2013 NCAA Tournament sites

-while i agree there would be confusion, much more so than uw and wash u since they are 1500 miles apart, could SLU do anything about it?

An aside: I've always wondered if our alma mater would have benefitted in any way from being named after a person (a la Xavier, Creighton, Marquette, etc.) instead of our city.

I'm with you, Box. A lot of outsiders don't realize SLU isn't a public school that just shares a name with the city. The school's emphasis on spelling out 'Saint' has helped a little but most national news sources don't honor that wish.

And yeah, UMSL is going to have issues changing the name if it wants to keep 'St. Louis'. I'm not sure what power SLU has because of other schools with mirror names that have nothing to do with one another, but it will fight UMSL on it and I don't think it will be popular with students, alums, or the general public. They'd probably have to pull a Truman State and name it after a historical figure. I don't think "Mark Twain" has been taken yet.

We could follow Wash U.'s lead and change our name to "Saint Louis University in St. Louis."

This made me laugh.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not official in anyway. The Summit League decided that they would call them Kansas City. Valpo and UMKC were in the same conference, then called the Mid-Con, a few years back. I still follow a lot of what is going on in the Summit League.

The Summit League also said that they would call IPFW=Fort Wayne and Nebraska-Omaha=Omaha. IUPUI will stay the same because there is a University of Indianapolis, a division II school, on the south side of Indy. They normally go by UIndy. I suggested to one of my friends who is an IUPUI prof that they call it IP-Indy.

I see. I didn't think it was official. The name change back to University of Kansas City is being seriously considered, though. I think it'd be a good move. If Mizzou took the "Columbia" out of its name to establish itself as THE University of Missouri, the other schools in the system are smart to forge their own identities- Missouri State, Truman State, et al. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_Missouri

Couple of Things:

Saint Louis was a dude jus' sayin'

Also Party At my House if SLU is in that Region playing at Cowboys Stadium

I live about 30 minutes away and work about .2 mi away (when I'm in the US) so free parking for me

I'm with you, Box. A lot of outsiders don't realize SLU isn't a public school that just shares a name with the city. The school's emphasis on spelling out 'Saint' has helped a little but most national news sources don't honor that wish.

And yeah, UMSL is going to have issues changing the name if it wants to keep 'St. Louis'. I'm not sure what power SLU has because of other schools with mirror names that have nothing to do with one another, but it will fight UMSL on it and I don't think it will be popular with students, alums, or the general public. They'd probably have to pull a Truman State and name it after a historical figure. I don't think "Mark Twain" has been taken yet.

This made me laugh.

Actually pistol, our hometown newspaper doesn't even recognize the preferred spelling. ESPN does, I have noticed. Not sure about other national outlets. It is slightly amusing to me though that ESPN always spells it out and the PD insists on St.. Louis.

I see. I didn't think it was official. The name change back to University of Kansas City is being seriously considered, though. I think it'd be a good move. If Mizzou took the "Columbia" out of its name to establish itself as THE University of Missouri, the other schools in the system are smart to forge their own identities- Missouri State, Truman State, et al. http://en.wikipedia....ies_in_Missouri

I'm not up on a lot of this activity, but my understanding is that the four-campus system of the University of Missouri remains intact and consists of campuses in Columbia, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Rolla. I'm an alumnus of UM-St. Louis. UM-Rolla changed its name to the Missouri University of Science and Technology, or something like that, several years ago. But I don't think they left the University system. I don't think Mizzou seceded from the system just because they (supposedly) stopped going by "University of Missouri-Columbia" a while back. I'll look into it. I think that's just a sports-branding thing. UMKC is the only other Div. I school in this system, and I suspect going by "Kansas City" will just be a sports-branding thing.

There are also Missouri State schools, non-land-grant, if I'm not mistaken, which are not part of the University of Missouri system, and which I think are affiliated among themselves. Southwest Missouri State got "Southwest" dropped from its name several years back to be known as "Missouri State University" — to the chagrin of some UM-Columbia folks who believe they have the right to that designation — but I think they're part of the same system (or loose affiliation) as Central Missouri (State), Southeast Missouri (State) — aka SEMO — Northeast Missouri State, and Truman State (which represents the northwestern part of Missouri and I think used to be called "Northwest Missouri State).

If UMSL — which really officially doesn't like that acronym — wants to re-brand, so not to be the only one of the four schools not to, then it will have to be creative, because "University of St. Louis" will not fly when Saint Louis University has been here so long. Someone mentioned something like "Mark Twain State," but wouldn't that suggest being part of the State-school system, rather than the University of Missouri system? I don't think they'd want that. They should stand pat; be University of Missouri-St. Louis.

I apologize if I'm boring any of you — I'm almost bored myself, as long as I've been writing this, with some distractions in the midst of my composing. Haven't I heard something about SEMO wanting to change its name or brand?

I'm not up on a lot of this activity, but my understanding is that the four-campus system of the University of Missouri remains intact and consists of campuses in Columbia, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Rolla. I'm an alumnus of UM-St. Louis. UM-Rolla changed its name to the Missouri University of Science and Technology, or something like that, several years ago. But I don't think they left the University system. I don't think Mizzou seceded from the system just because they (supposedly) stopped going by "University of Missouri-Columbia" a while back. I'll look into it. I think that's just a sports-branding thing. UMKC is the only other Div. I school in this system, and I suspect going by "Kansas City" will just be a sports-branding thing.

There are also Missouri State schools, non-land-grant, if I'm not mistaken, which are not part of the University of Missouri system, and which I think are affiliated among themselves. Southwest Missouri State got "Southwest" dropped from its name several years back to be known as "Missouri State University" — to the chagrin of some UM-Columbia folks who believe they have the right to that designation — but I think they're part of the same system (or loose affiliation) as Central Missouri (State), Southeast Missouri (State) — aka SEMO — Northeast Missouri State, and Truman State (which represents the northwestern part of Missouri and I think used to be called "Northwest Missouri State).

If UMSL — which really officially doesn't like that acronym — wants to re-brand, so not to be the only one of the four schools not to, then it will have to be creative, because "University of St. Louis" will not fly when Saint Louis University has been here so long. Someone mentioned something like "Mark Twain State," but wouldn't that suggest being part of the State-school system, rather than the University of Missouri system? I don't think they'd want that. They should stand pat; be University of Missouri-St. Louis.

I apologize if I'm boring any of you — I'm almost bored myself, as long as I've been writing this, with some distractions in the midst of my composing. Haven't I heard something about SEMO wanting to change its name or brand?

Truman State is the former Northeast Missouri State located in Kirksville. Northwest Missouri State is in Maryville and still goes by that name. University of Central Missouri used to be known as Central Missouri State University and is in Warrensburg. I actually spent a couple of weeks one summer there in high school when I went to Boys' State (anyone else do this in high school?)

Out of the five 'State' schools, it looks like only Northwest Missouri State and SEMO have yet to go through a name change.

Truman State is the former Northeast Missouri State located in Kirksville. Northwest Missouri State is in Maryville and still goes by that name. University of Central Missouri used to be known as Central Missouri State University and is in Warrensburg. I actually spent a couple of weeks one summer there in high school when I went to Boys' State (anyone else do this in high school?)

Out of the five 'State' schools, it looks like only Northwest Missouri State and SEMO have yet to go through a name change.

Thanks, Bizz. I just completed some research and was coming back to the thread to correct some of the things I'd said. You covered most of them. However, I wanted to note that the official name of Mizzou is still the University of Missouri-Columbia, according to www.umsystem.edu. They go by "MU" and their website URL is www.missouri.edu, but the "Columbia" is still part of the name. Only Rolla actually changed the name of the school.

Also, there are Missouri Western State and Missouri Southern State. Moreover, it doesn't appear that there's any affiliation among the "directional" state universities: The University of Missouri is the only "system."

I prefer Austin as it is the city that has the highest quality of titty bars of the cities listed.

Thanks, Bizz. I just completed some research and was coming back to the thread to correct some of the things I'd said. You covered most of them. However, I wanted to note that the official name of Mizzou is still the University of Missouri-Columbia, according to www.umsystem.edu. They go by "MU" and their website URL is www.missouri.edu, but the "Columbia" is still part of the name. Only Rolla actually changed the name of the school.

Also, there are Missouri Western State and Missouri Southern State. Moreover, it doesn't appear that there's any affiliation among the "directional" state universities: The University of Missouri is the only "system."

I guess UMSL was successful in its resistance to Mizzou dropping the "Columbia". So of the main four listed in the Wiki link, only Rolla has rebranded officially. And then some of the other Missouri public universities (which I incorrectly assumed were just a second tier of a larger "system") have also rebranded. I gotta say, I'm learning a lot in this thread.

EDIT: ######! I wasted my 4000th post discussing the University of Missouri System. Could have done way better.

That's kinda funny. Is a '000th post worth being special without considering all of the preceding posts? They made up for it.

Thanks for the consolation. I'll do better on 5,000. Might have to post 990 times today to make sure I don't forget.

I just noticed this. How come I am the only poster with 0 warning points notation under their name?

What do I need to do to get a warning point?

You can only see it for your own name. I'd also like to get some warning points. What can we exchange them for once we accrue them?

Bizzle, I did Boys State in 1988. Hadn't thought about that in years.

I just noticed this. How come I am the only poster with 0 warning points notation under their name?

It just means you haven't made any grammatical errors or Thicks would have dinged you with Warning Points

Bizzle, I did Boys State in 1988. Hadn't thought about that in years.

I went in 1993. My town was Coontz. Our motto was 'Can't lick a Coontz!' We also came up with a hand signal for our 'cittizens', where one would create a diamond shape with both thumbs and index fingers. I still giggle like a stupid teenager when I think about it.

It sounds like warning points are a good thing... maybe if you get enough of them you can cash them in for travel deals.