Coaching Staff (Assistants)

What's the feeling on here regarding the assistant coaches? Not just whether they should be back or not, but just in general.

Regarding keeping the staff together though: Assistant coaches are constantly moving in college basketball anyway, but I have a hard time seeing us bring back the entire staff after this season. Just feel like the assistants deserve some credit/blame as well.

I know many believe that Calbert "Phil Jackson" Cheaney is the future head coach and that he also can land any recruit that he wants, but I just don't know about him. We missed out on almost all our top targets this year and Cheaney is easily the least engaged of the 3 assistants during games. Still he could be really good. I wish he could have head coaching experience before we anoint him as the successor though.

Tanner Bronson seems to be the X's and O's guy of the staff. Crews talks about how he draws up all our end of game plays and has for the last couple years. If so then yikes. But he's a Majerus and Bo Ryan guy. I think he has the brightest future as a coach, but not as a player developer.

Platt engages with the players throughout the game more than anyone. Most guys at least act like they're listening to him. He seems to be the defense coach. He's the most experienced assistant but he's a Crews guy so who knows what to think.

I have no idea what Cheaney has done to make people think he's the head coach waiting in the wings. As assistants go, he's pretty inexperienced. I like having him on the staff, but I think your read on him is accurate. People here got way too excited about the name; the kids he's recruiting were 5+ years from being born when CC was the National Player of the Year.

I don't have much to say about the others. It's hard to think much of this staff right now.

Chris Harriman was a big loss to the program. SLU played really, really well when he stepped in for Majerus. Solid recruiter. Young, hungry, great guy.

What's the feeling on here regarding the assistant coaches? Not just whether they should be back or not, but just in general.

Regarding keeping the staff together though: Assistant coaches are constantly moving in college basketball anyway, but I have a hard time seeing us bring back the entire staff after this season. Just feel like the assistants deserve some credit/blame as well.

I know many believe that Calbert "Phil Jackson" Cheaney is the future head coach and that he also can land any recruit that he wants, but I just don't know about him. We missed out on almost all our top targets this year and Cheaney is easily the least engaged of the 3 assistants during games. Still he could be really good. I wish he could have head coaching experience before we anoint him as the successor though.

Tanner Bronson seems to be the X's and O's guy of the staff. Crews talks about how he draws up all our end of game plays and has for the last couple years. If so then yikes. But he's a Majerus and Bo Ryan guy. I think he has the brightest future as a coach, but not as a player developer.

Platt engages with the players throughout the game more than anyone. Most guys at least act like they're listening to him. He seems to be the defense coach. He's the most experienced assistant but he's a Crews guy so who knows what to think.

Who else should we get rid of/do you speculate will leave? Managers? Ticket office workers?

Harriman got us the down under lads -- Salescich, Ellis and Loe. Then Biondi announced no more recruiting trips down under and Harriman was off to Nebraksa which then landed four-star recruit Tai Webster from New Zeakland right after "Hari" came on board in Lincoln. Hmmmm.

Harriman got us the down under lads -- Salescich, Ellis and Loe. Then Biondi announced no more recruiting trips down under and Harriman was off to Nebraksa which then landed four-star recruit Tai Webster from New Zeakland right after "Hari" came on board in Lincoln. Hmmmm.

-are you sure on that sequence of events?

I like Harriman and follow his son's issues on line. But his current Down Under Recruit, Sophomore Tai Webster, is averaging 4.0 ppg, 1.1 apg, in 18.5 minutes per game for a sub 500 team. I'm not seeing Tai as being the savior for the Huskers. We have a bunch of Tai's on our team already.

I like Harriman and follow his son's issues on line. But his current Down Under Recruit, Sophomore Tai Webster, is averaging 4.0 ppg, 1.1 apg, in 18.5 minutes per game for a sub 500 team. I'm not seeing Tai as being the savior for the Huskers. We have a bunch of Tai's on our team already.

If you follow NE basketball so much, you'd know this team is underachieving in a really tough conference. There is stuff going on within the team that is killing them. The team is not even allowed in the team facilities for now.

I don't honestly think our assistants bring very much talent to the table in terms of game planning, offensive/defensive system implementation, and player development. Look at it this way, if you had to promote one of our assistants to be HC, would any of them even be capable of ever getting us back to the tourney? I would say no.

Bronson hasn't really proven that he can even work up an inbounds play (if he is indeed our X's and O's guy), Cheaney never had any actual coaching experience before coming here, and Platt used to coach Bradley.....

I don't honestly think our assistants bring very much talent to the table in terms of game planning, offensive/defensive system implementation, and player development. Look at it this way, if you had to promote one of our assistants to be HC, would any of them even be capable of ever getting us back to the tourney? I would say no.

Bronson hasn't really proven that he can even work up an inbounds play (if he is indeed our X's and O's guy), Cheaney never had any actual coaching experience before coming here, and Platt used to coach Bradley.....

Please take this for what it is worth, but I have some credible insider sources telling me some huge information on the state of the program. While I am just a MBM, these guys are big donors and insiders. Word is that the Billiken has one and half feet out the door. This would mean we may have no mascot going forward. We have been in contact with the Red Dragon to see if she would come out of retirement.

Jim Platt only has HC experience at Arkansas-Little Rock and Charleston Southern. His all-time record is 111-148. He'd be a step down from Crews in terms of name, experience, or 'excitement' factor. Basically we'd be going from cold meatloaf to salisbury steak.

I'm guessing the reason Cheaney has such a coaching reputation on this board is that the rest of the staff is so unexciting.

Jim Platt only has HC experience at Arkansas-Little Rock and Charleston Southern. His all-time record is 111-148. He'd be a step down from Crews in terms of name, experience, or 'excitement' factor. Basically we'd be going from cold meatloaf to salisbury steak.

I'm guessing the reason Cheaney has such a coaching reputation on this board is that the rest of the staff is so unexciting.

My wife worries about Platt having a heart attack yelling from the bench.

Please take this for what it is worth, but I have some credible insider sources telling me some huge information on the state of the program. While I am just a MBM, these guys are big donors and insiders. Word is that the Billiken has one and half feet out the door. This would mean we may have no mascot going forward. We have been in contact with the Red Dragon to see if she would come out of retirement.

There goes the whole deal. Without Billy, we're just another ho hum mid major. But I don't blame him. He's all about luck, and he's having a lousy year in that regard.

Uh oh...I think the Gelfling is available, though

The Saint Louis University Gelflings

gelfling-342139.jpg

I think it is certainly fair to ask the question, but just curious, what is a realistic expectation for a coaching staff in the A-10? Do other programs in the A-10 have much better staffs? We lost Harriman because the Big 10 offered a lot more money. I'm sure Whitesell got a sizable bump to go to St. John's. Moser got a head coaching job. Jensen went to the pros. If you have good assistants at this level, they are going to be in demand. RM certainly raised the quality of our assistants. In the Sodie era we had largely a collection of guys nobody wanted - Grunkermeyer (whoever that is), Thorpe, Beane (still wallowing in mid-major obscurity. The only assistant I can think of who moved up was Jamal Walker and likely the only reason we had him in the first place is because he played here.