W/L record predictions

bauman

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with a lot in the this thread. Keith Carter stinks. Did we also miss Dustin McGuire's three point shot in our loss in the NCAAs to Louisville? Give me a break. In regards to McBroom, it seems like basketball is his 3rd or 4th priority. I hope that the freshman are challenging him for minutes come conference season time.

And good lord SLU72 - 16 losses. Who are they? do you think we will go 2-14 in conference or something. I have us at 20 wins...that metric doesnt mean much anymore but our recruiting has been very strong and these are not Soderberg's freshmen.

Maybe I am wrong but I think this is the closest we have been to "reloading" as the BCSers do.

-Nick

That's not what Majerus thought about Carter when he recruited him. I like this team and the freshmen but they need experience as a unit.

I felt like the loss of Carter would not hurt us much in the short-term (the past year and a half), but would hurt us this season where we could use an experienced true point guard to help with the transition. I still feel that way and while Carter would have certainly made us better this year, I don't think his presence makes us a Tourney team. As it turns out, the kid decided to be a tool. While there will be some growing pains with this year's team, the positive is that Carter's absence will speed up the development of guys like Bartley and Reynolds.

How in the world did this thread turn into a debate on Keith Carter? The guy averaged 5.7 ppg and 2.3 apg. last year for Valpo. Not exactly earth shattering numbers and certainly not a difference maker on this team.

Agree with SLU_Nick, not sure how anyone could predict 16 losses on this schedule and call themselves a realist. Pessimist seems like the right description.

How in the world did this thread turn into a debate on Keith Carter? The guy averaged 5.7 ppg and 2.3 apg. last year for Valpo. Not exactly earth shattering numbers and certainly not a difference maker on this team.

Agree with SLU_Nick, not sure how anyone could predict 16 losses on this schedule and call themselves a realist. Pessimist seems like the right description.

We never go on tangents on this board, do we?

I predicted the board dynamic would really shift following last season as we head into a transitional year - the optimists vs. the pessimists. I'm undecided at the moment, but should quickly pick a camp after the first game or two.

A lot of people think that Vermont game is going to be really hard. Just at a quick glance, it looks like they lost more than us from last year(Graduated all 5 starters and 6 seniors). I don't know much about any of those smaller schools so am I missing something here?

Vermont and Vanderbilt are the only two opponents on the home non-con schedule that figure to be remotely decent. Seems reasonable to expect a loss in one. I was not impressed with Vanderbilt last year and really don't know much of anything about Vermont.

I don't see how everyone is predicting a win against Vanderbilt. I know it is a home game, but seriously we almost lost last year and we have lost almost every major piece from last year. The sophmores may be better than expected but our recruits are not likely to be as good as Vanderbilt's. Their recruiting class is ranked #28 by espn. Not great, but better than ours. I really think most people commenting on this thread are too optimistic (which typically never happens on this board...)

Non-conference: Losses to Vandy, Wichita, and Indiana State (9-3 w/o Rockhurst)

Conference wins: @Davidson, Duquense, @GMU, UMass, St. Joe, @Fordham, Dayton, Lasalle, @Duquense, St. Bonaventure (10-8)

19-11 without Rockhurst. Some very tough games in A-10 play, but we kind of expect that by now.

I don't see how everyone is predicting a win against Vanderbilt. I know it is a home game, but seriously we almost lost last year and we have lost almost every major piece from last year. The sophmores may be better than expected but our recruits are not likely to be as good as Vanderbilt's. Their recruiting class is ranked #28 by espn. Not great, but better than ours. I really think most people commenting on this thread are too optimistic (which typically never happens on this board...)

Vanderbilt is an almost identical team just with slightly better-rated recruits coming in. The game will be a battle.

Lots of teams almost lose at their stupid court. I agree that it'll be a hard game though. I'm counting that as a loss in my prediction of 20 wins.

I understand people not wanting to be optimistic before they see anything. Typically I'd be the same way, but I've heard a lot of positive things from multiple reliable sources so I'm expecting a decent season.

Vermont should be an interesting team. They have a CBC kid (Pierson) on the team that was hurt last year so I wonder if the SLU series is in part for him. I hope they keep the series going because Welmer's HS teammate Speidl (mentioned in the recruiting threads) is Vermont's big recruit for next year.

I have no idea how good Vermont is going to be this year but they did play Carleton (ONT) about a month ago and lost. They play St. Joe's in November so that will be an indicator of how good they are. They have a few nagging injuries from the offseason. Trae Bell-Haynes is apparently a freshman with a lot of scoring ability (but turnover prone I guess as well). Dre Wills is supposedly a lot better this year than last and is good defender.

Vermont is good to have on the schedule as they usually win 20+ games but yet are beatable. I say they play in Burlington every other year!

Non-conference: Losses to Vandy, Wichita, and Indiana State (9-3 w/o Rockhurst)

Conference wins: @Davidson, Duquense, @GMU, UMass, St. Joe, @Fordham, Dayton, Lasalle, @Duquense, St. Bonaventure (10-8)

19-11 without Rockhurst. Some very tough games in A-10 play, but we kind of expect that by now.

Interesting combo on GMU. You pick us to win on the road to them but lose to them here at home?

No prediction .... too many questions.

1) Are Manning and Glaze who we've come to know or is there some "Summer" of something that has miraculously busted that trend?

2) How much rust on Ash Yacoubou? And is he more than the 2 ppg scorer he was at Nova or a bust as a four-star kid out of high school?

3) Can McBroom be a point guard and if so, who does he involve?

4) How decent are the sophomores? Really?

5) Do the freshmen contribute much more meaningfully and consistently than last year's freshmen?

6) Who scores on this team and how?

7) Can this team win on the road?

Can't wait ........

Taj Mahal 79, I have a lot of the same questions. Remember, the situation year with a class of FR that turned out to be one of SLUs finest and coached by the great RM we got 12 Ws. Now, granted we have 2 SRs on this team, a small JR, and a questionable transfer. The SOPHs, too my way of thinking, are almost as questionable as the FR based on their lack of mpg last year. We all want to be pleasantly surprised as this team's like one of those grab bags you bought at fairs, you don't know what you're buying but you're hoping it's the one that's full of the good stuff.

I will say I think if McBroom is still playing starter minutes by the end of the year, this season won't be going how I hoped it would. I just don't see him at a strong PG in the A10. More like a 15-20 mpg guy off the bench.