposed to come on this board and state that he was wrong. I think he is stand up enough to do so, but we will see.

As for the Cards, it sure seemed like they put all of their eggs in the Pujols basket and assumed he would take less to play here than elsewhere. There are no big splash free agents left, other than Fielder. If they weren't willing to pay Pujols that type of money, it would be hard to see them paying Fielder. One possibility is that Hanley Ramirez wants to be traded from Florida. Perhaps we can package a couple of prospects and pry him away. That would at least take some of the sting away from losing Pujols.

Yep. He told me that there was no way that Pujols would get either 7 or more years or $200 million guaranteed. Also interesting is that Pujols has a no-trade clause with the Angels. MB73 is supposed to come on this board and state that he was wrong. I think he is stand up enough to do so, but we will see.

He's still asleep. Duke Lacrosse party went well into this morning.

As for the Cards, it sure seemed like they put all of their eggs in the Pujols basket and assumed he would take less to play here than elsewhere. There are no big splash free agents left, other than Fielder. If they weren't willing to pay Pujols that type of money, it would be hard to see them paying Fielder. One possibility is that Hanley Ramirez wants to be traded from Florida. Perhaps we can package a couple of prospects and pry him away. That would at least take some of the sting away from losing Pujols.

Hanley scares me. Poor attitude and 2 straight declining years. I'd prefer Drew who may become available during the season. Not outstanding but a good glove and an above average ss bat. May cost more in prospects though than I'd want to give up IF he became available mid season.

i dont know if i would do anything besides find a reasonably priced shortstop and second baseman.

even though i tend to also agree albert is older than he says, i believe he will play longer than fielder due to fielder's horrible physical condition. it is bound to catch up to him.

i wouldnt sign rollins who is definitely on the down side of his career.

to me the second best free agent was reyes, and he is already gone.

save the money and wait for the next year's crop or wait until the annual firesales in july and grab someone then.

Another MB73 bet down the tubes. He really needs to stay away from Vegas. Im so glad Cards didnt try and match that deal.

It doesn't change the fact that he is 3+ yrs older than he claims. Cardinals and MLB do not want that out there. Same reason as steroids, they hid from that issue thru the early '90's until 2004. Hurts the game, he is a star. But it will come out eventually. Hrabosky, SL Post (Monday), ESPN have all made statements that teams were concerned about his age. Even Whitey, though a rumor, has been linked to the Pujols age thing.

If the Angels have the $$$ to piss away on AP (and CJ Wilson), good for them. They just got some new TV deal, right? But if the AP deal is firm, they are still idiots.

I still speculate that it is not "firm" $ 25M for 10 yrs: options, conditional upon games played, etc.

What do you think he will hit in 2021? 2020? 2019? 2018? 2017? 2016?

He will eventually be a DH so his injury prone final yrs can be extended, he can get his beloved stats.

I say, in 3 yrs, he will be at .270-25-85 if he can play a full yr without injuries. Dime a dozen.

But 2016-2021? Ridiculous.

I also said he would NOT sign with Cardinals because they understood the quandry, and would just try to play it out and make it look good for the fans. You missed that, smart ass.

And I also posted a few days after TLR retired that Matheny was the chosen one... tabbed as TLR successor 2-3 yrs ago... but that I did not think he would get it because Matheny declined to take full time job as minor league mgr for family reasons... thought the powers would not take that well. But he got it, didn't he? Look it up, ******.

McGwire crashed to .185 whey he was 38. Look at Edmonds when he hit 37-38. Most all of 'em hit a wall. Eyes, injuries, even with the juice.

Think.

If he was really going to be 32 in Jan, Cardinals would have proactively signed him 3 yrs ago for 8 yrs or so, $ 25M a yr.

The Cardinal organization is pleased... they are off the hook with the sheep. Even the stupidest fans think Cardinals offered him $ 200M (they didn't) and / or AP is greedy and / or Angels out bid us with ridiculous offer so we had no chance.

Hanley scares me. Poor attitude and 2 straight declining years. I'd prefer Drew who may become available during the season. Not outstanding but a good glove and an above average ss bat. May cost more in prospects though than I'd want to give up IF he became available mid season.

I agree with your assessment on Ramirez's attitude and last 2 seasons. However, obtaining Ramirez in a trade would help ease the public sting of losing Pujols. Hanley is a 'name', and when he is right, he gives a team a middle of the order hitter at SS. Just 2 seasons ago he led the league in hitting, and he has 25-30 HR power. Not often that you can get a legit 30-30 hitter, and he is still under 30. I think it is a risk worth taking.