Prediction threads

Taj79

These are my two cents worth, probably worth less than 2 cents but I want to say this. Statistics and prior results are OK when you are dealing with returning players that have played a significant amount of time. Otherwise what you have is largely a blank screen. I think we have a superbly talented team, even if they are not experienced, and expect them to be able to do better than the numbers and statistics from the prior season (s) indicate. How much better I do not know, but I would not be surprised if they do very well indeed.

Do not doubt this team. They will surprise all the doubters. There is more offensive firepower on this team this year than last. Defense is where the work will be!

Yeah, right, I guess Dwayne Evans and Jordair Jett were "defensive

I believe JJ was named twice to the A10 all defensive team. It was only last year he really exploded as an offensive threat.

Agree w/ Old Guy that we are a blank canvas at this point. Agreed on paper this team appears to have a lot of potential, but until that's turned into Ws that's all it is... Potential.

I like what I've seen from MY as a project, and I've also heard many good things about him, enough to say that in 2 years we may really have something. But I seriously doubt if MY will help much this year. I think he will benefit from some experience, conditioning, and lifting, and like a couple of the guards, is growing into his body right now. I may be wrong, since we are all wondering about scoring, and they say he has potential as a D-1 scorer. Anyway I think we have some other guys ahead of him at the forward position, who can also score. (in particular the sophomores)

As I mentioned, I think I like Jolly's chances first for a big, then Roby first as a perimeter guy, in terms of minutes and points right away. Physically they just look most ready. I believe at first a lot of the freshmen will get at least a few minutes, but by January the rotation will get pretty set, and it will start with the 7 returning guys we know will get minutes (barring injury, given the Bradford debacle!). I just don't see Crews going much beyond a 9-man or maybe 10-man rotation.

Do not doubt this team. They will surprise all the doubters. There is more offensive firepower on this team this year than last. Defense is where the work will be!

Actually I do not find this hard to believe - it won't take that much to have a better outside shooting team than last year. Now will this result in many wins who knows. You are right though that unless we play good D we probably are not going to out score all of our opponents.

Good info Dr B, thanks...as far as the guards are concerned, I take it that by January this would mean McBroom/Roby play the 1...Ash//Crawford/Roby at the 2...with Crawford also playing the 3--correct?

No way that Roby is ever a ball handling 1. He's a lot closer to a 3 than a 1. Based on my observation the Illinois guards are fighting it out to see who backs up McBroom.

Bartley would be a 6'4" point guard as well if he sees minutes at the 1. That would be weird to see on a SLU team.

Great length for his position. Hopefully he has been bulking up in the offseason.