A10 Bloggers .....

Taj79

.... have posted their picks for the upcoming season. Link exists on this board to the right at A10 Bloggers preview.

Probably a bunch of no names with no relevance here. Oh, absolutely .... picking the Bills for ninth but ahead of the Bonnies, Duquesne, Mason, Davidson and Fordham. They don't say anything we don't know (except maybe that Crews CAN coach). Just another discussion point or six .....

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beating a dead horse here Taj. We are going to win 20 games and finish in the top 5 in conference despite having the least experienced team in the league. Start guzzling the blue kool aid and get with the program.

A 9th place finish in the league suggests 8 or so conference wins. A team capable of that many wins probably goes 9-3 in our soft non-con schedule. So that's 17 wins.

As I posted in a different thread, the average win total of those that dared to make a prediction/projection was 18.

17 wins or so as estimated by a-10 bloggers is rounding error to the 18 wins posters on this board are predicting/projecting.

A 9th place finish in the league suggests 8 or so conference wins. A team capable of that many wins probably goes 9-3 in our soft non-con schedule. So that's 17 wins.

As I posted in a different thread, the average win total of those that dared to make a prediction/projection was 18.

17 wins or so as estimated by a-10 bloggers is rounding error to the 18 wins posters on this board are predicting/projecting.

I'm sticking w/ my 14 W's but hoping you guys are right. We're undermanned until they prove themselves. Sorry, Kshoe, but not one player that we have coming back stepped up last season to prove differently.

I'm sticking w/ my 14 W's but hoping you guys are right. We're undermanned until they prove themselves. Sorry, Kshoe, but not one player that we have coming back stepped up last season to prove differently.

Pretty harsh to say none of the guys on this years team stepped up last year to prove we're not undermanned. Like Mcbroom wasn't hitting any treys and Glaze wasn't grabbing any boards? I suppose Glaze wasn't a factor in any SLU wins as a starter when we had our record win streak?

Don't tell it to me, tell it to the a-10 bloggers which are implying we will win around 17 games with their prediction of a 9th place finish in the a-10.

If we don't win more than 14 games with this schedule Crews should be fired

He won 12 with JJ, RL, DE, MM, BC, CE..... Sooo different.... Ur right

If Crews loses his 2 best players the day before the season starts then it will be apples to apples. Of course Crews shouldn't be fired if the don't win more than 14 games but it will be a disaster of a season. If that happens my trust in Crews will be diminished considerably. This schedule is so bad.

Did anyone pay attention to Wichita State's? Not saying they weren't an extremely good team, but still....

Yeah, but they'll likely win the MVC tourney. I don't see an A10 tourney win in our future this year. Look, I'll drink the Blue Kool Aid as much as anyone, but that's not going to change the outlook for us this year. Clearly, the guy who writes the top 144, and I don't care how clueless he may be, is going to leave us off the list. We lost too much, we don't have a lot to go on with the returning players, and FR are FR unless they're top 25. That said, here's hoping they're all extremely underrated and we go dancing again.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty harsh to say none of the guys on this years team stepped up last year to prove we're not undermanned. Like Mcbroom wasn't hitting any treys and Glaze wasn't grabbing any boards? I suppose Glaze wasn't a factor in any SLU wins as a starter when we had our record win streak?

Barnett replaced Glaze in the starting lineup just as the winning streak began. Also, Glaze's role diminished as the season wore on. He played less than 10 minutes in 10 of their last 11 games.

McBroom was AWFUL over the last 10 games (i.e. when the schedule got difficult).

McBroom and Glaze are role players, not stars.

If Crews loses his 2 best players the day before the season starts then it will be apples to apples. Of course Crews shouldn't be fired if the don't win more than 14 games but it will be a disaster of a season. If that happens my trust in Crews will be diminished considerably. This schedule is so bad.

For the record Kwamain and Willie were tossed 2 days before official practices began, not the season. It was mid October.

but that's beside the point...the point is that the 2010-11 is not a good comparison. Saying Majerus only won 12 games with all those good players is such a misnomer.

First of all, let's remember that it was also a lost season for Ellis who didn't have a proper offseason regimen due to a firecracker mishap and a bout of mono...his production was down and then he suffered a season ending shoulder injury.

The OOC schedule was designed to challenge an up and coming team, not for a total rebuild of mostly freshmen.

Majerus wrote the season off before it began. The objective was to develop the talented freshmen, not win as many games as possible. At times that meant benching guys like Jett and Evans following bad turnovers and defensive lapses. Case in point, in the 64-62 season opening loss to Austin Peay, Evans only played 13 minutes...in a game we lost by 2 and were outrebounded 31-19. At the time I observed "Evans was on the floor during their good 2nd half run - but sat down the stretch while less talented (but more experienced players) pissed the game away."

Majerus got hurt against Bowling Green (kenpom 239), and the team subsequently melted down and suffered a horrible home loss...then he was out for at least 3 more games (missing a chance to coach circles around Brian Gregory). By the end of the year with Majerus back, the freshmen developing, and Conklin offering a glimpse of the beast that he became the following year, they were a much better team than their record would indicate.

Granted, this team has even less coming back than that team (Cassity and Conklin > Glaze and McBroom), but that team didn't have a veteran transfer like Ash Yacoubou. Additionally, senior Manning will be better defensively than freshman Loe.

At lot is going to hinge on how well the freshman play out of the gate. At least one of them (Milik Yarbrough) needs to emerge as a scorer, and either Bartley or Reynolds needs to surpass McBroom by A10 season if they're going to be any good.