SLU Commit: Austin McBroom

Again, I had hoped by now RM with the momentum we have, would get us a 4* or Top 100 ESPN type developed big to come in and give us more immediate help.

We shall see.

And how often has that ever happened with RM at any of his HC stops? Maybe Keith van Horn?

It will take a "super miracle" for us to land a big that is going to contribute in any material way his freshman year. Outside of hoping for a super miracle, schools like SLU generally have to land 1-3* star bigs, give 'em time to develop and enjoy the results 2-3 years down the road. Under this scenario, we have Loe going into his 3rd year. CE is basically going into his 3rd year. JM and GG into their 2nd years. CR is the only one that we probably could have hoped for a little more out of by this point, but RM has said all along that CR was young for his year. I also believe we are going to see a very solid/good player in CR next year.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you want to show me the dustin mcguire post where i was excited/ you want to show me where i defended holding scholarships? i think you have been reading too many ace posts. i may not have attacked the moves, but i dont recall being "excited" or "ok".

You're welcome Roy. You should feel vindicated:

I have reached billiken_roy levels of posting

• Members
  • Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
  • 20,508 posts

625]

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:49 PM

ture box, however my wonder on maguire has always been "what's the rush?"

i truly believe we could have gotten a better all around player that could also shoot the three. if he was the next coming of rick mount or glen rice, then by all means pull the trigger asap. but one has to admit it is somewhat amusing that we rushed to sign maguire yet we took months to decide to offer stemler who is every bit the shooter that maguire is plus more experienced, a little taller and bigger. makes no sense.

when have i ever touted maguire? i have said he is a good shooter, but i have always expressed my concerns that there are questions about whether he can play the wing in college after being a center his entire high school career.

i have numerous times stated here that maguire isnt even the best player on edwardsville's team and that we likely would have been better taking stewart before maguire.

---------

we better get a big or two who can contribute fast this fall signing period otherwise we will be very thin on the front line in 2013-14 even if manning and gg are good.

I think you left out RL and DE who'll play on that squad.

Truth --- the college game is a guard's game.

Truth --- our front line is thin and unrefined and unknown.

Truth --- we already took one MAC all-freshman guard and that didn't turn out too well.

Truth --- roy hates Majerus the persona; roy respects Majerus the coaching tactician.

Opinion --- players are who they are; Conklin was an interior player and became a better one. We have no one identified to replace him just yet and I still contend that is job #1 for this upcoming OOC schedule.

RM is building a team unlike any that Billiken fans have seen and I think it is confusing some people. Just because guys (Manning and Glaze) don't get minutes as freshmen, doesn't mean they can't play. This is what happens on good teams. I know in Billiken teams in the past, that meant you probably weren't going to ever be a contributor. This is a roster with depth unlike we have ever seen. Also, just because Barnett didn't play a significant role last year, doesn't mean he can't play. Minutes are hard to come by. On a lot of teams in the past, Barnett would probably be a starter. A lot of good players are going to have to wait their turn. The days of guys like Dwayne Polk being essentially four-year starters is over.

RM is building a team unlike any that Billiken fans have seen and I think it is confusing some people. Just because guys (Manning and Glaze) don't get minutes as freshmen, doesn't mean they can't play. This is what happens on good teams. I know in Billiken teams in the past, that meant you probably weren't going to ever be a contributor. This is a roster with depth unlike we have ever seen. Also, just because Barnett didn't play a significant role last year, doesn't mean he can't play. Minutes are hard to come by. On a lot of teams in the past, Barnett would probably be a starter. A lot of good players are going to have to wait their turn. The days of guys like Dwayne Polk being essentially four-year starters is over.

bean-go.

Truth --- the college game is a guard's game.

Truth --- our front line is thin and unrefined and unknown.

Truth --- we already took one MAC all-freshman guard and that didn't turn out too well.

Truth --- roy hates Majerus the persona; roy respects Majerus the coaching tactician.

Opinion --- players are who they are; Conklin was an interior player and became a better one. We have no one identified to replace him just yet and I still contend that is job #1 for this upcoming OOC schedule.

Taj, our likely front-line starters will be Rob Loe, Cody Ellis, and Dwayne Evans. None of these guys is unrefined and unknown. It is possibly one the best front courts we have ever started at SLU.

Taj, our likely front-line starters will be Rob Loe, Cody Ellis, and Dwayne Evans. None of these guys is unrefined and unknown. It is possibly one the best front courts we have ever started at SLU.

Sure, but they are primarily perimiter players.

This is the best analysis I have seen on this entire subject. Big men take longer to develop than guards. Good guards are essential to compete at a high level in the modern college game. If you can get bigs who are like Anthony Davis that is great but the Bills are not likely to ever attract those "bright lights" type of one and done big men. But Rob Loe has excellent potential and he has improved greatly and gotten stronger since he arrived. He will be even better next year and he is still only a junior so he has two years to become a super developed big man. Dwayne is absolutely fantastic for his size and he is as smart a rebounder as we have ever had in terms of getting to the ball out of his area and contesting with bigger players. Cody played much better this year, particularly on defense. Cory was much better against Michigan State and as a senior I think he will give us at least 10 productive minutes a game. Then you have two sophs who are getting better. Manning is a true big man with real size and an aggressive attitude, only exceeded by Grandy in terms of toughness. I suspect Manning will play more this year but no one should give up on Grandy. With all of these players coming back and only two are seniors I can ask those of you who are just negative to be negative to point out a deeper and higher quality group of big men that we EVER had coming back for a year. I cannot remember a better and deeper group, and I suspect that eventually our young man from Indianapolis will be a fine 3/4 man before he graduates as well.

I am not going to be upset with big guys that can shoot since we used to wish the Bills had anybody that can shoot. They have 5 Pf/Cs so they have a good amount of them. They do need to replace a couple of them in the next class.

I don't mind getting a guard, I just don't know why SLU can't get a fairly athletic guard in the 6-3 range. Temple had 3 Guards at 6-4. LaSalle had Galloway. Somebody like H Waldman or Jeffers would be great. Yet, we add a 4th guard 6-0 or under. Hopefully, he is super fast.

I am not going to be upset with big guys that can shoot since we used to wish the Bills had anybody that can shoot. They have 5 Pf/Cs so they have a good amount of them. They do need to replace a couple of them in the next class.

I don't mind getting a guard, I just don't know why SLU can't get a fairly athletic guard in the 6-3 range. Temple had 3 Guards at 6-4. LaSalle had Galloway. Somebody like H Waldman or Jeffers would be great. Yet, we add a 4th guard 6-0 or under. Hopefully, he is super fast.

I read a lot about him on the internet from articles over the past two years and he looks to be a great all around athlete--a star football player in high school as well as in basketball in California. He must be tough and he is a pure shooter, which is something we can always use because we get so many open shots. He will have a year of hard practices before he ever reaches the court for a game so he should be good and ready by the 10th game or so of the following year. It does seem like all the players who have to sit out come into the early games with some rust. Let's hope all of his playing time as a frosh will make him game ready. Go Bills

This is the best analysis I have seen on this entire subject. Big men take longer to develop than guards. Good guards are essential to compete at a high level in the modern college game. If you can get bigs who are like Anthony Davis that is great but the Bills are not likely to ever attract those "bright lights" type of one and done big men. But Rob Loe has excellent potential and he has improved greatly and gotten stronger since he arrived. He will be even better next year and he is still only a junior so he has two years to become a super developed big man. Dwayne is absolutely fantastic for his size and he is as smart a rebounder as we have ever had in terms of getting to the ball out of his area and contesting with bigger players. Cody played much better this year, particularly on defense. Cory was much better against Michigan State and as a senior I think he will give us at least 10 productive minutes a game. Then you have two sophs who are getting better. Manning is a true big man with real size and an aggressive attitude, only exceeded by Grandy in terms of toughness. I suspect Manning will play more this year but no one should give up on Grandy. With all of these players coming back and only two are seniors I can ask those of you who are just negative to be negative to point out a deeper and higher quality group of big men that we EVER had coming back for a year. I cannot remember a better and deeper group, and I suspect that eventually our young man from Indianapolis will be a fine 3/4 man before he graduates as well.

Not to be negative, but comparing any group of front court players to past SLU front courts seems like a waste of time. SLU has had some pretty good guards over the years but has generally been lacking bigs. It's not being negative to question how we are going to score and defend the post. Personally, I think we'll be fine. Not great, but good enough considering how good our guard play will be. I think we'll get more from CR and JM than people expect

On the defensive side, they have all proven they can defend the interior quite well. On the offensive side, Majerus's system is designed for big men who can shoot the ball. Just because this group doesn't consist of back-to-the-basket post players doesn't mean they aren't effective big men. These guys are probably better front court fits for Majerus's system than the high-flying, muscular beasts everyone keeps fantasizing about.

Don't get me wrong ---- I have no intention of being a downer here. I agree that our "bigs" are not typical interior bigs, I agree we have the most depth and talent ever, I agree RL is/has developed well from year 1 to 2, I agree DE does very well for his size on the interior, I agree that in a sustainable system freshmen have to be super to see the floor and RM is growing them on the bench at his pace, all the stuff this thread has covered.

Count me in the group however that wants to see what develops with CR, JM and GG before I am willing to accepting 10 minutes of good play per game from any one of them, let alone two or three. I can't help but think back to the first Xavier game this year -- our outside play in the first half lit it up and opened the middle for Conk to operate and seal the win down the stretch of the second half. We will still be an exterior, jump-shooting team in my opinion. But right now, if we are cold or experience an off-night, we do not have an identified threat to even pose a problem in the middle, let alone finish as Conk did that night. That's what I anxiously look forward to seeing come October and November.

If CR, JM and GG do not deliver against the dregs of the schedule that usually make up the OOC part of our season, then we might be in for a long run during the conference season when everyone knows what everyone else is doing or trying to do. To me, finding that particular puzzle piece will be our one, major key this coming fall.

On the defensive side, they have all proven they can defend the interior quite well. On the offensive side, Majerus's system is designed for big men who can shoot the ball. Just because this group doesn't consist of back-to-the-basket post players doesn't mean they aren't effective big men. These guys are probably better front court fits for Majerus's system than the high-flying, muscular beasts everyone keeps fantasizing about.

I believe in Majerus, I have been a very strong supporter all along (no more smart ass remarks to me from the Majerus haters lately, by the way). I agree with most of what you say, BUT the difference maker last year was Conklin, a legit back to the basket post-up down low threat, our go-to guy in crunch time who also opened it up for our shooters.

We need someone to do that in 2012-2013.

Do you disagree?

I believe in Majerus, I have been a very strong supporter all along (no more smart ass remarks to me from the Majerus haters lately, by the way). I agree with most of what you say, BUT the difference maker last year was Conklin, a legit back to the basket post-up down low threat, our go-to guy in crunch time who also opened it up for our shooters.

We need someone to do that in 2012-2013.

Do you disagree?

I don't, but don't you think RM knows this also and will work with who ever on the team to fill this roll?

If he didn't think he all ready had that person he would be bringing in some one to fill the roll.

In RM I trust. :D

The more I read about McBroom, the more I like it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5194440

http://www.cmuchippewas.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10500&ATCLID=205392810

After seeing how dynamic our team became when we played Mitchell and McCall together, I'm not sure why some people are so hung up about the size of our guards. Given the choice, I would take a quicker guard over a bigger guard any time. More often than not, it was our guards that caused match-up problems, not the other way around. Temple was the only game where I remember the size of our guards being a problem. Part of it was also that Kyle didn't have the athleticism to compete in that match-up. Our little guards did just fine against the BCS teams we played, against Xavier and against Memphis and Michigan State. The fact that we have this collection of quick, skiilled guards is exciting and McBroom figures to be the best shooter of the bunch.

Regarding the hand-wringing about the bigs, I'm confident that RM will play to their strenghths. Our offense is based on spacing the floor, the pick and pop, drive and dish... we will be fine.

#1- Given the choice, I would take a quicker guard over a bigger guard any time.

#2-Regarding the hand-wringing about the bigs, I'm confident that RM will play to their strenghths. Our offense is based on spacing the floor, the pick and pop, drive and dish... we will be fine.

-regarding #1 (i added the #'s), not sure i have ever thought of taking a quick guard versus taking a big guard in such absolute terms, i can see the benefits and detractions on both sides, just curious, why are you leaning the quick way? i am by no means saying you are wrong or i agree or disagree, just an interesting topic to me

#2- i agree, Rick will have something figured out as to how to use the roster in the best ways according to him and the coaches

-not diminishing the role he played or the wonderful season he had and stats don't always tell the tale, but BC's stats in the last 10-15 games were not as gaudy as the stats he put up in the first 15 or so games, now teams may have played BC differently because of what he did in the first 15, but the team had success in the later part of the season (playing better competition?) while BC's stats declined a bit

I don't, but don't you think RM knows this also and will work with who ever on the team to fill this roll?

If he didn't think he all ready had that person he would be bringing in some one to fill the roll.

In RM I trust. :D

Agree, if anyone can do it, it's Majerus. Just hoping that player can do a Roy Hobbs like Conklin did and be as successful.

-WR's advancement from FR to Soph, we had a great post up player. Excellent year 23 wins, get into 3rd rate tourney, shoulda been in NIT.

-Next year we got John Cooked, disaster.

-This year Conklin turns into a 6'6" Moses Malone, great year, NCAA's.

-Who will it be this yr? I say it has to be RL, let the others shoot from the outside.

-regarding #1 (i added the #'s), not sure i have ever thought of taking a quick guard versus taking a big guard in such absolute terms, i can see the benefits and detractions on both sides, just curious, why are you leaning the quick way? i am by no means saying you are wrong or i agree or disagree, just an interesting topic to me

#2- i agree, Rick will have something figured out as to how to use the roster in the best ways according to him and the coaches

-not diminishing the role he played or the wonderful season he had and stats don't always tell the tale, but BC's stats in the last 10-15 games were not as gaudy as the stats he put up in the first 15 or so games, now teams may have played BC differently because of what he did in the first 15, but the team had success in the later part of the season (playing better competition?) while BC's stats declined a bit

Ideally quickness vs. size wouldn't really be an either or, but I figure that if there are players that are both quick and big, plus have skill, we will not get them.. they will likely wind up at a Kentucky or North Carolina type program. So our best bet is to get quick, skilled guards, that may not get interest from BCS programs because they are a bit undersized. Think back to the recruitment of KM and MM. They both seemed to fit that profile. I would say KM has proven that he can do just fine against BCS competition. It was really striking watching KM run circles around Washington's 6-3 guard Abdul Gaddy. We did just fine with KM and MM playing together, so no reason to think that Carter and McBroom can't form another dynamic backcourt of two quick, skilled 6-0 guards. Xavier also did very well with Lyons and Holloway. I will add, that is nice to have a bigger athletic guard like JJ to add to the mix and I have stated previously that I hope there is another bigger 2/3 included in next year's recruiting class.

Agree, if anyone can do it, it's Majerus. Just hoping that player can do a Roy Hobbs like Conklin did and be as successful.

-WR's advancement from FR to Soph, we had a great post up player. Excellent year 23 wins, get into 3rd rate tourney, shoulda been in NIT.

-Next year we got John Cooked, disaster.

-This year Conklin turns into a 6'6" Moses Malone, great year, NCAA's.

-Who will it be this yr? I say it has to be RL, let the others shoot from the outside.

I think we have different recollections on how great WR was as a post-up player. Was he effective inside (on offense and defense)? Yes. Was he a great post-up player? Debatable, but I'd lean towards no.

Why would you take away what RL is best at to cram into a player he is not? I want RL to improve his post offense (I thought he was serviceable with his post-defense, but definitely needs to get more physical), but don't think that needs to be done at the expense of his perimeter game. In addition to improving his 3 point %age, If RL can get 1-2 go-to moves down low (he has shown the baby hook at times) and knock down the 8-12 footer somewhat consistently, then we'll have a heckuva player. RL doesn't necessarily need to turn into Bynum.

I think CR or CE is more likely to be the player that replaces BC's post offense. Both CE and CR sporadically showed some nice post moves last year. I hope CR has a Conklin summer and on the offensive side, works on nothing but shots/moves from 8 feet and closer.