early saturday rambling roy in all lower case, no initials, who couldn’t care less about spelling and grammar errors right before george mason

billiken_roy

I'm sure this has been talked about way too much hear @ BMB but this 1 2 3 4 5 stuff seems like so much hot air. there are 5 people on the court thus 1 2 3 4 5. the 5 is the guy in the middle under basket. makes sense in this sport to have Wilt under basket rather than M Bogues as the taller guy is closer to the height of the basket. if Donnie Dobbs is the tallest guy you may be best served to have him in the 5. If JM BJ TL AM all pull up lame @ gametime we put in our next tallest guy RA. I'm good with declaring the 4 guys lame till here on out and use our 5th tallest (i think) guy in the 5.

Jimmy Irving, my favorite Billiken of all time. I'm partial because he was in my class of 1971. Jimmy the Jet. Was a thrill to meet and talk with him a bit last year.

I'll second that. Can't believe he and Harry Rogers were not named all conf. They led us to a tie in the MVC and almost to the NCAA, which I believe was the year Memphis State won in those playoffs and then went to the NCAA finals. Jimmy Irving was a real treat to watch he was fast, quick, and had a very good mid range jump shot. He also was a pretty good assist man as I recall. Wished we had someone like him today. For comparison sake I'd say look at Kwamain. You agree, WP Jim?

I'll second that. Can't believe he and Harry Rogers were not named all conf. They led us to a tie in the MVC and almost to the NCAA, which I believe was the year Memphis State won in those playoffs and then went to the NCAA finals. Jimmy Irving was a real treat to watch he was fast, quick, and had a very good mid range jump shot. He also was a pretty good assist man as I recall. Wished we had someone like him today. For comparison sake I'd say look at Kwamain. You agree, WP Jim?

I agree with all of this and will add 1 more. David Burns. Those 3 should be top 10 all time.

Crews wasn't brought here for the offense. He never coached the 4 out before and he wasnt a fan of on ball screening at his other stops.

Also, we are back to playing at almost the same slow tempo as we did under Majerus this season. We haven't been taking quicker shots or playing at a faster pace this season. The numbers show that.

Crews wasn't brought here for the offense. He never coached the 4 out before and he wasnt a fan of on ball screening at his other stops.

Also, we are back to playing at almost the same slow tempo as we did under Majerus this season. We haven't been taking quicker shots or playing at a faster pace this season. The numbers show that.

Also, our offense has gotten progressively worse under Crews. Hard to trust in a system that didn't even work real well with 5 seniors.

More or less the same 4 out 1 in motion offense that RM ran. 4 guys on the perimeter, 1 guy in the paint, a lot of screening and cutting. This is why Majerus brought Crews here in the first place. A good stretch 4 would be very useful, as he would draw a big out of the paint and open up cutting and passing lanes for easy layups. Gillmann or Welmer could be this guy in the future. We've been taking quicker shots and playing at a faster pace under Crews than we did under RM too. Granted the players aren't executing very well this year, and it often looks like they're just passing the ball around with no purpose.

Milik grabbing a rebound and sprinting down the court by himself, or catching the ball in the paint, getting doubled, attacking anyway, then getting swatted, or chucking up a contested jumper from wherever he wants is not trusting the offense.

not disagreeing in general but kind of weird we are playing faster yet having more shot clock violations then I can ever remember.

Two different types of games. Irving was quicker, taller, and better imo. I watched him play high school ball and at SLU. Perry may be a better comparison. Maybe.

Good explanation on the offense. They just aren't running it real well right now because of lack of experience . As they get stronger and play with each other more the offense will get better. Also Milik is a three playing a four. At times he is being guarded by 6'10"-6'11" guys.

I seem to recall Milik saying in an interview at the beginning of the season that he wanted to play more of a 2/3 type of position but that personnel issues required him to play the 4. I wonder if the staff will put him at the 3 if we bring in someone immediately capable of handling the 4 (Neufeld...or even an improved Agbeko) and Gillmann or Jolly gain the strength to be serviceable at the 5.

Players playing out of position is part of the game. SLU isn't going to always have the perfect personnel. It's on the coaches and the player to find a way to make it work

What I was implying is that if Milik isn't playing a position that he thinks is best and feels he is being misused he may go elsewhere in order to satisfy his desire to play the 'correct position'. That would suck, but oh well. If he came in thinking he would play the 3 this has sure been a rude awakening. Before the season started I certainly thought we were going to have the option of playing Milik at the 3 given Manning, Glaze, Agbeko, Lancona, Jolly, and Gillmann at our disposal at the 4 and 5. Boy was I wrong.

What I was implying is that if Milik isn't playing a position that he thinks is best and feels he is being misused he may go elsewhere in order to satisfy his desire to play the 'correct position'. That would suck, but oh well. Before the season started I certainly thought we were going to have the option of playing Milik at the 3 given Manning, Glaze, Agbeko, Lancona, Jolly, and Gillmann at our disposal at the 4 and 5. Boy was I wrong.

Misunderstanding on my part. Although if Milik transfers because he doesn't get to play the position he wants, then I'm not sure we want him here. Everyone should want to play the position that gives us the best chance to win with the personnel we have.

Misunderstanding on my part. Although if Milik transfers because he doesn't get to play the position he wants, then I'm not sure we want him here. Everyone should want to play the position that gives us the best chance to win with the personnel we have.

yes, but i wouldn't stick around playing out of position on a team getting DOMINATED at home by GM. need to see results and fast.

RM had the same situation with Marcus Relphorde. He turned out to be a very good player for Colorado but its whats best for the team.

I seem to recall Milik saying in an interview at the beginning of the season that he wanted to play more of a 2/3 type of position but that personnel issues required him to play the 4. I wonder if the staff will put him at the 3 if we bring in someone immediately capable of handling the 4 (Neufeld...or even an improved Agbeko) and Gillmann or Jolly gain the strength to be serviceable at the 5.

I mentioned to him at the open gym that I saw his dad play many times in college. He said that he did not play like his dad. His dad was a power forward. He thinks of himself as a guard. They opened up the second half with him at the 3 last night. It would be nice to play him like Evans did when we had Ellis at the 4 but you have to do whats best for the team.