Jayson Tatum

SLUDrew

Tatum is a sure thing and would be far more than a good addition. He will be the most talented player to wear a Billiken uniform in my lifetime.

Sorry but there are no sure things in college basketball just talent and kids that get into good systems that showcase their skills while fixing their weaknesses. To me Tatum is not even as good as Larry Hughes was at his age or anywhere close to Anthony Bonner who was a very successful Billiken. We have also recently had JJ, MM, and DE who were all great talents coming out of HS. Did you see those guys in your lifetime? He has alot of developing to do before he graduates from HS. Good to see all the big names on board for him since he will ultimately have to decide on the best fit for his talents. The big names try to grab every talent with a name but that does not guarantee that the kid will be successful in their system. SLU may not be that fit just because we want him. Kids die in the wrong system all the time and cannot understand why.

Also if he is best you have seen in your lifetime you must not watch much bball at all. Did you watch the FIBA U19 this summer? What did you see him do? One and done, please! I still stand by good addition to a talented roster. He will have time to prove me wrong.

Sorry but there are no sure things in college basketball just talent and kids that get into good systems that showcase their skills while fixing their weaknesses. To me Tatum is not even as good as Larry Hughes was at his age or anywhere close to Anthony Bonner who was a very successful Billiken. We have also recently had JJ, MM, and DE who were all great talents coming out of HS. Did you see those guys in your lifetime? He has alot of developing to do before he graduates from HS. Good to see all the big names on board for him since he will ultimately have to decide on the best fit for his talents. The big names try to grab every talent with a name but that does not guarantee that the kid will be successful in their system. SLU may not be that fit just because we want him. Kids die in the wrong system all the time and cannot understand why.

Also if he is best you have seen in your lifetime you must not watch much bball at all. Did you watch the FIBA U19 this summer? What did you see him do? One and done, please! I still stand by good addition to a talented roster. He will have time to prove me wrong

Echo the post above. I love RA. I love BBoy, but i think Bboy took some of Box and Won's crazy pills.

Echo the post above. I love RA. I love BBoy, but i think Bboy took some of Box and Won's crazy pills.

I don't necessarily agree with everything BBoy said, but I will say this...Tatum will be under pressure to perform where ever he goes. Maybe more so if he comes to SLU. Since we are not considered a 'Power' school, he will be expected to score 20+ PPG (maybe more) right away. Given the way he's being hyped up, some will view it as a failure (rightly or wrongly) if he doesn't do that. No doubt he is an outstanding player, but he also has high expectations.

Also if he is best you have seen in your lifetime you must not watch much bball at all. Did you watch the FIBA U19 this summer? What did you see him do? One and done, please! I still stand by good addition to a talented roster. He will have time to prove me wrong.

You do realize in the overseas tournanent he was in, Tatum was playing with and against mostly players a year older than he is.

You do realize in the overseas tournanent he was in, Tatum was playing with and against mostly players a year older than he is.

I believe he was at least a year younger than everyone else on the team. At least, that is what I thought I heard.

I saw both Bonner and Hughes play in high school and Tatum is better than both at the same point. He is light years ahead of Bonner at the same point. Bonner was a raw player coming at of high school.

This summer playing against kids in his age group, he toyed with them. He could do whatever he wanted. Tatum is the strongest high school prospect coming out of this area, maybe ever. There is no comparison to Bonner and I believe Tatum has accomplished at least rankings wise what larry did 2 years ahead of him. We'll see if Tatum can lead Chaminade to a state title and then win an AAU crown, to match Larry.

Folks, didn't mean to make a commitment from Tatum seem trivial. A commitment from Tatum would be big deal, maybe bigger then the signing of Larry H. He would be a great addition to our team. I just have doubts of his coming to SLU. Additionally, great talents go into the wrong system for their skill set every year and don't accomplish what they thought they would. Reason for 600+ transfers this summer. Majority of those players were not overrated, just wrong situation or system. There are no sure things in sports, especially after high school. Tatum is a great talent, just not to sure about the 1 and done thing yet. Looks like a 2 year but still first rounder to me. But he still has 3 years to improve as well.

Lastly, he is not the Consensus #1; that privilege goes to Thon Maker, who moved to Canada a few weeks ago and was promptly demoted by some recruiting sites or eliminated from the top 100 rankings (ESPN) by other sites. Rivals and a couple other sites still have Maker at #1. Most if not all consider Maker the overall #1 prospect outside of the NBA.

Folks, didn't mean to make a commitment from Tatum seem trivial. A commitment from Tatum would be big deal, maybe bigger then the signing of Larry H. He would be a great addition to our team. I just have doubts of his coming to SLU. Additionally, great talents go into the wrong system for their skill set every year and don't accomplish what they thought they would. Reason for 600+ transfers this summer. Majority of those players were not overrated, just wrong situation or system. There are no sure things in sports, especially after high school. Tatum is a great talent, just not to sure about the 1 and done thing yet. Looks like a 2 year but still first rounder to me. But he still has 3 years to improve as well.

Lastly, he is not the Consensus #1; that privilege goes to Thon Maker, who moved to Canada a few weeks ago and was promptly demoted by some recruiting sites or eliminated from the top 100 rankings (ESPN) by other sites. Rivals and a couple other sites still have Maker at #1. Most if not all consider Maker the overall #1 prospect outside of the NBA.

The consensus number 2 overall player in his class will be more than a good addition.

The consensus number 2 overall player in his class will be more than a good addition.

I remember a conversation in 1997 at the Shoe dinner table that included a player on the 96-97 team. The player was adamant that Larry Hughes was going to be "just a freshman" and wasn't guaranteed to start. It was an absurd discussion at the time and looks even more absurd as time passed and he led us to the NCAA tourney. I'd say calling Tatum "a good addition" is a similar level of absurdity.