Upset City, Baby! First Week Upsets Galore

TheA_Bomb

What do Groce and Illinois basketball have to do with Jim Crews and SLU?

Are we sure that Illini fans are giving Groce a pass? I don't know many Illini fans, but the few I do considered Groce to be on the hot seat heading into the season and I doubt they are overly receptive to excuses for losing to North Florida.

From a SLU perspective and looking at a team we are playing in a week, putting their victory over Illinois into context makes sense though since it likely wasn't as big of an upset as many would think considering their injuries.

I agree that the Illinois game was not an upset. As I pointed out earlier in this thread many of the "upset" games had very close spreads with the home team advantage being the difference in the game. . The Illini game was one of these games.. Had that game been played in FL , UNF would have been the favored team.

As for SLU/UNF,...I would be disappointed with a double digit loss to UNF. These teams are even up right now...I will pick a winner based on how the Bills do against SIU-e and St Fran ...and how UNF does against Louisville. Our game with UNF will be our first serious challenge. I am expecting a great game and certainly would not concede anything to UNF.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think it qualifies as a huge upset, but Miami absolutely destroyed a good Utah team. Butler-Miami will be an interesting game.

Hard to call this an upset since Mia ( A ) was the better team....Utah ( A- )... I had Mia by 3

The 3 surprises were....

The margin of victory especially with Utah at home.

Why Utah was ranked

Why Miami was not ranked

Hopefully questions 2 & 3 will be resolved next week.

Hard to call this an upset since Mia ( A ) was the better team....Utah ( A- )... I had Mia by 3

The 3 surprises were....

The margin of victory especially with Utah at home.

Why Utah was ranked

Why Miami was not ranked

Hopefully questions 2 & 3 will be resolved next week.

I said it was hard to call it an upset and the game was played in San Juan.

I said it was hard to call it an upset and the game was played in San Juan.

Sorry about the home field call ... the wire service I looked at had Utah as the home team...Still doesn't account for the whupping Utah took ...On the neutral court ...Mia by 5....maybe too many time zones for the Utes

Wiz, your questions directly address the subjectivity (lack of objectivity) in the official ranking procedures.

I think the voters are fairly objective on the top 10 teams...sometimes a little out of order but usually not too bad. The problem is the next 15 teams. I think 25 teams is too many to follow so then subjectivity and bias creep in. As a voter you have a feel for the first 10 but then you have to fill out the rest of the dance card. When in doubt voters swallow the hype and also trend toward the name teams.

Wiz, this is exactly the point. You could make a hypothetical ranking accuracy curve with the accuracy decreasing linearly or exponentially as the ranking number increases. Therefore, the first 10 are OK, then it gets iffy. By the time you are around 100 accuracy is not good, at the mid 200s accuracy goes out the window. What I am trying to say is that an official ranking at 130 has a broad margin of error, and the margin increases as the ranking increases.

North Florida played Louisville to a standstill in the first half, scoring 41 points. In the 2nd half the Cardinals really got out on the shooters and NF couldn't get any clean looks. Also they absolutely demolished NF on both backboards. Turned into a 28 point route.

Louisville got a breakout game from a 6'10 freshman forward named Spalding. He's going to be a handful.

The Illini needed a 3 pointer at the buzzer to pull out a win against Chicago St..

That would've been real bad. Even with injuries, read that Chicago St came in as 343 in Kenpom ratings and I looked to see who they have beaten and don't think a single win has been against a Div I team.

I wonder how many of those games Roy has lost over the years.

not the SLU vs Tyler Hansbrough game.... Ill never forget watching us in our pregame layup line, then looking across the court and seeing UNC dunk medicine balls for their warmup

That would've been real bad. Even with injuries, read that Chicago St came in as 343 in Kenpom ratings and I looked to see who they have beaten and don't think a single win has been against a Div I team.

Give the Illini and Groce a break, they've had injuries. And it is tough for these BCS programs to build a winner and compete against the non-BCS programs. It takes time.