Coach on 590

Per ace bishop = lisch. Ok. Can't successfully reason talking to a crazy person. I'm done on this thread.

Lisch Freshman Numbers: 874 minutes, 321 points (11.1 ppg), 39 assists, 48 turnovers

Bishops's Freshman #: 561 minutes, 240 points (8.9 ppg) 62 assists, 45 turnovers. Had Bishop played 874 minutes what would his numbers look like?

I'm sure if Bishop was from the Metro East, Billiken Roy would be in his corner.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Per ace bishop = lisch. Ok. Can't successfully reason talking to a crazy person. You just go on believing we are in the 2018 ncaa tourney. Hope you're right. I'm done on this thread.

Roy, you are going off on the deep end here. Ace clearly said, "Bishop isn't another Lisch" and nobody has said anything about 2018 NCAA tournaments. Ace talked about "Sodie-like success" and I said something like "above .500" in 2018. Those two are pretty much synonymous by the way!

Ace said Bishop "has gotten off to a nice start and could be a good piece moving forward." That qualifies as obsession?

Not really today. Just the discussion around him over the past few months. My opinion is that he's a good player who is overrated by playing on a horrible team. I think if he's our leading scorer as a senior, we won't be very good.

Not really today. Just the discussion around him over the past few months. My opinion is that he's a good player who is overrated by playing on a horrible team. I think if he's our leading scorer as a senior, we won't be very good.

Jermaine Abdur-Rahim? Shareef Bishop?

I think nitpicking his game is even more strange. Why knock a kid who greatly exceeded expectations and looks like could be a nice player moving forward (I don't recall anybody saying he would lead our team in scoring as a senior). We have some of our fans who look back so fondly on the careers of Chris Sloan with his freshman season averaging 1.3 ppg and Luke Meyer with his first two seasons averaging 3 ppg, yet they find ways to knock a knock a freshman who produced and shows potential.

I think nitpicking his game is even more strange. Why knock a kid who greatly exceeded expectations and looks like could be a nice player moving forward (I don't recall anybody saying he would lead our team in scoring as a senior). We have some of our fans who look back so fondly on the careers of Chris Sloan with his freshman season averaging 1.3 ppg and Luke Meyer with his first two seasons averaging 3 ppg, yet they find ways to knock a knock a freshman who produced and shows potential.

ACE, people on this board love to HATE. The glass is never half full, it is always half empty. In my book, Bishop had a very good freshman season. And the A-10 agreed putting him on the All Rookie Team. As you say, he showed a lot of potential. Let Ford take him under his wing and see how well he does.

I don't think we are that far from respectability. The current roster is definitely not great, but it is really just a PG and a big away from being a surefire .500 team in conference. We have three excellent shooters (Bartley, Crawford, Roby) on the wings and a solid scoring guard (Bishop). Reggie will be an adequate A-10 PF next year. We really just need a distributor at the point or another legit combo guard to complement Bishop, and a center with some athleticism.

I understand recruiting those guys for next year might not happen, but the cupboard isn't bare. Just because these guys didn't look great under Crews doesn't mean that they have no talent. The last two years, the whole was less than the sum of its parts. Ford isn't a coach like Majerus who will make the whole > sum, but he will at least improve moderately on Crews' coaching, and a lot in terms of recruiting. I think whole = sum will be what we get, and that value will slowly increase due to his recruiting acumen. I wouldn't be shocked if he takes this same roster to a .500 overall record next year, although that is not my expectation.

I'll say it. I think he'll lead our team in scoring his senior year.

From our current roster, save for Reggie and Crawford, I think Ford might find Bishop, Bartley, and Robey being serviceable players. Nothing great, but definitely A10 rotational players. I know nothing about Wellmer but find it fascinating how many on here think he's going to be a real surprise going forward. Bishop proved to be better than expected. Hey, all A10 FR ain't a bad thing. Bartley did show some sniper traits in the tourney. Robey can be hot and cold but he did show some D toughness his FR year.

These 3 are the building blocks Travis has to work with. None of them are Lisch or Lidell like talents, but neither are they chopped liver. That ain't much to start with, but the cupboard's not totally bare. Next year will be rough again, but it usually is for a first year coach coming into a very down program. What's needed are for these three to get a lot of minutes this season, so Ford can really get an assessment. So should Wellmer and Neufeld.

Still, I think the only way we get back to respectability w/in 3 years is if he can bring in two quality transfers this year, some good internationals, and legit 3 star recruits over the next two years. I don't envy him his job.

If you want a quick turn around, hope that solid coaching can develop Nuefeld into a really good center. He is more important than any other player on the roster if you want a Nit by season 3. I think he has some tools. If he can develop, it makes the whole rebuilding process a lot easier.