I was not sold on Crews

GOSLU68

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are only 5 games into this year's season, we have a lot more left this year, the A10 competition will be tougher than our first 3 competitors, the A10 may possibly be tougher than North Florida but hopefully not tougher than Louisville, I remind everyone that I was not in favor of our hiring Crews in the first place but that I am hopeful and believe he needs to be given the chance to succeed, that I am no where close to suggesting we renew his contract after this year's 4 and 1 record.... but at the same time, I wonder if so many were wrong about Crews' ability to recruit (we kept hearing how bad these guys are but Crawford was awesome last night, Reggie has made a big improvement this year, Miles has proven to be a really nice, athletic and quick PG, etc.) or if so many were wrong about Crews' ability to coach these kids up? (Mike and Reggie are working hard, all 6 Frosh from last year returned and have made improvements both offensively and defensively -- especially MIles).

Kind of funny because so many said that if kids are not good as a Frosh they will remain either bad or role players and that marginal or incremental improvement will not be enough -- not true.Also kind of funny listening to the criticism of Bishop and Neufeld this year -- neither can play good defense -- which may be true but sure sounds familiar with last year's Frosh. Just coincidence that both North Florida and Louisville had poor shooting nights against us or have our Sophs and Juniors learned a little about how to play defense. And again, does Crews receive credit for this (maybe he can coach and develop kids) or the players receive credit on their own (maybe Crews recruited better players than so many thought)?

I've been surprised by the comparisons between this team and the Jordanair Jett, Mike McCall, Dwayne Evans, and Rob Lowe group. Seems to me, that the real comparison should be to Conklin and Cassidy's sophomore year. When I do that, this group compares nicely.

If you agree with that, then the next question is how do Neufeld, Welmer, and Bishop compare to the Jett/ McCall class. Time will tell, but I think we may be closer than I thought last spring, after last year's disappointing season.

I've been surprised by the comparisons between this team and the Jordanair Jett, Mike McCall, Dwayne Evans, and Rob Lowe group. Seems to me, that the real comparison should be to Conklin and Cassidy's sophomore year. When I do that, this group compares nicely.

If you agree with that, then the next question is how do Neufeld, Welmer, and Bishop compare to the Jett/ McCall class. Time will tell, but I think we may be closer than I thought last spring, after last year's disappointing season.

The 2010 class (featuring Evans, et al.) was two years behind the 2008 class (featuring Mitchell, Conklin, et al.). In between, the 2009 class featured Ellis. Stacking three good classes together started that stretch. The current regime hasn't gotten three classes quite as good, overall. The current freshmen are just a year behind the big 2014 class. There's no Cody Ellis and no extra year of Kwamain Mitchell (figuratively speaking) forthcoming.

You do make a good point in that the 2008 class reached the CBI final as sophomores with no seniors or juniors. This year's squad appears to be of a similar caliber, except there are three senior and juniors who could elevate the team even further with urgent play (especially Yacoubou, the senior — if he could reach his potential, he has the ability to lead the team to a conference tournament championship with support). But the 2008 class of Mitchell, Willie Reed, Conklin, and Cassity (not counting the three players who'd left or been hurt by the 2008 CBI) was more talented, overall, than the 2014 class of Roby, Reynolds, Gillmann, Bartley, Jolly, and Yarbrough, and the 2009 class of Ellis, Cory Remekun, Christian Salecich, Justin Jordan, and Jon Smith (the latter three of which played in that CBI season before subsequently leaving the team) was better — at least that one year, thanks to Ellis's stardom — than the 2015 class of Neufeld and Bishop projects to be this season. The class that we need to compare to the 2010 class would be the 2016 class; can Welmer, Zeke Moore, and Guytu B. Named-Later rival the winningest class in SLU history?

My concern is that RA and more so AY will play up and not melt when there are tall fast men on them.

I loved Douglas and Gray tandem of years ago but Monroe who was a leaper but not a giant would melt down in fierce competition and anihilate the weak. I often thought he was the most talent freshman outside of Hughes but he played the same all 4 years that freshman talent did not take him higher with more experience. Austin Mc Broom had talent but too short and slow to play in the A10. My hope is that once we get into league players we have 5-8 players who can rise to the occasion

The seasoned, mature team with Jett, Loe, McCall, & Evans as seniors lost to Louisville by 15.

Our young team this year with one transfer senior and only two juniors lost to Louisville by 20. These comparisons are not completely valid, of course, it is not that simple.

We had our usual crybaby whiner posters throw hissy fits after this years Louisville game.

IMO we still have reason to be somewhat optimistic, we have good potential with the 6 sophs and 3 freshmen recruits, all 3* and 2*. We need one or two young bigs to grow/mature/step up at the 5 and 4.

We shall see.

The seasoned, mature team with Jett, Loe, McCall, & Evans as seniors lost to Louisville by 15.

Our young team this year with one transfer senior and only two juniors lost to Louisville by 20.

We had our usual crybaby whiner posters throw hissy fits after the Louisville game.

Love it

Louisville is just as different as we are since then. That's just kind of a meaningless comparison.

Kind of? Not only are both teams 100% different, but we went 0-15 from 3 against Louisville in the tournament. That was the source of most of the whining and crying. And we still lost by "only" 15 in spite of that horrendous shooting performance. This year we got some of the hottest distance shooting we are likely to see all year, and still lost by 20.

Best just to say it could have been worse, applaud Crawford for his performance last weekend, and move on. Anything else just seems pretty whiny.

Louisville is just as different as we are since then. That's just kind of a meaningless comparison.

Louisville is undefeated this year.

A top 20-25 team.

One of the most unique defenses in NCAA, one of the best.

Sure it's not apples to apples, but I'm pointing out that negative 24/7 cynics like you should appreciate our team more.

Our young team this year with one transfer senior and only two juniors lost to Louisville by 20. These comparisons are not completely valid, of course, it is not that simple.

We had our usual crybaby whiner posters throw hissy fits after the Louisville game.

That comparison makes very little sense.

Louisville and the Bills may be different teams than they were a few years ago but one thing that hasn't changed is Pitino's philosphy...which is to wear the opponent down....lots of depth and stamina and then somewhere deep in the 2nd half (usually 10-15 min mark...there is usually a TO that starts it) Lville puts its foot on the gas and starts pressing hard on D and starts running on O. A 5 minute burst which opens up at lest a 10 pt lead and the opponent gives up

The Bills 2nd half.........

Mar 2014....10 min mark....41-37...Lou...5min later 52-39

Nov 2015.....15 min mark ..38-34...Lou..5 min later..53-40

No Fla...2nd half

Nov 2015.......15 min mark...53-47...Lou....4 min later...69-49

There are many more examples of this but you get the idea. In order to beat the Cards you have to be able to withstand the 5 min rush. We didn't either time ...but ...I think Mich St can...Winner might be the last one to sink a basket.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billiken-beat/crews-talks-timeouts-and-remembering-majerus/article_86b6f661-cce1-563a-9c77-9b8a3c76e315.html

-the comments by JCrews in the link above are puzzling to me, the game is designed to give a chance to coach with timeouts and we have decided using these opportunities is not for us, let the players figure it out on their own

http://www.insidestlaudio.com/Pressbox/120115-6PB.mp3

-the link above is with Frank yesterday where JCrews says MY is not where they want him to be as a player

-Frank also tries to promote the game Saturday and instead of being an ambassador for the program and follow on with where Frank is going JCrews doesn't take the bait, I guess he doesn't have an attendance clause in his contract

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billiken-beat/crews-talks-timeouts-and-remembering-majerus/article_86b6f661-cce1-563a-9c77-9b8a3c76e315.html

-the comments by JCrews in the link above are puzzling to me, the game is designed to give a chance to coach with timeouts and we have decided using these opportunities is not for us, let the players figure it out on their own

-the link above is with Frank yesterday where JCrews says MY is not where they want him to be as a player

-Frank also tries to promote the game Saturday and instead of being an ambassador for the program and follow on with where Frank is going JCrews doesn't take the bait, I guess he doesn't have an attendance clause in his contract

After having listen to Crews in a numerous interviews I have come to the conclusion that I do not think he very savvy when it comes to selling the program. He is often luke warm about it - not sure if he is just trying to be honest or really does not understand how he sounds. I wonder if this is part of his problem with recruiting - he simply does not excite others. He has to know that his job is dependent on the turnstile being successful - after all, Brad got fired after a winning season because Biondi was concerned about filing the new arena. If tix sales and season tix numbers drop or are stagnant, he will be fired regardless of his record. The bb program is critical to supporting other programs and part of the reason he is making what he is making is because of these expectations.

After having listen to Crews in a numerous interviews I have come to the conclusion that I do not think he very savvy when it comes to selling the program. He is often luke warm about it - not sure if he is just trying to be honest or really does not understand how he sounds. I wonder if this is part of his problem with recruiting - he simply does not excite others. He has to know that his job is dependent on the turnstile being successful - after all, Brad got fired after a winning season because Biondi was concerned about filing the new arena. If tix sales and season tix numbers drop or are stagnant, he will be fired regardless of his record. The bb program is critical to supporting other programs and part of the reason he is making what he is making is because of these expectations.

Some of the best college coaches remind me of sleazy salesmen. You have to be able to sell even if your enthusiasm is fake.

I fully agree with you in this one. J Crews is not adept to PR or public speaking.

He's no worse (and probably better) than RickMa was. As much as we miss him, Rick was at best a loose cannon combined with a rock-music lyricist whenever he opened his mouth publicly. :)

Problem is, Crews can't hold Majerus' jock. We need either a snake oil salesman, a snake charmer, or a bunch of gotdamn werewolves. Good enough isn't good enough. Problems is problems.

Some pretty disappointing stuff from Crews in that link.