Coaching Staff (Assistants)

I think it is certainly fair to ask the question, but just curious, what is a realistic expectation for a coaching staff in the A-10? Do other programs in the A-10 have much better staffs? We lost Harriman because the Big 10 offered a lot more money. I'm sure Whitesell got a sizable bump to go to St. John's. Moser got a head coaching job. Jensen went to the pros. If you have good assistants at this level, they are going to be in demand. RM certainly raised the quality of our assistants. In the Sodie era we had largely a collection of guys nobody wanted - Grunkermeyer (whoever that is), Thorpe, Beane (still wallowing in mid-major obscurity. The only assistant I can think of who moved up was Jamal Walker and likely the only reason we had him in the first place is because he played here.

Thorpe was a good assistant coach. I would like to see him coach this current group of bigs. That was his specialty, working with bigs.

Beane, on the other hand, not really a good coach.

Grunk is now the associate head coach at Ball State.

I understand what you're saying in that we're not in one of the power conferences and pay accordingly. But the nature of assistant coaching gigs is transient. You want guys who can come in and work hard on the recruiting trail, develop relationships with players, and help develop individual talent. Platt and Cheaney have no reason to be hungry, to outwork anyone. We've got some young guys and I hear good things about Bronson and know Danny Brown is a solid, hardworking guy. But as a whole I think it's fair to expect more out of this staff.

2016 is a make-or-break recruiting year.

I like Harriman and follow his son's issues on line. But his current Down Under Recruit, Sophomore Tai Webster, is averaging 4.0 ppg, 1.1 apg, in 18.5 minutes per game for a sub 500 team. I'm not seeing Tai as being the savior for the Huskers. We have a bunch of Tai's on our team already.

I understand Coach Harriman's reasons for leaving and i don't blame him. But boy how much hay could he have made down under now that 2 of the last 4 Aussie NBL MVPs are former Billikens.