Crawford

Fansince59

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My comments are not meant to be a rip on Highmark. He was an excellent player and I would be shocked if Crawford became the player that Highmark was. It is just that Crawford is a better athlete than Highmark was. His height and athleticism won't prevent him from being able to play the 3 at this level. It remains to be seen what kind of basketball player Crawford ends up being.

It is rare in D-1 to have players taller than 6'5 or 6'6 playing small forward position. Some NBA teams have guys playing the 3 that short. Crawford's size fits right in with what we want at the 3 spot. Plus if he doesn't match up well with a taller athletic 3 that is what we have Ash for, he can guard almost any position on the court.

Any comparisons to Highmark though are totally outrageous. Highmark is arguably a top ten all time Billiken. Don't put those types of expectation at Crawford's feet.

It is rare in D-1 to have players taller than 6'5 or 6'6 playing small forward position. Some NBA teams have guys playing the 3 that short. Crawford's size fits right in with what we want at the 3 spot. Plus if he doesn't match up well with a taller athletic 3 that is what we have Ash for, he can guard almost any position on the court.

Any comparisons to Highmark though are totally outrageous. Highmark is arguably a top ten all time Billiken. Don't put those types of expectation at Crawford's feet.

I think the 3 will be one of the most interesting positions on the team. We can use a lot of different looks - Crawford, the sniper, in addition to Ash, I expect Roby to be able to be a guy who can guard athletic 3s and bit a bit of a slasher and then Yarbrough, to give us a bigger 3 - perhaps a bit of a DE element who will be able to do some damage inside against smaller opponents, plus he also has the ability to score from the perimeter.

Agree completely.

Scott Highmark is almost certainly an all time Top 10 Billiken, and, to boot, an example for all who take the court for The Billikens because NO ONE worked harder than Scott Highmark. NO ONE.

And he is a class act post-basketball career.

So for one poster to suggest that he was not athletic (etcetera) is inappropriate to say the least, and comparing Crawford in any way to Scott Highmark at this stage is rash and premature.

We all hope that Crawford performs at a high(mark) level... of course... but the one poster in particular who repeatedly slimed Scott Highmark on this thread to make some kind of "point" should apologize.

Agree completely.

Scott Highmark is almost certainly an all time Top 10 Billiken, and, to boot, an example for all who take the court for The Billikens because NO ONE worked harder than Scott Highmark. NO ONE.

And he is a class act post-basketball career.

So for one poster to suggest that he was not athletic (etcetera) is inappropriate to say the least, and comparing Crawford in any way to Scott Highmark at this stage is rash and premature.

We all hope that Crawford performs at a high(mark) level... of course... but the one poster in particular who repeatedly slimed Scott Highmark on this thread to make some kind of "point" should apologize.

Hey idiot, I never slimed Highmark. I just said Crawford is a better athlete than Highmark. That isn't sliming anyone.

I brought him up because a poster suggested Crawford wasn't tall enough to play the 3. In my opinion Highmark is the second best 3 the Billikens have had in my lifetime behind Roland Gray. I thought it should be pointed out that Crawford is the same height as him. I never compared Highmark and Crawford as basketball players.

Yes, Highmark was an extremely hard worker. He was tough as nails. He was, also, extremely underrated as passer and had really good court vision.

I don't think Highmark is a top 10 all-time Billiken, but he is definitely in the discussion. Lot of good players through the years. McCauley, Bonner, Gray, Ferry, Boushka, Rogers, Mithcell, Jett, Hughes, Waldman, Clagget, Burns, Wiley, Perry.

And for all those who believe DE played the 3 these past few years, I believe he is only 6'4". Jordair Jett sometimes played the 3, was quite effective and is not 6'5". A long list of guys who played the 3 (and were effective at the 3) could be listed but I don't list more names in that my comments could be deemed additional and unfair comparisons!! :lol:

In short, this has become a stupid thread. Crawford is extremely athletic and not too short to play the 3. And aside from those with agendas, the comparisons to Highmark were quite clear, were limited to height and athletic ability, were not made to demean a Billiken HOF'er and do not place unfair pressure upon Crawford. Relax everyone.

In short, this has become a stupid thread. Crawford is extremely athletic and not too short to play the 3. And aside from those with agendas, the comparisons to Highmark were quite clear, were limited to height and athletic ability, were not made to demean a Billiken HOF'er and do not place unfair pressure upon Crawford. Relax everyone.

Highmark played as a freshman because it was a crappy team. Crawford didn't play because he was on a team that was a conference champion. Highmark could barely touch the net when he jumped. Crawford can get above the rim. Let's not even get started on Highmark's defense.

I am fundamentally against severe criticisms of any of our athletes (on the court) who play for us, go out there and fight for our school. I have held that position at all times.

It is just not right.

Those who slammed KC for all those years made me sick to think that they called themselves Billiken fans and post on this board.

So to take shots at an icon like Scott Highmark particularly is disturbing.

And for all those who believe DE played the 3 these past few years, I believe he is only 6'4". Jordair Jett sometimes played the 3, was quite effective and is not 6'5". A long list of guys who played the 3 (and were effective at the 3) could be listed but I don't list more names in that my comments could be deemed additional and unfair comparisons!! :lol:

Well said Clock_Tower.

I am fundamentally against severe criticisms of any of our athletes who play for us, go out there and fight for our school.

It is just not right.

Those who slammed KM for all those years made me sick to think that they called themselves Billiken fans and post on this board.

So to take shots at an icon like Scott Highmark particularly is disturbing.

Stop the fake outrage. They were not slams. They are facts. He more than made up for those things in other aspects of his game.

Scott joked about the fact he couldn't jump and Spoonhour joked about the fact Scott couldn't come close to dunking the ball. I was probably a little too harsh on Highmark's defense. He wasn't outstanding, but he probably wasn't as bad as I remember either. The extreme plays either good or bad tend to stick in your mind longer than the average. Spoonhour, also, used to joke about the defensive deficiencies of both Highmark and Clagget. Scott will still bring that up in almost every broadcast he does and talk about how they were able to get away with it because of the other things they did on the court.

Highmark is probably still a top 20 all time Billiken as of 2014, but almost certainly not top 10.

I don't think Highmark is a top 10 all-time Billiken, but he is definitely in the discussion. Lot of good players through the years. McCauley, Bonner, Gray, Ferry, Boushka, Rogers, Mithcell, Jett, Hughes, Waldman, Clagget, Burns, Wiley, Perry.

Carlos McCauley?!?

or perhaps you meant Ed Macauley...who should be a lock

Bonner also has to be a lock.

The following are in my view, clearly above Highmark on the all time list

Boushka

Ferry

Rogers

Burns

Claggett

Perry

Jett

Evans

That's 10. It's hard to argue Highmark should replace any of them.

also in the discussion...(but not limited to)

Douglass

Gray

Hughes

Love

Wiley

Irving

McKinney

Waldman

Mitchell

Still think Crawford will one one of our best players this season even if that means coming off the bench. Not gonna overreact to one exhibition game for any of the players.

Don't understand why certain posters are hyping up MC so much. Just let the frosh and sophs play. Time and play will soon tell us who will be the players and who won't.