OT: Haith to Tulsa

Taj79

Yeah, I know it's in the current SPUMAC thread but I don't think everyone would know to look for it there. Going from Mizzou to Tulsa is certainly going up the food chain,eh?

I think this is a bad move for Tulsa. Why would you hire this guy that's clearly underperforming, only recruiting transfers and has so many discipline problems?

I bet Biedscheid is regretting his decision about a school for a second time. Can he transfer again?

The rumor was his mother wanted him to come to SLU, but his father wanted him to go to Missouri. If that is true, I wonder what his father is thinking.

The guy is running while he can. Similar to McDermott leaving Iowa St. a few years ago to go back to the MVC. Take a new job or wait a year, under preform again, and get fired.

Looks like Tulsa is the real loser in this. They for some reason are paying Haith 1.85 a year for 7 years.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10797288/frank-haith-missouri-tigers-deal-coach-tulsa-golden-hurricane-per-sources

That's basically 13 million dollars. I doubt Mizzou even tried to match it. They were probably just glad to see him go. The real question though is what is the Tulsa AD thinking? For that kind of money they had to know they could do better.

Tulsa is coming off an NCAA bid and moving to the the AAC Conference which was composed of 3 of the last 4 NCAA Champions last yr plus Memphis and SMU. And he might actually be welcome there

What's not to like about Haith? He and Floyd Irons are two peas in a pod.

The rumor was his mother wanted him to come to SLU, but his father wanted him to go to Missouri. If that is true, I wonder what his father is thinking.

So what if we missed out on Cam. Same with Nolan Berry. Hopefully, the rise of the Billikens continues. In the past, kids like them laughed at the Bills. Now, they are not laughing but both did choose other schools over SLU. And like so many locals following the bright lights, these two did not find what they were looking for and transferred. I don't wish ill-will upon these or other youngsters, but I want the local basketball community, both the players and the coaches, to show more respect to SLU. When an offer or opening arises at SLU, I want them to realize that they either need to accept the scholarship offer or realize that a second one likely will not be coming. Hopefully, the days of 3 to 5 good players, 4 to 5 role players/bench warmers and open spots for the remaining scholarships to be "saved" - for these very transfers - are over. Personally, I believe that kids, for years, have decided to try to their "dream" school, and if it works out, then great, but if it doesn't, then there will always be room at SLU - their local "safe" choice. IMO, it all comes down to the simple laws of supply and demand. If openings are no longer certain, guaranteed or in supply at SLU, then demand for scholarships increase., and with increased demand, quality also increases. Maybe next time when Jim Crews offers a scholarship to the next Cam or the next Nolan Berry, those kids will jump at the offer and accept it.

Except that Floyd Irons actually won.

What, up 82-26 or something like that in the MO State Final, a minute to go, Irons keeps his full court press going. What sportsmanship.

Over / under Haith at Tulsa, 2.5 years.

Just watched local newsclip of Alden who wished Haith well (expected), who said he was a good coach (expected) but who also said he expected him to be coaching at Mizzou for years to come (not expected). Guess Alden wants everyone to know this was all Haith and not Alden pushing Haith out.

Again, the timing is what is equally as bad for MIzzou -- not much time for the new coach to contact/recruit the new commitments/verbal commitments. I doubt Haith will take kids like Cam to Tulsa like Cuonzo Martin may be taking kid(s) from Tennessee to Cal, but will the Mizzou guys stay or go elsewhere.

Just watched local newsclip of Alden who wished Haith well (expected), who said he was a good coach (expected) but who also said he expected him to be coaching at Mizzou for years to come (not expected). Guess Alden wants everyone to know this was all Haith and not Alden pushing Haith out.

Again, the timing is what is equally as bad for MIzzou -- not much time for the new coach to contact/recruit the new commitments/verbal commitments. I doubt Haith will take kids like Cam to Tulsa like Cuonzo Martin may be taking kid(s) from Tennessee to Cal, but will the Mizzou guys stay or go elsewhere.

Am sure they'll wait for the new coach then decide. Here's an interesting thought what if Cam said no to the new guy and contacts SLU? By my count we're full up, right? Would JC pull a Calipari and let someone go? I don't see him being that cold blooded, but it is a cold blooded business.