OT: Slaten out at KFNS per insidestl.com

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That another journalist has spoken pejoratively about him speaks to Slaten's sense of ethics as a journalist.

We aren't all SLU grads here thicks, please dumb it down for the car dealers. I'm sure the mortgage guys need help also, even thhough they are SLU grads. :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

H

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

A

H

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

A

H

A

H

A

H

A

H

A

H

A

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

CARPE DIEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is A full grown child and I can't believe this didn't happen years ago. I am a very happy person today. F Kevin Slaten.

Slaten. A fine graduate of the "prestigious" U of Missori Law School, still doesn't understand that the First Amendment. In the article he states

"This is a First Amendment under-attach situation... In other words, if you say what the Cardinals don't like, this is what's going to happen to you."

The First Amendment prohibits the gov't, not a private radio station, from censoring free speach.

Kevin always had some good points and comments (valid criticisms of LaRussa, his being named in the Mitchell report...) but then he took them way out of proportion and became a first class idiot. Some guys deserve to be get fired and he's one of them. Goodbye and will not miss you.

Kevin , the objective sports fans will miss you. Who else in this town has the guts to ask the tough questions. No one. You people need to get real every thing is not always rainbows and butter cups. Dave Duncan is the one who needs to grow up you are in the public eye, if you don't like it find a new line of business. After the interview he probably went whining to the media relations dept. saying mom he picked on me. Grow up,if he was on the east coast they would have rode him out on a rail. That is a big problem in this town. Here is hoping Slaten goes after 590, Dave Duncan, and the MIGHTY Cardinals. LOL.

Kevin , the objective sports fans will miss you. Who else in this town has the guts to ask the tough questions. No one. You people need to get real every thing is not always rainbows and butter cups. Dave Duncan is the one who needs to grow up you are in the public eye, if you don't like it find a new line of business. After the interview he probably went whining to the media relations dept. saying mom he picked on me. Grow up,if he was on the east coast they would have rode him out on a rail. That is a big problem in this town. Here is hoping Slaten goes after 590, Dave Duncan, and the MIGHTY Cardinals. LOL.

I am sorry, I think I missed it. What did he say about Dave Duncan?

I am sorry, I think I missed it. What did he say about Dave Duncan?

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/co...F6?OpenDocument

Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan is angry at KFNS radio, saying he was put on the air without his consent by afternoon drive-time host Kevin Slaten and is contemplating legal recourse.

The incident happened Thursday, when they had a contentious conversation that Duncan said he thought was private, but was being broadcast. In it, he called Slaten a "nasty man'' and Slaten accused Duncan of slander.

"It certainly was unethical what he did, and probably unlawful,'' Duncan said Friday via phone. "But that's the way Kevin Slaten is, and that's why I wasn't interested in going on his show. Kevin Slaten over the years has said a lot of things that have made me angry, and this is just typical of how he operates.''

Duncan said he was contacted first by a producer and declined to go on the air, but that Slaten called anyway. In an unconventional move, listeners heard the call being placed and Duncan answering rather than the normal procedure of the person being interviewed already being on the line when the host begins the conversation.

Duncan said he thought Slaten was calling to clear the air about him declining the request to be on the program, that he did not know the conversation was for public consumption and that he is looking into options available to pursue the matter.

"I'm going to listen to the tape,'' he said. "I'm not sure what I'm going to do.''

KFNS (590 AM, 100.7 FM) refused to provide a tape of the interview, but the Post-Dispatch obtained it via other means. Slaten could not be reached to comment, but on the air insisted that Duncan should have known he was on. The tape seems to show some ambiguity in the matter.

Slaten: "Hi, this is Kevin Slaten at '590 the Fan' in St. Louis. How are you?

Duncan: "I'm fine, thank you.''

Slaten: "Good. Could we grab you for a couple minutes to talk a little bit about the (Anthony) Reyes decision?

MORE CAESAR

E-Mail Dan Caesar

More columns from Dan Caesar

Duncan: "Kevin, I'm not going to go on your show.''

Slaten: "Why not?''

Duncan: "Because you're a nasty man and I don't like you.''

Slaten tells Duncan he appeared on the show a month earlier, then Duncan says he did not realize it was Slaten's program. Slaten then asks why Duncan thinks Slaten is a ''nasty man.''

Duncan: "You say stuff that doesn't need to be said, Kevin.''

Slaten: "Give me an example of that.''

Duncan: "Like the way you treat Tony (La Russa, the Cards' manager) is unfair. You keep bringing up the DWI and that whole affair.''

Slaten says Duncan is misinformed, that he has defended La Russa in the matter and that whoever told Duncan otherwise is lying. Slaten asks Duncan who told him that, and Duncan wouldn't say.

Slaten: "I'm the only guy in this town who has defended Tony La Russa with regard to that situation.''

He asks Duncan if he'll apologize if Slaten proves he has stuck up for La Russa, then says Duncan is slandering him.

Duncan: "I'm not slandering you publicly. If people talked about you publicly, Kevin, the way you talk about people on our ballclub, you wouldn't be a very happy camper. ... I don't listen to your show, I listen to what other people say.''

Slaten then criticizes Duncan for relying on secondhand information to form his opinions about him.

Slaten: "Dave, how about if I lie about you, would that sit right with you?''

Duncan: "Well, I'm sure that you have.''

The discussion grows even more contentious before Duncan hangs up after apparently realizing he is on the air.

Slaten: "What you're doing right now is slandering me based on other people telling you lies.''

Duncan: "I'm not doing it publicly like you do (to) other people.''

Slaten: "You're not? You're on the radio.''

Duncan: "Well, I hope not.''

Slaten: "Well, sure you are. I told you we were on the radio.''

Duncan: "No, you did NOT.''

Slaten: "Of course I did.''

Duncan: "And If I find out we are, you're going to be in big problems with me.''

Slaten asks what Duncan will do.

Duncan: "I'm not going to sit here and banter back and forth with you. You get paid to talk. Whether it's true or whether it's not true, you run your mouth all the time.''

Slaten: "I tell the truth. You're threatening me.''

Duncan: "No you don't tell the truth. You don't do your research, you never come around the ballpark, you never talk to the players, you never talk to anybody down there about what's going on.''

Slaten counters that he has talked to many people, including Duncan when he was on the show a month earlier.

Duncan: "This better not be on the air.''

Slaten: "I told you already that it was.''

Duncan: "You told me two seconds ago it was, you did not tell that when you called me.''

Slaten: "I told you right at the beginning of this conversation, 'Dave, we're on '590 the Fan,' do you want to talk about Anthony Reyes?''

(The start of the conversation on the tape isn't that clear-cut.) Duncan hangs up. Then a clip of Duncan's appearance a few weeks ago is played, and Slaten tees off.

"He's either a liar or he's the dumbest man on the face of the earth,'' Slaten says. "He either lied when he said he didn't come on, or he's so stupid he doesn't know he was on. ... Does this give you an insight what's going on with this organization? Do you need any more?''

LOL. big surprise here.

Guess you had to go to High School in the Metro Catholic Conference to understand the points that Kevin makes.

This is what 590 has become without Slaten.

Morning Dinero and McKenna- Wanna be morning grinders.

10:00-1:00 Ramsey and Cusamano- Your movie, TV, and resturaunt critics

1:00-3:00 Mr. I don't do my show from St.Louis .

Afternoon drive done.

Its shocking to see Roy take an anti-Cardinals management position.

I didn't hear the exchange, but how are some taking Slaten's side here? He started with introducing himself as "Kevin Slaten at 590 the FAN in St. Louis," and later claims to have said "Dave, we're on 590 the FAN." He never said they were on the air. Certainly someone who emphasizes word choice in arguments as much as Slaten does realizes what a significant difference there is between those prepositions. Sounds to me like he purposely withheld the fact they were live to Duncan in order to deceive him. That's about as unprofessional as a journalist could be. Say what you will about Duncan, Cards management, or anyone on that side, but Slaten is clearly in the wrong here.

I hope he never lands another job. Good riddance.

I didn't hear the exchange, but how are some taking Slaten's side here? He started with introducing himself as "Kevin Slaten at 590 the FAN in St. Louis," and later claims to have said "Dave, we're on 590 the FAN." He never said they were on the air. Certainly someone who emphasizes word choice in arguments as much as Slaten does realizes what a significant difference there is between those prepositions. Sounds to me like he purposely withheld the fact they were live to Duncan in order to deceive him. That's about as unprofessional as a journalist could be. Say what you will about Duncan, Cards management, or anyone on that side, but Slaten is clearly in the wrong here.

I hope he never lands another job. Good riddance.

I agree. I heard the exchange. Slaten is good at playing on words. IMHO, he clearly deceived Duncan. It made me feel extremely uncomfortable. So much so that I turned the radio off in disgust.

I agree. I heard the exchange. Slaten is good at playing on words. IMHO, he clearly deceived Duncan. It made me feel extremely uncomfortable. So much so that I turned the radio off in disgust.

i disagree. i felt it was obvious that they were on the air. and even when duncan definitely knew he was on the air he kept speaking like an idiot so how can you have an sympathy for him?

slaten obviously is an act. i am always amazed at those that hate him but always know the details of his exchanges. if you hate him why you listening?

i am always amazed anyone would call in to debate him. you arent going to win. not only is he a supreme debater, he always has the last word and has control over the volume.

i rarely agree with him, but i think his show is fascinating and entertaining. i also think as far as sports media folks, he is the absolute best interviewer. no one asks the tough questions all the time like he does.

it was my understanding that his show had the best ratings of the two sports stations for any show. yet everyone now says they are glad he is gone? that makes no sense.

i disagree. i felt it was obvious that they were on the air. and even when duncan definitely knew he was on the air he kept speaking like an idiot so how can you have an sympathy for him?

slaten obviously is an act. i am always amazed at those that hate him but always know the details of his exchanges. if you hate him why you listening?

i am always amazed anyone would call in to debate him. you arent going to win. not only is he a supreme debater, he always has the last word and has control over the volume.

i rarely agree with him, but i think his show is fascinating and entertaining. i also think as far as sports media folks, he is the absolute best interviewer. no one asks the tough questions all the time like he does.

it was my understanding that his show had the best ratings of the two sports stations for any show. yet everyone now says they are glad he is gone? that makes no sense.

Your appreciation for Slaten surprises me, Roy. I wouldn't have called that one.

I've never personally listened to him for more than a few minutes without switching it off. I also don't live in St. Louis anymore, but tried to avoid him when I was there. I just can't take his abrasive personality and aggressiveness. He's very typical of the "shock jock" radio personality- loud, obnoxious, shameless, aggressive, knee-jerk, and insensitive. I do like that he holds people to their words and really knows how to argue properly. That's about all I'll give him.

Aside from the radio stuff, I lost any shred of respect for Slaten after seeing him at a few of his son Troy's high school basketball games; if I remember right, Troy was a year younger than me, which would be the HS class of 2002. Anyway, Slaten would sit in one of the front rows and spend about 85% of the game actively berating the refs. He wouldn't just yell here and there and he rarely cheered positively for his son or Marquette, it was just constant screaming at the top of his lungs. I imagine it was embarrassing for Troy to see his dad act like an animal at his games. Inevitably, people around him would move away, creating a circle of empty bleacher space around a red-faced, sore-throated Kevin Slaten. Then he'd get on the air and complain about Mizzou and SLU not recruiting his son (a one-dimensional HS player at best). If I remember right he bounced around, from Arkansas State to Buffalo to UMSL- and no one's kicking themselves for not recruiting him.

like i said, i rarely agree with him. but i appreciate the way he drives the fans into an uproar and creates ratings. i appreciate his interviews. the show fascinates me. i will miss it at drive time. however i am sure he wont be gone long. too much success he will pop up somewhere.

He is a smart and clever interviewer. He has good insights. He is willing to talk about situations and take positions that others don't. His major problem is HOW he does things. He is abusive and twists words. Oftentimes, I find myself agreeing with his position but not his tactics. I didn't say I hated him. Please don't put words in my mouth. My car radio is tuned to KFNS when I turn it in. I just happened to turn the radio on when this was taking place.