Upset City, Baby! First Week Upsets Galore

TheA_Bomb

It's tough being a BCS team playing at home against a non-BCS team. I find it kind of amusing that some of the most vocal anti-JC guys are making excuses for Groce. If the Illini miss the Tourney, this will be the 3rd year in a row.

Groce will be out if he misses the tournament, especially if they have a new athletic director in place by then.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's tough being a BCS team playing at home against a non-BCS team. I find it kind of amusing that some of the most vocal anti-JC guys are making excuses for Groce. If the Illini miss the Tourney, this will be the 3rd year in a row.

Narrative is a powerful thing. The overarching story on this board is that Jim Crews is a clueless old man who inherited a great team but never deserved the gig in the first place. Groce is the young Type A go-getter who was the lead recruiter for a high major power and destined for greatness. Things don't always play out according to script.

Narrative is a powerful thing. The overarching story on this board is that Jim Crews is a clueless old man who inherited a great team but never deserved the gig in the first place. Groce is the young Type A go-getter who was the lead recruiter for a high major power and destined for greatness. Things don't always play out according to script.

Amen

What do Groce and Illinois basketball have to do with Jim Crews and SLU?

Are we sure that Illini fans are giving Groce a pass? I don't know many Illini fans, but the few I do considered Groce to be on the hot seat heading into the season and I doubt they are overly receptive to excuses for losing to North Florida.

From a SLU perspective and looking at a team we are playing in a week, putting their victory over Illinois into context makes sense though since it likely wasn't as big of an upset as many would think considering their injuries.

What do Groce and Illinois basketball have to do with Jim Crews and SLU?

Are we sure that Illini fans are giving Groce a pass? I don't know many Illini fans, but the few I do considered Groce to be on the hot seat heading into the season and I doubt they are overly receptive to excuses for losing to North Florida.

From a SLU perspective and looking at a team we are playing in a week, putting their victory over Illinois into context makes sense though since it likely wasn't as big of an upset as many would think considering their injuries.

Considering that SLU is not as talented as Illinois, even with their injuries, then a double digit loss to North Florida would be acceptable, yes?

Considering that SLU is not as talented as Illinois, even with their injuries, then a double digit loss to North Florida would be acceptable, yes?

I did not watch the Illinois/North Florida game, so I have no idea what result would be acceptable. On paper, losing to North Florida would not be overly disappointing though.

Nobody made an excuse for Groce on here. The first person that brought up the fact that the Illini are undermanned was 3star who is a Crews backer. There is no narrative going on here.

3-star may have been the first to bring it up, but he wasn't the last.

SLU beating North Florida would be an upset based on the talent on both teams. That doesn't mean a double digit loss should be acceptable. The talent level on SLU's team should have never fell to this point.

With the downturn of both Mizzou and Illinois, it's truly said that we didn't follow up the momentum of the three straight tournament appearances. If we had, recruits on both sides of the river would be ours to lose. Even Bradley, SIU-C, and Missouri St. are down. Huge missed opportunity to be the top dog in the area.

No one used it to excuse what has happened with the Illini over the Groce years. No one said Groce shouldn't be on the hot seat.

Post #15 & 16 were in response to this comment: "I do think it'll be interesting to see how hot Groce's seat gets through the year if they do struggle."

Post #15 & 16 were in response to this comment: "I do think it'll be interesting to see how hot Groce's seat gets through the year if they do struggle."

Neither post was an excuse for Groce's record with the Illini. How is "I do think it'll be interesting to see how hot Groce's seat gets through the year if they do struggle.", excuse making for Groce?

Neither post was an excuse for Groce's record with the Illini. How is "I do think it'll be interesting to see how hot Groce's seat gets through the year if they do struggle.", excuse making for Groce?

That highlighted comment was NOT excuse-making... the responses (#15 & 16), however...

A banged up Illinois team shouldn't lose to North Florida.

A SLU team 2 years removed from a top 10 ranking shouldn't lose to North Florida. Hell, a Soderberg SLU team shouldn't lose to North Florida.

I think our game against them will be a telling game. Beat them and it's a sign of better things to come.

That highlighted comment was NOT excuse-making... the responses (#15 & 16), however...

The highlighted was the response in #16. #15 was "Injuries galore" in response to another poster asking how the Illini were undermanned.

Neither of those are excuse making for Groce.

I don't see us being able to defend North Florida's three-point assault unless the whole team somehow manages to make massive improvements in just a matter of days.

And when it comes to Groce, just like Janice from Accounting on Last Week with John Oliver, I don't give a fuock.

You do realize North Florida would be a top 5 team in our conference, right?

Coming off our success, we should be a top 5 team in our conference. Or We should at least be able to beat a top 5 team at home. Maybe I went too far on the Soderberg line.

Who knows though. Maybe we'll win.

The highlighted was the response in #16. #15 was "Injuries galore" in response to another poster asking how the Illini were undermanned.

Neither of those are excuse making for Groce.

We'll have to agree to disagree on your conclusion.

I suspect if SLU lost under similar circumstances, and you had similar responses regarding injuries, some folks in fact would label it "excuse making."

Post #16 was me and I can assure you I am not making excuses for Groce (that post included "I know some Illinois fans are not high on Groce and considered him to be on the hot seat heading into the season, be interesting to see how things go from here for them"), I know very little about Groce or their program (don't care). As a SLU fan I was interested to see North Florida beat them and found that Illinois was without some key players which is a fact, so I was just putting the game into context. Bills_06 asked "What's going on with Illinois that they are undermanned?", so I was responding to that question with regards to the game the other night.