Ford and Assistants

3Bill

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance we could poach Jamal Walker from the Illini staff?

On the surface it would seem far fetched, but if we have a bunch of money to throw around at assistants which is believed to be the case and considering that Groce will enter next season on the hot seat, Walker may consider bolting. Not sure why any recruit would commit to Groce now with all the uncertainty surrounding his future.

How about Brian Gregory?... as an assistant. Had some recruiting success in the A-10 at Dayton. And more importantly, we could finally put to rest the phrase that has been haunting us for years... "Coulda had Gregory!" ;)

Might not be a bad idea to put Corey Frazier on the staff. Former Billiken player and very involved with the St. Louis Eagles.

I've never gotten a good read from Corey Frazier, comes across like an all around sketchy guy. I would leave him at Maplewood. You don't need a guy who has coached at a local program to build a good relationship with the local AAU and high school programs, some of these true local guys actually may not be that highly regarded locally beyond their little fiefdom.

How about Brian Gregory?... as an assistant. Had some recruiting success in the A-10 at Dayton. And more importantly, we could finally put to rest the phrase that has been haunting us for years... "Coulda had Gregory!" ;)

Gregory > Platt

Heard a rumor that says Ford may be keeping CC. Apparently CC has a couple boys in middle school or just starting h.s. who are suppose to be very good players. Of course no assurances that the kids will come - 4 years is a long way off.

-I believe he has one son that is a frosh at MICDS, I don't recall hearing the kid's name during the season

You would think that there would be one holdover from the prior staff - Majerus kept Angres Thorpe for his first season.

RM did not keep Thorpe - Biondi promised Thorpe a job for the year if he stayed and kept the ship afloat until RM was signed. Remember it dragged on for weeks. Once the year was over, RM let him go.

Heard a rumor that says Ford may be keeping CC. Apparently CC has a couple boys in middle school or just starting h.s. who are suppose to be very good players. Of course no assurances that the kids will come - 4 years is a long way off.

Keep in mind that Ford and Cheaney's college careers were at the same time. Also throw in that Ford was from western Kentucky and Cheaney was from southern Indiana, so it's very possible that they've known each other for 25+ years. Of anyone to stay from the previous staff, Cheaney might make the most sense.

Wouldn't mind seeing him keep Calbert. The NBA and Indiana connections really should be a plus, although, I can't recall any one that he recruited during his two years. Calbert seemed very detached and not very enthusiastic during games. Now that may just be due to the fact he was infected with the Crews flu like everyone else connected to those teams. Maybe Ford's enthusiasm is infectious and gets him revitalized.

As for his two sons, if they turn out to be 5 star studs and Calbert does stay, he'll be looking for HC opps as he's got some strong bargaining chips.

It's also been reported here that the Legend's got a son who's pretty good. What class is he in? With the Legend getting closer to the program, one would hope he'd keep him home.

I'd continue my disappointment if Cheaney is retained. Outside of providing seemingly nothing the past two years, he last put on an NBA uniform when current recruits were barely out of diapers. His college career was a decade before they were born. If SLU were going to play the hire the dad game, they should have done it two years ago.

It's also been reported here that the Legend's got a son who's pretty good. What class is he in? With the Legend getting closer to the program, one would hope he'd keep him home.

Larry Hughes Jr, class of 2022. Some clips on youtube already of him playing.