Recruiting - 2016

Yeah, that's right. Great example. I remember his decommitment from Louisville and was curious to see how that would end up. Quite a coup for LSU, which is putting together a major class.

I don't think many people realize just how much sway the big shoe companies have in guiding recruits to schools. I remember the recruitment of Shabazz Muhammad and the thought that Adidas was a major factor in him choosing UCLA over Kentucky. Money talks.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think many people realize just how much sway the big shoe companies have in guiding recruits to schools. I remember the recruitment of Shabazz Muhammad and the thought that Adidas was a major factor in him choosing UCLA over Kentucky. Money talks.

Of Tatum's top 10, it appears that Kansas (adidas) is the only non-Nike school - Arizona, Connecticut, Duke, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, North Carolina, Saint Louis, and Wake Forest are all Nike schools. If Nike is indeed his future, that puts KU in a tough spot.

He says he'll be trimming his list to 5 around the time AAU season starts. It's going to be interesting.

Of Tatum's top 10, it appears that Kansas (adidas) is the only non-Nike school - Arizona, Connecticut, Duke, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, North Carolina, Saint Louis, and Wake Forest are all Nike schools. If Nike is indeed his future, that puts KU in a tough spot.

He says he'll be trimming his list to 5 around the time AAU season starts. It's going to be interesting.

I would bet an arm and a leg that we end up in his top 3.

If he really wants to help put SLU / St Louis on the map, then I hope he will keep us in his top 2-5 regardless if he actually plans to come here.

That is so dumb. If he isn't coming, I'd prefer he tell us immediately so we can stop wasting time and resources recruiting him. Coming in "2nd place" is the worst possible scenario here.

That is so dumb. If he isn't coming, I'd prefer he tell us immediately so we can stop wasting time and resources recruiting him. Coming in "2nd place" is the worst possible scenario here.

Disagree.. I'll glady let the #1 player in the country string us along/keep SLU in the conversation as long as he wants. Remember, kshoe, hope can be a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Disagree.. I'll glady let the #1 player in the country string us along/keep SLU in the conversation as long as he wants. Remember, kshoe, hope can be a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

If he strung us along but we didn't waste any resources recruiting him then fine. But that's not how it would be. Instead, Crews and the assistants would make it a point to attend as many of his games as they are allowed and follow him during the AAU season. Those are nights that they could be out watching other local kids like Xavier Sneed or Jordan Goodwin or Wyatt Yess or the kid from East St. Louis or whoever (the names don't really matter). Maybe instead of attending his AAU games next summer they go to a different AAU tourney and find a hidden gem or maybe just making Option B on our recruitment a priority is enough to get him to commit.

Its pretty simple economics if you ask me. There is a significant cost to recruiting a player like Jayson Tatum and if there is no possibility of him playing for SLU then there is no benefit. Hope has no benefit.

p.s. All this is hypothetical as I believe we should be recruiting him and do have a chance at him, but was merely a response to a poster suggesting we should hope he strings us along only to dump us at the end.

........ the #1 kid in the country is talking up your very unknown school (outside of people who really love the Jesuits or are Missouri/East Side STL born)... terrible, TERRIBLE.

If he strung us along but we didn't waste any resources recruiting him then fine. But that's not how it would be. Instead, Crews and the assistants would make it a point to attend as many of his games as they are allowed and follow him during the AAU season. Those are nights that they could be out watching other local kids like Xavier Sneed or Jordan Goodwin or Wyatt Yess or the kid from East St. Louis or whoever (the names don't really matter). Maybe instead of attending his AAU games next summer they go to a different AAU tourney and find a hidden gem or maybe just making Option B on our recruitment a priority is enough to get him to commit.

Its pretty simple economics if you ask me. There is a significant cost to recruiting a player like Jayson Tatum and if there is no possibility of him playing for SLU then there is no benefit. Hope has no benefit.

p.s. All this is hypothetical as I believe we should be recruiting him and do have a chance at him, but was merely a response to a poster suggesting we should hope he strings us along only to dump us at the end.

Right. Of course your reasoning is sound/agreeable, my point was mainly that if Tatum gave us the axe tomorrow, we would have a lot less to look forward to/distract us from how hard some of our recent games have been to watch. When Tatum does decide on his destination, the board could also do without the "see, we should never have wasted our time" posts that I'm sure will come (not saying this would be anyone specifically). Personally, I can't imagine seeing a SLU hat on the table in front of Jayson, next to UK/Dook, etc. Wouldn't that be wild to watch, regardless of the outcome.

........ the #1 kid in the country is talking up your very unknown school (outside of people who really love the Jesuits or are Missouri/East Side STL born)... terrible, TERRIBLE.

Finishing 2nd on a few top prospects has really helped Illini recruiting in Champaign. Cliff Alexander showed their hat on ESPN2!

Finishing 2nd on a few top prospects has really helped Illini recruiting in Champaign. Cliff Alexander showed their hat on ESPN2!

This is getting a little silly. It's pretty obvious, in hindsight, that every school wishes they could reallocate spent money/time elsewhere if a recruit ends up choosing a different program.

We aren't in Illinois' class when it comes to recruiting. Tatum is likely the only top 10? 25? 50? 100? recruit we will be in on until when again? It would be wasting resources if we WEREN'T listed in his final 5/10... but we are, and he visits the school every other week. So, I think we'll keep trying. It certainly doesn't hurt us to keep being mentioned as a possible destination for the #1 player in the country.

This is getting a little silly. It's pretty obvious, in hindsight, that every school wishes they could reallocate spent money/time elsewhere if a recruit ends up choosing a different program.

We aren't in Illinois' class when it comes to recruiting. Tatum is likely the only top 10? 25? 50? 100? recruit we will be in on until when again? It would be wasting resources if we WEREN'T listed in his final 5/10... but we are, and he visits the school every other week. So, I think we'll keep trying. It certainly doesn't hurt us to keep being mentioned as a possible destination for the #1 player in the country.

You are confusing the debate. The debate is not whether we should continue recruiting him as most everyone believes we should.

The debate is whether we should continue recruiting him if we knew with 100% certainty we weren't getting him. I think most rational people would say that is a waste of time and precious resources. A few seem to believe that there is significant value in merely being mentioned with the top prospect or in providing false hope to a fan base that is frustrated right now.

To put it in different terms, can anyone describe a single business where someone spends time and effort trying to sell a customer they have 0% chance of getting to purchase something? Businesses that do that go bankrupt very quick.

Kshoe, there are such businesses. Check the watch issue in Financial Times supplement "How to Spend It." Real name. They have watches advertised for over 200,000 pounds. If this is not enough to convince you that you will never have it, you might want to sign a power of attorney giving someone else control over your bank account.

You are confusing the debate. The debate is not whether we should continue recruiting him as most everyone believes we should.

The debate is whether we should continue recruiting him if we knew with 100% certainty we weren't getting him. I think most rational people would say that is a waste of time and precious resources. A few seem to believe that there is significant value in merely being mentioned with the top prospect or in providing false hope to a fan base that is frustrated right now.

To put it in different terms, can anyone describe a single business where someone spends time and effort trying to sell a customer they have 0% chance of getting to purchase something? Businesses that do that go bankrupt very quick.

Depends what the prospecting expenses are, Kshoe. If he was on the WC or EC and we were flying our "salesman" out there every other week, definitely not. But if the company you are trying to sell has their offices right next door and it costs you a dozen donuts once a week and some time, why not continue to take a shot? Often times, persistence and desire are really good sales tools. That said, do I think we land him? Slim to none, but it's not costing us too much so keep trying anyways.

Depends what the prospecting expenses are, Kshoe. If he was on the WC or EC and we were flying our "salesman" out there every other week, definitely not. But if the company you are trying to sell has their offices right next door and it costs you a dozen donuts once a week and some time, why not continue to take a shot? Often times, persistence and desire are really good sales tools. That said, do I think we land him? Slim to none, but it's not costing us too much so keep trying anyways.

So let's take your silly analogy a little further. Let's say that because of your city's rules (i.e. the NCAA), you are allowed to give out only so many donuts and each time you give donuts to one prospect you lose the ability to give donuts to another prospect that is interested purchasing your product (either because of lack of time or the rules of the city). Does it really still make sense to continue giving away donuts and time to a prospect that has told you straight up there is a 0% of doing business? Remember, 0% means 0%.

So let's take your silly analogy a little further. Let's say that because of your city's rules (i.e. the NCAA), you are allowed to give out only so many donuts and each time you give donuts to one prospect you lose the ability to give donuts to another prospect that is interested purchasing your product (either because of lack of time or the rules of the city). Does it really still make sense to continue giving away donuts and time to a prospect that has told you straight up there is a 0% of doing business? Remember, 0% means 0%.

Mods- Please assess 15 warning points to Kshoe for his utter disregard in ***** slapping SLU72.