Upset City, Baby! First Week Upsets Galore

TheA_Bomb

WIU Leathernecks beat #17 Wisc

W&M win @ NCSt. (the tribe DESTROYED them it wasn't close 85-68)

Nooga beats UGA

Belmont spanks the punks at Marquette

UNF sends Illini on trail of tears (microaggression?) (93-81)

Colgate drops GMU

JMU squashes Spiders of Richmond

IUPUI cuts down Sycamores

Sacramento State bedevils AZSt.

Elon over UNCC

Tulane goes down to AL A&M

Slippery Floor (not rock) takes down both Gonzaga and Pitt

Monmouth over UCLA

Other games of Note

GGlaze nets 9pts 9reb in 28 min as his Antelopes of Grand Canyon beat Portland St.

Romar gets close win over Smart in his debut as UT Coach in Shanghai

SDSt over IllSt by 11

TTU barely escaped High Point (pretty sure that's in CO)

Stanford eeks a win over Green Bay

Duq did beat Seton Hill (not a typo)

Not an excuse for what may or may not happen in SLU's upcoming game but wow crazy sh#t went down during this first week.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nooga beats UGA

Colgate drops GMU

Sacramento State bevils AZSt.

Elon over UNCC

Monmouth over UCLA

Other games of Note

GGlaze nets 9pts 9reb in 28 min as his Antelopes of Grand Canyon beat Portland St.

SDSt over IllSt by 11

Not an excuse for what may or may not happen in SLU's upcoming game but wow crazy sh#t went down during this first week.

You could easily write for ESPN or any sports media outlet in the country and mercilessly outscribe them when it comes to substitutes for "beat." The trail of tears reference is genius (or perhaps just a good Jesuit education). :)

A few suggested edits:

WIU Leathernecks fly past #17 Wisc

Nooga railroads UGA

Colgate pastes GMU

Elon has an electric evening against UNCC

Tulane looks green against AL A&M

Monmouth is overbearing at UCLA

Or perhaps Alaska, but also brilliant.

Nooga beats UGA

Colgate drops GMU

Elon over UNCC

Monmouth over UCLA

Other games of Note

SDSt over IllSt by 11

Wait. Is this a joke or are these upsets true? I thought only things like that only happened to Billiken teams?

Nooga beats UGA

Colgate drops GMU

Elon over UNCC

Monmouth over UCLA

Other games of Note

SDSt over IllSt by 11

Nice post

Just a couple of items

First, I have a problem with the U word (upset). I feel it is used too freely. But that is my issue. For the purpose of this thread, if we define upset as a team that won that shouldn't have...then the above games were all upsets. Many of those games listed had very close point spreads. In almost every case, the home team was not only the favored team but the home field advantage was the difference. In other words had the underdog been the home team they would have been favored. I think the point here is if you have a close game forecasted (3 pts or less...at least that was my forecast on many of those games ) and there is no data ( they were all first games) you are going to have a lot of upsets. Home field advantage is not enough to make up for no data in close games.

Moral of the story.....Bills need to focus and not let up because they are favored by 11. If the Bills are not leading by more than 3 with 10 min remaining we will have a problem.

Nobody is really tracking the improvement of low mid-major and low major teams in the offseason. It could very well be the case that Jame Madison, who was 19-14 last year, added a piece in the offseason that makes them a bubble team this year. But it's simply assumed by fans and odds makers that they are the same squad they were a year ago. A team like North Florida, who returns all its starters from an NCAA team, is still regarded as the underdog against an undermanned Illinois squad. If this year's North Florida team is even better than the squad that knocked off Purdue last year, they should have been favored.

And another one bites the dust Hoyas pulverized by Radford

Wiz I see your point regarding the U word. I was just cherry picking games where the traditional College Basketball Fan would assume a win by the team that was beaten in my list. I did this for two reasons 1. there seemed to be a lot of games that are perceived upsets and 2. crazy stuff goes on week one.

Also thanks to Bonwich for recognizing my talent. I was unawares just a savant with a keyboard and WiFi.

Alabama state buzzed Virginia tech tonight.

Not an upset but butler put up 144 points on the citadel tonight. Wow.

I went to a College of Charleston at Citadel game once about 6 years ago. We could put a group of guys together from this board that could beat them and as a bonus we'd be cuter than their Cheerleaders. FACT

Nobody is really tracking the improvement of low mid-major and low major teams in the offseason. It could very well be the case that Jame Madison, who was 19-14 last year, added a piece in the offseason that makes them a bubble team this year. But it's simply assumed by fans and odds makers that they are the same squad they were a year ago. A team like North Florida, who returns all its starters from an NCAA team, is still regarded as the underdog against an undermanned Illinois squad. If this year's North Florida team is even better than the squad that knocked off Purdue last year, they should have been favored.

What's going on with Illinois that they are undermanned? I haven't followed closely but know they lost the first game and saw they had to rally against North Dakota State after being down 11 at half. I do think it'll be interesting to see how hot Groce's seat gets through the year if they do struggle but like I said, I haven't followed them closely so could just be I'm not fully informed.

What's going on with Illinois that they are undermanned? I haven't followed closely but know they lost the first game and saw they had to rally against North Dakota State after being down 11 at half. I do think it'll be interesting to see how hot Groce's seat gets through the year if they do struggle but like I said, I haven't followed them closely so could just be I'm not fully informed.

Injuries galore

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-kendrick-nunn-illinois-20151015-story.html

Yeah, Illinois is fighting some injuries (Tracy Abrams out for the season, Leron Black and Kendrick Nunn out with injuries, and Jaylon Tate and Jalen Coleman-Lands returning from injuries), so it is not overly surprising they lost to North Florida without those kids and a few less than 100%. I know some Illinois fans are not high on Gross and considered him to be on the hot seat heading into the season, be interesting to see how things go from here for them.

It's tough being a BCS team playing at home against a non-BCS team. I find it kind of amusing that some of the most vocal anti-JC guys are making excuses for Groce. If the Illini miss the Tourney, this will be the 3rd year in a row.