Miles Reynolds to leave SLU

Reynolds with some interesting quotes. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/reynolds-leaving-slu-basketball-team/article_c4d998fd-4956-515f-88d1-53f50db992ce.html

“My mind was pretty much made up at that point, but I wanted to show him respect but let him know it was in my best interests to leave the program,” Reynolds said. “I know he’s going to do great things. He expressed his vision and that I should stay. My decision has nothing to do with coach Ford at all.”

“I wouldn’t call my time here a disappointment by any means,” he said. “I believe we could have done better had the coaching been more consistent and he stuck with a consistent group of guys. Inconsistency in minutes and player rotations never played into the players’ favor. It hurt the team a number of ways, but I tried not to let it affect me when I was out there. It was an honor to put on the SLU jersey.”

Good to hear players express what we've been saying about the coaches

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

“My mind was pretty much made up at that point, but I wanted to show him respect but let him know it was in my best interests to leave the program,” Reynolds said. “I know he’s going to do great things. He expressed his vision and that I should stay. My decision has nothing to do with coach Ford at all.”

“I wouldn’t call my time here a disappointment by any means,” he said. “I believe we could have done better had the coaching been more consistent and he stuck with a consistent group of guys. Inconsistency in minutes and player rotations never played into the players’ favor. It hurt the team a number of ways, but I tried not to let it affect me when I was out there. It was an honor to put on the SLU jersey.”

Miles is a good guy, but here is my interpretation:

First paragraph: I saw the writing on the wall. I wasn't going to beat out Jermaine Bishop for playing time, no matter who is the coach. I want to go some place where I can get minutes.

Second paragraph: Even though Jermaine Bishop improved immensely and produced while on the floor, Coach should have stuck with me.

Don't know how you can read his mind except to say he was probably very po'd he lost a ton of minutes during conf play. Ok, that's good enough reason for one to seek greener grass elsewhere. He gave Ford some time, but I think the milk had already soured.

Good luck, Miles.

The best of the article was the herky jerky style of Crews. In their first year here, Crews was all over the map w/ his lineups and rotation. We all saw what a mess it was and constantly questioned why he couldn't find a set 7-9 man rotation out of his roster. Instead, we saw a constant mish mash of 12 players w/ some getting significant minutes one game and barely seeing the floor the next. The drunk AC from Hoosiers would have figured it out eventually, but Crews never did.

Given what McB and Glaze accomplished at their new locations that year didn't have to be as bad as it was. Granted, we may not have had all A10 talents, but we definitely had a HC who would have failed at CYO ball. Shame, just a bloody shame the shambles he hwas left for Ford.

Second paragraph: Even though Jermaine Bishop improved immensely and produced while on the floor, Coach should have stuck with me.

My interpretation of your interpretation: missing a much larger picture, which was apparent to all, regarding rotations and distribution of playing time

First paragraph: I saw the writing on the wall. I wasn't going to beat out Jermaine Bishop for playing time, no matter who is the coach. I want to go some place where I can get minutes.

I took it to be that he was ticked about falling behind a walk-on - Hines. I don't blame him for that frustration. He was a flawed player, but still our best free throw shooter and led in steals and assists. Falling behind Bishop makes sense, but Crews continuing to stick with Hines for so long was another perplexing move. Hines provided a spark in a few games, but following the win at UMass in late January, look at how Hines' production fell the rest of the season. Crews should have gone back to Reynolds.

Anyone who knows even a little bit about basketball realized that Crews and the staff had no idea what they were doing the last 2 years. Reynolds didn't need to state the obvious.

And why the hell not?

Miles made a reasoned and smart statement: one most of us here agree with.

I don't care why he left. Why would you preach about taking the high road while you point and do the opposite

A coach should be able to tell a player why he is doing something. The Crews/Platt combo was clueless at Army and clueless here. Worst staff in the country by a significant margin. Crews will not coach again, lepore can take that as he likes. Nice to shoot spitballs from outside.

Like that he gave Ford the vote of confidence, i can understand him not wanting to spend his last two years of competitive basketball in a "rebuild"

I took it to be that he was ticked about falling behind a walk-on - Hines. I don't blame him for that frustration. He was a flawed player, but still our best free throw shooter and led in steals and assists. Falling behind Bishop makes sense, but Crews continuing to stick with Hines for so long was another perplexing move. Hines provided a spark in a few games, but following the win at UMass in late January, look at how Hines' production fell the rest of the season. Crews should have gone back to Reynolds.

Assist to turnover ratio is one of the measurements used to assess a point guard.

Hines: 2.19

Bartley 1.90

Reynolds 1.43

Bishop 1.38

Looks to me like Bartley would have a bigger beef than Reynolds on Hines minutes.

And Reynolds was not our best FT %. Bartley was #1 (94%), Bishop #2( 86%), Crawford #3 (80%) and then Reynolds #4 (78%). They were all good. Roby and Hines were also better than 70%.

Haha this discussion is dumb everyone knows Miles is right.

If I'm a college coach I go yeah "yeah he's right his old coach was an idiot, can't wait to use him way more effectively."

His comments aren't relevant if you're a smart coach because you'll literally never have anywhere near the incompetence of Jim crews.

Miles seems like a good and bright guy to me. This is one transfer we can be confident won't hurt our APR.

Hopefully Porter gives him a call. I could see him being quality depth for Loyola.

And yes with his family's resources he does not need a scholarship to go anywhere.

Agree. Hines shot less than 30% from the field, and in the last six games he dipped below 20%. Crews evidently decided Hines was going to play for the rest of the year no matter how terrible his offense got, which was one of the weirder moves of the season. Hard to blame any of the other guards who might have been frustrated by that. I still have to admit I was a little shocked Reynolds made that comment out loud to the P-D, though.