OT: NIT vs. March Madness

Bills By 40

I'm warning you all: OFF-TOPIC. This will be completely irrelevant because we won't have to deal with the NIT ever again. But, I was recently in an argument and the question was:

Would you rather win the NIT, or be knocked out in the first round of the NCAA tournament as a high seed?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NCAA. For sure.

Not saying I disagree, but does losing the first round of the tournament by 30 really mean as much as proving you're the best team outside of the tournament? I don't think there's much of a difference between a 14-16 seed and any team in the NIT...

There is no comparison and this is from somebody who attended every NIT game in the 88-89 & 89-90 seasons. NIT is never the goal. Making the field of 68 whther you make it to the final four or lose on the first day is the measure of a program. The NIT is a consolation prize.

In the 60's when I was in HS, I attended all the NITS, it was great tourney. I recall a very good Marquette turning down the NCAA for the NIT. That was then, now with 68 invites the NIT is irrelevant. Last final I went to was when the Bills played Michigan State & St John's.

The only value I see for going to NIT or CBI is if you have a young team. This year with a senior dominated team, its NCAA or nothing. If next year plays out the freshmen (the guards and the 2 bigs we recruited) start really coming together in February, the extra couple weeks of basketball against fairly decent competition can be a nice asset going into the next season. I think the CBI five years ago kind of accomplished that for both SLU and VCU.

NCAA for sure!! Money plus prestige and good PR. All but one team loses, so losing is expected, but the good PR of saying we made the Tourney three years in a row cannot be overstated!!

The ultimate goal is to be a PROGRAM that makes the dance every year!!!

I'm warning you all: OFF-TOPIC. This will be completely irrelevant because we won't have to deal with the NIT ever again. But, I was recently in an argument and the question was:

Would you rather win the NIT, or be knocked out in the first round of the NCAA tournament as a high seed?

You trying to cheer up Mizzou fans?

First of all, it's a bad comparison. If you are a potential high-seed for the NCAA tourney, the NIT is not even on your radar.

Now, to answer the question of which is better, a first-round NCAA loss or a five-win NIT run, it depends on what kind of team you have.

if you are a young team that developed well as the season progressed, then a five-win NIT run would really benefit you in the next two years. Didn't the Billikens make the final of the CBI a couple of years ago with a lot of these same players. Now look where they are. I'm sure Crews will remind them of what they went through to win four games in two weeks in that tourney.

If you are a veteran team that has a played well all year with the NCAA on their minds, then of course that is your carrot. Anything less would be demoralizing and there would no way a broken team like that could win 5 post season games in the NIT.

First of all, it's a bad comparison. If you are a potential high-seed for the NCAA tourney, the NIT is not even on your radar.

Now, to answer the question of which is better, a first-round NCAA loss or a five-win NIT run, it depends on what kind of team you have.

if you are a young team that developed well as the season progressed, then a five-win NIT run would really benefit you in the next two years. Didn't the Billikens make the final of the CBI a couple of years ago with a lot of these same players. Now look where they are. I'm sure Crews will remind them of what they went through to win four games in two weeks in that tourney.

If you are a veteran team that has a played well all year with the NCAA on their minds, then of course that is your carrot. Anything less would be demoralizing and there would no way a broken team like that could win 5 post season games in the NIT.

SLU played in the CBI Ellis's and Cory's freshman year. The seniors's freshman season was that of the situation

The experience of playing one game in the NCAA tournament for a young team is far more valuable than playing multiple NIT games.

-I am curious, which side of the argument were you on?

-NCAA for all the reasons others have mentioned

I'd take an NCAA first round loss over a long NIT run every time. No question about it.

That's not to say the NIT has no value. As others have posted, the NIT can be beneficial for a young team that isn't quite good enough to make the NCAAs yet. It gets them more games, more practices, and the chance to play in a tournament format. Still, I'd pick the NCAA early loss every time, and the decision would be easy.

I'm speculating here, but take Robert Morris for example. They made the NIT, likely due to winning their regular season conference title and losing the conference tournament. They hosted Kentucky in the first round of the NIT and beat UK. It was a great moment for them. Still, I would guess that many people affiliated with their program would've traded that for the chance to get their teeth kicked in by a 1 or 2 seed in the NCAAs.

The experience of playing one game in the NCAA tournament for a young team is far more valuable than playing multiple NIT games.

Iowa was the runner-up in 2013. They are having a great season this year. The surprise of the Big 10.

Wichita St. won the NIT in 2011. Final Four in 2013.

Baylor was the runner-up in the NIT in 2009. They made it to the Regional Final of the 2010 NCAA.

West Virginia won in 2007. They went to the Sweet 16 in 2008 after beating Duke in the round of 32.

I could go back further and find of more of these.