Starting 5 Predictions

slufan13

Starting 5  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Which 5 players will start the most games this season?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After today's scrimmage I think it is a no brainer McBroom, Ash, Manning (Healthy) and Glaze start. The 5th spot is up for grabs, Roby, Crawford, Lancona, Yarbrough, in that order. Agbeko will be in the mix but he's not healthy so hard to say. Right now I might start Crawford or Lancona but in some fashion Roby gets more minutes than they do. We may see Reynolds and Mcbroom in the same backcourt as well.

RA's not healthy? Still suffering effects of hi shoulder injury? Thought that was all better and a non issue?

Thought I read somewhere that he also had an ankel sprain last week and it still hurts.

Thought I read somewhere that he also had an ankel sprain last week and it still hurts.

RA came down on a teammate's foot in last Saturday's practice. Was expected to be out about 2 weeks, and was wearing a boot up until a few days ago. He played first 3 minutes of scrimmage and opted out due to soreness. The team had practiced yesterday and then waited around for the bash. Suspect it tightened or swelled up on him. From what I have heard he is an offensive beast and by far the best post scorer with a 40"+ vertical. I suspect he will be the starter at the 4.

Starting 5

AM (Miles will most likely get that start at some point)

AY

TL

RA

JM (Jolly may get some starts based on Manning's health)

RA came down on a teammate's foot in last Saturday's practice. Was expected to be out about 2 weeks, and was wearing a boot up until a few days ago. He played first 3 minutes of scrimmage and opted out due to soreness. The team had practiced yesterday and then waited around for the bash. Suspect it tightened or swelled up on him. From what I have heard he is an offensive beast and by far the best post scorer with a 40"+ vertical. I suspect he will be the starter at the 4.

Thanks for the info. At this point there have to be concerns about Agbeko's durability, but I'm glad there's an explanation why he didn't stand out in the scrimmage.

Lancona is a stretch 4 like Cody. He's a muscular 6'8 230. I don't envision Lancona, Agbeko, and Manning playing together too much. Who guards the opposing 3?

Lancona and Glaze can play together because Glaze is typically quick enough to guard the opposing 3. Then GG lines up as the 4 on the offensive end with Lancona out on the perimeter.

After thinking about it more, I like Glaze starting alongside Lancona with Roby coming off the bench (and ultimately playing 'starter' minutes). Glaze will get away with more of his harassment as a "starter" than a bench player (remember last year when he picked up 5 fouls in 6 minutes!?!). Glaze (like McBroom) will be able to score against the crap OOC opponents in the early going.

Roby is a nice fit for the sub off the bench as he dials up the defensive intensity and can bring the ball up the court. Remember this was Jett's role for a long stretch of his SLU career.

Thanks for the info. At this point there have to be concerns about Agbeko's durability, but I'm glad there's an explanation why he didn't stand out in the scrimmage.

Lancona is a stretch 4 like Cody. He's a muscular 6'8 230. I don't envision Lancona, Agbeko, and Manning playing together too much. Who guards the opposing 3?

Lancona and Glaze can play together because Glaze is typically quick enough to guard the opposing 3. Then GG lines up as the 4 on the offensive end with Lancona out on the perimeter.

After thinking about it more, I like Glaze starting alongside Lancona with Roby coming off the bench (and ultimately playing 'starter' minutes). Glaze will get away with more of his harassment as a "starter" than a bench player (remember last year when he picked up 5 fouls in 6 minutes!?!). Glaze (like McBroom) will be able to score against the crap OOC opponents in the early going.

Roby is a nice fit for the sub off the bench as he dials up the defensive intensity and can bring the ball up the court. Remember this was Jett's role for a long stretch of his SLU career.

Good points. I can see us using a three-big lineup against certain match-ups, but it won't happen all that frequently. Glaze can guard an average 3, and Lancona might be able to guard a few, but those will not be featured line-ups, unless Glaze has drastically improved his perimeter defense.

I like keeping one guy who is capable of creating his own points on the bench to even out rotations a bit (like Majerus did), and could see McBroom fall into that role with Reynolds starting and coming out just before the first TV timeout. I like Grandy as a starter, as he makes sure that we hit the ground running; his intensity is contagious. I see Glaze/Manning coming out for Lancona/Agbeko at the TV timeout. I was unable to see the scrimmage last night, but it sounded like Roby will be an asset for us and could see him as the next guard in, who keeps the defensive intensity up and subs in for Crawford - these minutes could easily be reversed. Ash will play until he gets tired, and then either Reynolds comes back in or we play to the match-up for a couple of minutes (e.g. Jolly could get some minutes here if they have a banger who we don't mind fouling.)

My new minute-projections for all of the rotation guys:

1 - Reynolds (20), McBroom (20)

2 - Yacoubou (28), McBroom (4), Roby (4), Reynolds (4)

3 - Crawford (22), Roby (14). Lancona (2), Glaze (2)

4 - Glaze (16), Lancona (18), Agbeko (6)

5 - Manning (18), Agbeko (16), Jolly (6)

I think Yarbrough and Bartley will get occasional minutes based on foul trouble and injuries; they could eat into Crawford and Reynolds' minutes as well depending on performance. Jolly could find a way to steal some more minutes from Manning and Glaze, and will see increased time against teams with true bigs (like at LaSalle last year). Gillmann probably won't see the floor much, and I'm hoping he gets redshirted. The main change from my earlier projection is that I took minutes from McBroom and displaced him as the starter. We'll see if Crews adopts the Majerus philosophy of keeping some scoring/experience on the bench.

As for points, this is even more of a crapshoot, but why not make wild guesses? I'm sooo ready for the season to actually get started...

Yacoubou - 16

McBroom - 10

Agbeko - 8

Lancona - 8

Crawford - 7

Reynolds - 7

Manning - 6

Glaze - 5

Roby - 4

Jolly - 2

So 73ppg, which is three more than last year. I highly doubt we will keep opponents to 62ppg this season, though.

I think we will rely on our starters to play tough defense and run some scripted plays to open the game that get us efficient looks (open threes for Crawford, isolations for Ash, cuts for Grandy). The bench unit, led by Lancona, Agbeko and McBroom will ensure that we get points when Ash is out of the game, but might be a bit weaker defensively; Roby can help balance that out hopefully.

• 3 months later...