New Billikens basketball nonconference rivalry

Missouri State would be a huge mistake, but it would be very hypocritical to not play them and complain Mizzou (another program that is weaker than SLU) isn't playing us.

We played MO St for 20 years and they beat us more often than not. They backed out of games with us and broke the contract. Unless they have a new AD I see no reason why we would even consider renewing the series. None of this has anything to do with Mi$$ou, they won't play southwest springfield tech either.

We played MO St for 20 years and they beat us more often than not. They backed out of games with us and broke the contract. Unless they have a new AD I see no reason why we would even consider renewing the series. None of this has anything to do with Mi$$ou, they won't play southwest springfield tech either.

What it has to do with Boone County Correctional is that if we won't play Suckwest....how do we have right to complain that the reform school in Columbia won't play us if we refuse to play Suckwest?

What it has to do with Boone County Correctional is that if we won't play Suckwest....how do we have right to complain that the reform school in Columbia won't play us if we refuse to play Suckwest?

The folks in Boone county will simply find another reason not to play us. Remember when they used to argue that our rpi wasn't good enough as the primary reason? The story always changes and I long ago stopped worrying about whether that series will ever resume. You can't change chicken.

I'm fine playing Missouri st. At some point we have to move on from past scheduling issues. My biggest beef is that if you look at our history with them it seems like we never play them in the years we are good and they suck but somehow they are always on the schedule when they are good and we are having down periods. Hence their strong record against us over the years. This next series better reverse that trend...

The folks in Boone county will simply find another reason not to play us. Remember when they used to argue that our rpi wasn't good enough as the primary reason? The story always changes and I long ago stopped worrying about whether that series will ever resume. You can't change chicken.

I'm fine playing Missouri st. At some point we have to move on from past scheduling issues. My biggest beef is that if you look at our history with them it seems like we never play them in the years we are good and they suck but somehow they are always on the schedule when they are good and we are having down periods. Hence their strong record against us over the years. This next series better reverse that trend...

The incredible moving goalposts.

I don't like it at all. They screwed us over before now we go running back to them? They aren't even a good program.

-not sure we are running back to them but I share the sentiment of not liking it

-but we have issues scheduling so after some period I can see where we would resume playing them

-let's be sure school is in session when/if we play

That is the trend because that is exactly what happens and why Majerus cut off the series. We have proven over a period of time that we will play them whenever, wherever, no matter what our team is comprised of. Suckwest will break contracts if they have a young or inexperienced team, and will only play us if they have a lot of returning upperclassmen and look to finish in the top half of their league. They are just as bad as Mi$$ou. They should be shamed publicly for their scheduling practices and never be allowed to play in STL, save for their rinky dink conference tournament, again.

It's almost a four hour drive from StL to Springfield. There are lots of closer D1 schools. I am all for the regional rivalries (I would even take UMKC over NCA&T or USCUpstate), but this seems like another case of prioritizing in-state-ness over actual proximity. That seems like a mistake to me.

That is the trend because that is exactly what happens and why Majerus cut off the series. We have proven over a period of time that we will play them whenever, wherever, no matter what our team is comprised of. Suckwest will break contracts if they have a young or inexperienced team, and will only play us if they have a lot of returning upperclassmen and look to finish in the top half of their league. They are just as bad as Mi$$ou. They should be shamed publicly for their scheduling practices and never be allowed to play in STL, save for their rinky dink conference tournament, again.

And I have nothing to base this on but my aging memory, but it sure seems like the dates also work out in SMS' favor. They always seem to only be available over the Christmas holidays when our students/band are gone and when all of their students (many of whom are from St. Louis) are in town for the holidays. That one year, of course, they were only available to come to SLU over our Christmas break, KM missed only one (1) game that whole year and it was against SMS, CE had yet to be cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse, all of our students were gone for the holidays, all of the SMS students were in town for the holidays and then our Chaifetz staff allowed their students to take over our vacant student section -- this, of course, was our home court "advantage"!! In essence, it doesn't feel like a real home game and certainly is not the home court advantage it could be. In contrast, we always seem to play games at their place when their students, faculty and the like are back at school, their arena is packed and our chances of a win become much tougher. Frankly, I don't trust. They need to play us more (helps their recruiting of both players and students and rewards their alums) than we need to play them.

Things should be fair both ways. IMO, we should only agree to a home and home if they will come to town during the school season.

The last time we played @Missouri State they were on Christmas break as well, fwiw. The situation involving them invading our student section was embarrassing but we have no one to blame but ourselves for that. Why weren't all of our students from St. Louis at the game?

The year Kwamain had the eye injury was unfortunate and we likely would've won if he wouldn't have been hurt. The next year we could've had a great squad and won but the situation happened

While strolling down memory lane, don't forget that it was IV's tip in about 0.1 secs after the final buzzer that gave us the win and likely cost them an NCAA tourney bid. They have reasons to dislike us too. It's what makes for a potentially good rivalry and we need more rivalries.