the "statue" -- and the disinformation surrounding it . . . .

DoctorB

Well, the potboiler stuff on the other thread is so out of control, and ruled by emotion and vitriol, that i thought I should make an attempt, at least, at saying something useful--here in this new thread. But it was hard to know how, or what, to say. The sheer anger in some of the responses is simply amazing to me.

Lo and behold, the President just today put out a letter addressing the same anger. I am appending that letter to assuage the tempers of those who have bad attitudes about what has happened, and will happen, here on campus with regard to recent protests. I sincerely hope this helps explain some things, and why there has been so much support on campus for the settlement of the issues....

Dear Faculty, Staff and Students,

I write today to address concerns regarding the proposed artwork that was one of the 13 Clock Tower Accords.

Let me start by saying that there has been considerable misinformation and confusion regarding this artwork, and I have heard from many of our friends of the University who have expressed their strong opinions regarding reports from various media sources and blogs.

So, I want to clarify the record: Contrary to some reports, it was never our intention to — nor will we — commission artwork that would be anti-police or would honor the Ferguson protesters. Those reports are just wrong.

What we envisioned with the artwork was a way to honor our shared Jesuit values that promote inclusion rather than division. Our commitment to open dialogue and discussion of difficult issues has not wavered. As we engage in dialogue, let us focus on what unites us rather than what divides us. One common thread running through all of the communications I have received is a commitment to SLU’s mission. If we can unite around that, we will find common ground on how to recognize the dedication of a great University to diversity and inclusion.

At Saint Louis University, we are proud to be the first historically white institution of higher education in a former slave state to formally admit African American students. There have been many significant people and events that have impacted inclusion on our campus in the 71 years since Father Claude Heithaus’ courageous homily laid the groundwork for the integration of SLU.

Some community members who have contacted me have suggested that the artwork depict a timeline of key milestones in the University’s civil rights history. I welcome your thoughts about such a timeline or other ways to commemorate SLU’s history of inclusion.

It is important to note that we are not alone in promoting dialogue and inclusion in the St. Louis region. A myriad of companies, foundations, universities and non-profits have stepped forward to address the issues our region faces. SLU has formed many new partnerships because of the work they have begun.

While the issue of the artwork has generated a lot of discussion, there is so much more taking place on our campus. Groups of administrators, faculty, staff and students are actively working to develop our strategic plan to guide SLU’s future. A separate committee is reviewing our operations to find ways we can be more effective and efficient. A new residence hall will soon rise out of the ground along Laclede Avenue. We have been interviewing four strong candidates to be our next provost. And last weekend, we welcomed 600 visitors from across the country — prospective students and their families — for the first of two Presidential Scholar events. There are many other major initiatives underway across the University that will move SLU forward in the months and years ahead.

In the coming days and weeks, I hope to talk with as many of you as possible about all that is going on at SLU. I promise to listen and to share my thoughts with you.

I thank you for your passion and your devotion to Saint Louis University.

Sincerely,

Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D.

cleardot.gif

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice letter. The whole kerfuffle is the perfect illustration of how silly the "political correctness" whine is. The same people who whine and moan about other people being too easily offended cry and moan and boycott when they're offended by a sculpture that hasn't even been designed yet. I don't think the blatant hypocrisy even occurs to most of them. "Thin-skinned" is something the other side is; when it's their side being overly sensitive, it's righteous indignation.

the letter was well written, what did you expect?

he carefully finessed through the dilemma, addressed the large number of reasonable intelligent graduates who are opposed to the 13 concessions given to the intimidating campus intruders. but just one of the 13 was discussed.

i'll bet the anti-police whatever they are will interrupt and protest and cause ugly trouble at mcculloch's slu speech... and here we have an appropriate use of the word "hypocrites".

That was a complete waste of a letter except for the people who actually thought SLU was going to put up a literal statue of the protesters. All I can say is that I can't wait until this is done either way. I don't like the idea of it but eventually it'll be like every other statue on campus. Either ignored or treated as a joke.

I don't know what the offended people staging the boycott over the yet-to-be-designed sculpture are thinking, exactly. Either they thought it really would be a statue of the black guy rapping sexually in front of their granddaughters, or they are dead set against any acknowledgement in any form that any of the protesters had legitimate reasons to be protesting. Take your pick; it's a really silly boycott, and I think this letter addressed it about as well as it could have been. I'm not sure how Biondi would've handled a boycott over one of his topless beefcake statues, but I continue to be impressed by Pestello.

To me the design of the statue is immaterial. It represents a capitulation to tactics that should not be validated. So I'm still not happy.

I will say that Dr. Pestello and the other university representatives are pretty good with the spin. Much improved from pervious administrations.

By "tactics," I assume you mean a sit-in by non-students invited on campus by a student. Another thing that amazes me is what a horrible sin "trespassing" on campus by "outside agitators" has become in the imaginations of some. The choice of words used by the boycotters really does harken back to the people outraged over the civil rights protests of the 1960s.

SLU's an urban school. It's not a gated ivory tower campus that walls itself off from the city it's in the middle of, like Wash U, and it never has been. Outsiders are on the campus every day. The hand-wringing over the trespassing is once again premised on the idea that the SLU occupiers should pay for the actions of other protesters in other parts of town. No windows were broken, no fires were set, and no Doritos or Air Jordans were harmed at SLU.

I think this discussion has been pretty well handled in the other thread.

I don't think anyone has any problem with individuals protesting what they believe to be unjust (whether they agree or disagree) and the University encouraging difficult discussion/debate. However, should SLU be the location of such protests from those who are not members of the SLU community and should SLU have "negotiated" with the protesters?

I can see it both ways, but have come around to being fine with the statue as the University did do a good job of handling an explosive situation and the message is a message that could have been the theme (not sure if that is the right word) of a statue regardless.

I do find is amusing when people who give any kind of money to the University (any school or cause for that matter) start puffing their chest and threatening to stop giving when they aren't happy. If you are that upset by something, just stop giving money, don't make some huge ordeal about it. It would seem odd to me that this would be something that would lead you to stop donating, but that is not for me to judge. I guess people like to feel important (I am assuming most people who do this are not the type of significant donors who would really hurt the University if they stop giving).

Yes I'm harkening back to those days of George Wallace though that occurred before I was born.

Nah, I just don't like rewarding this behavior. It's bad precedent for the school.

When someone uses terms like "outside agitators" and "trespassing" to describe sit-in protests, then yes, they are harkening back to the rhetoric of people angered by the civil rights sit-ins of the 1960s. You didn't use those terms (instead, you said you were angered by some kind of unspecified "tactics" and "behavior"). But others have. I don't think when they were born is very material, but it does tend to be older white men I've heard those lines from. Go figure.

I'm still curious what tactics and behavior angered you, but all the boycotters tend to be very vague beyond their angst over the black rapping dude. I think listening to people in the community (particularly young people) and finding common ground with them when possible is the perfect precedent for any university (particularly one with an urban campus) to set.

I think this discussion has been pretty well handled in the other thread.

I don't think anyone has any problem with individuals protesting what they believe to be unjust (whether they agree or disagree) and the University encouraging difficult discussion/debate. However, should SLU be the location of such protests from those who are not members of the SLU community and should SLU have "negotiated" with the protesters?

I can see it both ways, but have come around to being fine with the statue as the University did do a good job of handling an explosive situation and the message is a message that could have been the theme (not sure if that is the right word) of a statue regardless.

I do find is amusing when people who give any kind of money to the University (any school or cause for that matter) start puffing their chest and threatening to stop giving when they aren't happy. If you are that upset by something, just stop giving money, don't make some huge ordeal about it. It would seem odd to me that this would be something that would lead you to stop donating, but that is not for me to judge. I guess people like to feel important (I am assuming most people who do this are not the type of significant donors who would really hurt the University if they stop giving).

I am a student caller for donations and one lady said she will never give to SLU again because of this. Her last gift was a grand $25 in 1997

Please, you're really digging to try and paint anyone against this as racist. Those terms are words that accurately describe the situation and are not uniquely related to the opposition to the civil rights movement.

The tactic I'm referring to is squatting on campus refusing to leave until your demands are met. Giving in to that sets a bad precedent for SLU.

Funny, you are the only one who said anything about anyone being racist, and I already said I was talking about others' terminology, not yours. You really are digging deep to feel victimized here. Also funny that you brought up George Wallace, since he actually was the one who popularized the phrase "outside agitators" in the first place.

The tactic you're referring to is a sit-in protest. So I'm not sure why you feel it's unfair to compare people who oppose that tactic now with the people who opposed the very same tactic in decades prior.

Nothing coy about it. I don't use vague terms like "these tactics" and "this behavior" when I claim to be bothered by something. It speaks volumes to me that the people offended by Pestello's conduct here keep moving the goalposts.

"There shouldn't be a statue honoring the protesters."

(The sculpture isn't going to be a statue of the protesters)

"Well, these people shouldn't be rewarded."

(Why not?)

"Well, it's okay for them to speak their minds, but their tactics were wrong."

(But these protesters didn't break windows or burn down buildings.)

"Well, they didn't just express their opinion; they actually wanted people to listen to it."

(Okay, then. Glad we settled that.)

They had me till the hashtag. Below is a resolution being debated tomorrow at the student gov meeting:

Associated Students of Saint Louis University

Student Government Association
Senate Resolution (SR) – 006-15
February 25th, 2015
Intent and Purpose: To express the opinion of the student body, as represented by their elected officials, that the students support
Dr. Fred P. Pestello and his efforts to further the mission of Saint Louis University.
Whereas, Dr. Pestello has made an effort to revitalize our core values as a Jesuit University by embracing our Jesuit Mission,
Whereas, Dr. Pestello consistently challenges the student body to develop as leaders, serve our community, and advocate for
Whereas, Dr. Pestello has a distinct presence on campus by making himself available for criticism, suggestions, questions, and
discussion, in an effort to increase the transparency of the University,
Whereas, Dr. Pestello encourages students, faculty, and staff to engage in dialogue and use collaboration as a tool to promote
inclusion and acceptance in the Saint Louis community,
Whereas, Dr. Pestello has responded to crisis by choosing the conversation of compassion, respect, and dignity over the conversation of fear, power, and threats
Therefore, let it be resolved that the Associated Students of Saint Louis University Student Government Association support and
honor the leadership and contributions our President, Dr. Fred P. Pestello, has made in furthering the Jesuit Mission of Saint
Louis University. We #StandWithPestello.
Timothy Pazderka, College for Public Health & Social Justice Senator
Renee Richter, Diversity Leadership Cabinet Senator for Socioeconomic Affairs
Landon Brownfield, Diversity Leadership Cabinet Senator for Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity Affairs
Ellie Cash, College of Education & Public Service Senator
Kala Chinnaswamy, Diversity Leadership Cabinet Senator for Interfaith Affairs
Mike Degnan, College for Public Health & Social Justice Senator
Debra Haywood, School for Professional Studies Senator
Dan Kennedy, College of Philosophy & Letters Senator
Kyle Lincoln, Graduate Student Association Senator
Eddie Niboh, Black Student Alliance Senator
Edwin Oluoch, Diversity Leadership Cabinet Senator for Multicultural Affairs
Liz Stark, College of Arts & Sciences Senator
Lizzie Corcoran, Student in the College for Public Health & Social Justice
Adam Dirnberger, Student in the College of Arts & Sciences
Merette Khalil, Student in the College for Public Health & Social Justice
*See Attached Document for Additional Signatures

They had me till the hashtag. Below is a resolution being debated tomorrow at the student gov meeting:

All I can think is who's hotter? Liz Stark or Liz Corcoran? I'm betting Liz Stark is a blonde and Liz Corcoran is a brunette. The only way to know is if they Liz out on each other in a public forum.

I do think our president handled the situation this summer correctly - confrontations never produce win win situations and he did the right thing by letting it burn itself out and keeping an atmosphere that allowed the protesters to not find a reason to do escalate things. The statue thing is a red herring - those who are upset with it are the same ones who wanted to use force to remove the people - same old approach, see everything as a nail because you like to use a hammer. My brother is in his early 80s so this summer he was going on and on about the protesters and about how they should not be on "our" property. When I pointed out to him that he never went to SLU and that the people of StL do not own the SLU as they might think they do a public university he still did not get it - he was just angry over the protesters in general and could not think of anything other than to strike out at them. I can assure you that I will not discuss the statue with him because I know he will be just as angry about that.

From the P-D...

Pestello explained that during his negotiations with Occupy SLU protesters, one point that came up was the lack of African-Americans depicted in the more than 60 outdoor sculptures dotting the campus.

The university’s lone sculpture depicting an African-American — a shackled slave woman with whip marks on her back — is kept in a space used only occasionally for private events.

That fact seemed out of line with the university’s track record of racial inclusion, he said, considering SLU was the first historically white institution in a former slave state to formally admit black students, Pestello said.

“The idea is to do something that will capture the spirit of inclusivity and diversity,” he said.

From the P-D...

Pestello explained that during his negotiations with Occupy SLU protesters, one point that came up was the lack of African-Americans depicted in the more than 60 outdoor sculptures dotting the campus.

The university’s lone sculpture depicting an African-American — a shackled slave woman with whip marks on her back — is kept in a space used only occasionally for private events.

That fact seemed out of line with the university’s track record of racial inclusion, he said, considering SLU was the first historically white institution in a former slave state to formally admit black students, Pestello said.

“The idea is to do something that will capture the spirit of inclusivity and diversity,” he said.

I wonder what type of events call for bringing out the shackled slave woman sculpture.