Contract for Coach Ford

Schasz

One thing that I will be interested in seeing the contract length and money Coach Ford will receive from SLU. I would guess the length will be 5 years. According to what I have read on the internet he was making over $2M at OSU. Did not see any buyout number. It was at least rumored that SLU was willing to go as high as $2M for the right HC. Will be interesting to see what that starting compensation will be for our new HC.

If Ford was/is even hired. Which as of this second appears to not be the case. Apparently the terms of his buyout included that anything he is paid at his next job less than $2mil will be covered by OSU. Could potentially be a much lower cost hire than we expected at least initially.

If Ford was/is even hired. Which as of this second appears to not be the case. Apparently the terms of his buyout included that anything he is paid at his next job less than $2mil will be covered by OSU. Could potentially be a much lower cost hire than we expected at least initially.

If this is the case (and given SLU's current financial situation), this may not be a horrible deal. I mean, could we pay him $100 and see how it goes?

If this is the case (and given SLU's current financial situation), this may not be a horrible deal. I mean, could we pay him $100 and see how it goes?

seriously and funnel that other $900,000 to the political science department. Poli Sci trip to DC or the UN in honor of Leguex-Felleiux

seriously and funnel that other $900,000 to the political science department. Poli Sci trip to DC or the UN in honor of Leguex-Felleiux

I second that emotion. Dr. J-R-L-F was one of the best professors I had at SLU. Him and Dr. Lomperis were my guys. Bomble and I had a couple of classes with him circa 2002.

Cusumano had on a reporter from Okie who speculated that because of that, there is a good opportunity to pay Ford a low salary initially, while taking those resources into attracting a great group of assistants... so Thorpe, Platt and Grunkermeyer? The dream team!

Cusumano had on a reporter from Okie who speculated that because of that, there is a good opportunity to pay Ford a low salary initially, while taking those resources into attracting a great group of assistants... so Thorpe, Platt and Grunkermeyer? The dream team!

I will say that while it didn't work for Ford at OSU, he had a pretty solid staff.

• 4 weeks later...

The settlement from TFord's contract has been approved. Details below per the Tulsa World.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/oklahoma-state-coach-brad-underwood-s-contract-former-coach-travis/article_a615c136-3430-50f8-b453-862fde31006d.html

Ford will be paid $3.9 million in a lump sum by May 23, per the settlement agreement. He also received compensation for the month of March 2016 and $35,962.08 in accrued unused vacation time.

Ford's contract, which was guaranteed, led to some concern that changing men's basketball coaches would be an expensive endeavor.

This settlement agreement saves Oklahoma State $3.9 million compared to what OSU would have owed Ford if it fired him under the terms of his contract. In addition to the $7.2 million for the final three seasons, Ford was still owed $600,000 for the final three months of his 2015-16 contract year.

The coaching change will cause an increased cost in this first season, with Ford receiving the lump sum.

But even that could be buffered by increased attendance at Gallagher-Iba Arena.

“If we can get some more people in the seats, it will help defer a lot of that,” OSU President Burns Hargis said on Friday outside the meeting. “Travis, I think a lot of Travis and I’m glad he found a good position for him. But we think Brad kind of comes from the DNA strain from Henry Iba and everyone’s excited about that.”

Ford was hired as head coach at Saint Louis at the end of March.

Simple math would say he's making 1.1 a year for the first 3 years at least. Or that's the AAV of the all 5 years. Of course the settlement could have been a bit less in cost for OkState for the up front payout.