Miles Reynolds to leave SLU

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't know that CSU was closing. Right now Ford has 3 schollies if you count Hines and that is if no one else leaves. All schools are looking for players this Spring for 2016 so there will be lots of competition for players. To expect Ford - I do not care how good he is - to fill these with quality players is asking for a lot. Even when RM came he struggled to sign good players for his first season. He ended up with Cotto, the center from IL, and the Juco PF. How did that work out. Ford will have his hands full finding anyone who is better than what is leaving at this point. As I have said before he has to field a team next year so maybe wishing others would leave is not very wise at this point. He can go with 10 players and a couple of walk on for practice and get by. I would much rather he bank the schollies if he can not get long term decent players or 5th year transfers - they tend to want to go to programs who can win not where we are now.

CSU is not, strictly speaking, closing. The ongoing Illinois budget saga is about to cause it to run out of money. If and when those idiots (in Springfield) ever get their acts together, it'll be back and going strong. (Or whenever the lower- to middle-class students that it serves take up pitchforks and head south for a little "chat" with the legislature.)

If Ford is the recruiter that they are trying to sell him as, he should upgrade the roster even with spring guys. This shouldn't be Sodie or Crews results.

-I consider that a rather high bar, even for Ford

-if he can get quality kids to be on the court in November 2016, wonderful, but I am looking for a results to be on the court in November 2017

Didn't know that CSU was closing. Right now Ford has 3 schollies if you count Hines and that is if no one else leaves. All schools are looking for players this Spring for 2016 so there will be lots of competition for players. To expect Ford - I do not care how good he is - to fill these with quality players is asking for a lot. Even when RM came he struggled to sign good players for his first season. He ended up with Cotto, the center from IL, and the Juco PF. How did that work out. Ford will have his hands full finding anyone who is better than what is leaving at this point. As I have said before he has to field a team next year so maybe wishing others would leave is not very wise at this point. He can go with 10 players and a couple of walk on for practice and get by. I would much rather he bank the schollies if he can not get long term decent players or 5th year transfers - they tend to want to go to programs who can win not where we are now.

i agree. dont take players just for numbers. we can get by with 7 or 8 players. bank them and try to score over the summer with 2017 recruits. quality or at least get better than what leaves. my gosh we stick ourselves with the same or worse and the clock goes back another 2 years.

CSU is not, strictly speaking, closing. The ongoing Illinois budget saga is about to cause it to run out of money. If and when those idiots (in Springfield) ever get their acts together, it'll be back and going strong. (Or whenever the lower- to middle-class students that it serves take up pitchforks and head south for a little "chat" with the legislature.)

they are not idiots. selfish pricks would be a better description. this is all about power. madigan wants his daughter to be governor and he is banking the state will turn on rauner rather than himself and his daughter will beat him in the 18 election. rauner has no choice. the state is pretty much bankrupt. so he is trying to hold things down as much as possible. actually the best thing that i could see happening is cutting the state off at interstate 80 and creating a second state north of that line. let chicago try to exist without the south and our taxes.

they are not idiots. selfish pricks would be a better description. this is all about power. madigan wants his daughter to be governor and he is banking the state will turn on rauner rather than himself and his daughter will beat him in the 18 election. rauner has no choice. the state is pretty much bankrupt. so he is trying to hold things down as much as possible. actually the best thing that i could see happening is cutting the state off at interstate 80 and creating a second state north of that line. let chicago try to exist without the south and our taxes.

Kinda confused how this has anything to do with Reynolds transferring...

Good luck, Miles. I thought you gave it your all while you were here. As for Jolly, he was at that dinner w/Ford and probably knows he'd have a tough time finding a new school to take him. Unless Ford cuts the chord, he's staying.

B.B. King would not approve.

Actually, RickMa didn't bring in anyone that first season save preferred walk-on Paul Eckerle. Eberhardt (the JUCO 4) was a Soderberg recruit who came, anyway. Cotto and Thompson were in the following class along with John, Mitchell, Conklin, and Cassity.

-I consider that a rather high bar, even for Ford

-if he can get quality kids to be on the court in November 2016, wonderful, but I am looking for a results to be on the court in November 2017

I am not talking about him finding future all conference players. He should be able to land a couple guys that will eventually become contributors as the 3rd or 4th option on a upper half A10 team. That would be a roster upgrade. If Ford is the recruiter he is being touted as, he should at least be able to swing that.

You can't bank all the scholarships or you will end up having another roster balance issue.

I expect Ford to land a JUCO or Graduate transfer to compliment our current squad. I'm drinking the Kool-aid but I expect to compete next season.

Yeah, I was thinking that Ford might go the graduate transfer route to even out the classes a bit. With a few decent additions, improvement from returning players, and some coaching up, this team could be all right next season.

I'm disappointed to see Miles leave. I assume he's transferring downwards, like an Ivy or Horizon type school. I'm hoping that there's only one more to go. I'd rather Ford have a full recruiting cycle to work with instead of settling on Spring guys.

boy if education was truly one's concern hard to view Ivy as a step down if of course it's w/ scholarship

boy if education was truly one's concern hard to view Ivy as a step down if of course it's w/ scholarship

Not sure if you knew this but Ivy League schools don't give athletic scholarships and several of them do not give academic scholarships to undergrad students.

Reynolds with some interesting quotes. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/reynolds-leaving-slu-basketball-team/article_c4d998fd-4956-515f-88d1-53f50db992ce.html

“My mind was pretty much made up at that point, but I wanted to show him respect but let him know it was in my best interests to leave the program,” Reynolds said. “I know he’s going to do great things. He expressed his vision and that I should stay. My decision has nothing to do with coach Ford at all.”

“I wouldn’t call my time here a disappointment by any means,” he said. “I believe we could have done better had the coaching been more consistent and he stuck with a consistent group of guys. Inconsistency in minutes and player rotations never played into the players’ favor. It hurt the team a number of ways, but I tried not to let it affect me when I was out there. It was an honor to put on the SLU jersey.”

“I believe we could have done better had the coaching been more consistent and he stuck with a consistent group of guys. Inconsistency in minutes and player rotations never played into the players’ favor. It hurt the team a number of ways, but I tried not to let it affect me when I was out there. It was an honor to put on the SLU jersey.”

-player understood, not the coaches, sad, glad we are moving in a better direction, much better I hope