Jayson Tatum

SLUDrew

I remember a conversation in 1997 at the Shoe dinner table that included a player on the 96-97 team. The player was adamant that Larry Hughes was going to be "just a freshman" and wasn't guaranteed to start. It was an absurd discussion at the time and looks even more absurd as time passed and he led us to the NCAA tourney. I'd say calling Tatum "a good addition" is a similar level of absurdity.

No kidding. The kid's at the top for a reason. And he's not going to be pushed out or underutilized by a team's system; any coach worth his salt is going to redesign that system to cater to Tatum's strengths.

It seems now all the top 5 pretty much go to one of the 7-8 elite programs. I think the reasons are as follows in their order of priority; peer status, kind of like the valedictorian wants to go to an Ivy. National exposure, the top programs get the most TV time in games and on ESPN, publications as well like SI, ESPN mag, etc. Alums playing in the NBA, their belief may be if you go to a KY or a Duke your move to the pros is easier, I don't buy this but they might. Allegiance to a certain school, he grew up,wanting to play for UNC. A better shot at NCAA championship glory. Actually, this may be the third reason.

Given the above, the deck is really stacked against us, but miracles do happen. But if he's still número uno a year from now, we should expect he'll follow in the footsteps of previous number ones.

It seems now all the top 5 pretty much go to one of the 7-8 elite programs.

It may seem like that but is it really the case? Looking at the top 10 lists by ESPN over the last 6 years 2008-13 (so 60 players total) as reported by ESPN, I count 20 different schools pulling in at least one top 10 (Kentucky has 13 of them) while school like Georgia Tech, Tenn, Pitt, Mississippi St. Alabama, Louisville and UNLV all pulled one in. If we are only talking top 5 (30 total), there are 15 different schools represented.

It can be done.

No kidding. The kid's at the top for a reason. And he's not going to be pushed out or underutilized by a team's system; any coach worth his salt is going to redesign that system to cater to Tatum's strengths.

You mean like the exact opposite of what K did with Jabari last year...

It may seem like that but is it really the case? Looking at the top 10 lists by ESPN over the last 6 years 2008-13 (so 60 players total) as reported by ESPN, I count 20 different schools pulling in at least one top 10 (Kentucky has 13 of them) while school like Georgia Tech, Tenn, Pitt, Mississippi St. Alabama, Louisville and UNLV all pulled one in. If we are only talking top 5 (30 total), there are 15 different schools represented.

It can be done.

I'll aver to your research, K. However, I did say the top 5. It just seemed to me like, those 5 players all seemed to pick either KU, UK, Duke, UNC, UL, MSU, or SYR. Sure there are exceptions, but these schools seem to get the bulk of the top 5, especially Duke and UK. The reason I said top 5 was because, I'm assuming JT doesn't fall from that group.

I'll aver to your research, K. However, I did say the top 5. It just seemed to me like, those 5 players all seemed to pick either KU, UK, Duke, UNC, UL, MSU, or SYR. Sure there are exceptions, but these schools seem to get the bulk of the top 5, especially Duke and UK. The reason I said top 5 was because, I'm assuming JT doesn't fall from that group.

Then I will reiterate the final sentence: Over the past 6 years, 15 different schools have landed a top 5 player. Its not 7-8.

Ok, K, you've got me again. Did any of them choose a mid major? I know that PG who committed to SMU was ranked pretty high, but think he backed out of his commitment. I'd be over the top if we landed JT, and not ruling it out because he genuinely seems interested in doing something for the city/SLU before he leaves for the pros. Just saying most of these types leave for the bright lights. I'm hoping some other things we have going for us are his Godfather, his mom and dad, and CC. The Legend and CC must know one another from their NBA days and am maybe The Legend's whispering in his ear that CC might be the guy who could really make you NBA ready. No doubt, he'd be a huge get for SLU and the program even if it's only for one year. Still have two seasons to go before he laces 'em up for anyone, so a lot could change.

Ok, K, you've got me again. Did any of them choose a mid major? I know that PG who committed to SMU was ranked pretty high, but think he backed out of his commitment. I'd be over the top if we landed JT, and not ruling it out because he genuinely seems interested in doing something for the city/SLU before he leaves for the pros. Just saying most of these types leave for the bright lights. I'm hoping some other things we have going for us are his Godfather, his mom and dad, and CC. The Legend and CC must know one another from their NBA days and am maybe The Legend's whispering in his ear that CC might be the guy who could really make you NBA ready. No doubt, he'd be a huge get for SLU and the program even if it's only for one year. Still have two seasons to go before he laces 'em up for anyone, so a lot could change.

The only reason Mudiay backed out of his commitment was because he would not have been eligible.

Anthony Bennett also went to UNLV. Those are the closest parallels.

IT will be interesting to see how this years team progresses. One of the appealing aspects of a team to a recruit is who you play with, and I think SLU is in a much better position than when Larry was considering his options. JT has the chance to watch his future teammates develop, while he may have that option at Duke or KU he certainly does not at Kentucky....mostly one and done....If these freshman are as good as I hope they are, JT may well have a very talented and experienced team around him. I sure as hell want to see good basketball this year, but I really want to see how the freshman develop.

yep only time that happens is in the dukekansastarheelkentucky universe. put a top ten best HS player on any other type team and he will be a stud.

After following this topic pretty closely over the past several months it really seems like Mizzou and Illinois need to just pack it in. I would be extremely surprised if he went to one of those schools.

I have heard and read that Illinois is doing well with his recruitment.