Open Practices Thread

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will let others chime in (there were a few posters there). But one thing that continually impresses me about the Crews era is that players and coaches always seem to stay after to thank people for coming out to events. Players did a night job of this at the banquet last year, and they did it again this afternoon. Nice touch.

Neufeld looked pretty damn good I thought for the first time seeing him. He was easily our most physically imposing guy down low and it looked like he had some good touch around the rim. Jumper needs some work.

What concerned me was that excuse a few players (Neufeld, Roby, Milik, Ash) we looked awfully small and thin. Who's training these guys? Jolly and Gillman looked like they lost weight, Reynolds is still a noodle, and the two new guards Hines and Bishop are maybe scraping 6 foot 170?? Idk we looked awfully small and I just imagined how we could ever physically match up with the likes of VCU, URI, etc..

Regarding Bartley, he said that it was a bone spur in his right heel (I think that is correct). He apparently played with it towards the end of last season, and the goal is to have him back on the floor more full time by the fall semester.

Neufeld looked pretty damn good I thought for the first time seeing him. He was easily our most physically imposing guy down low and it looked like he had some good touch around the rim. Jumper needs some work.

What concerned me was that excuse a few players (Neufeld, Roby, Milik, Ash) we looked awfully small and thin. Who's training these guys? Jolly and Gillman looked like they lost weight, Reynolds is still a noodle, and the two new guards Hines and Bishop are maybe scraping 6 foot 170?? Idk we looked awfully small and I just imagined how we could ever physically match up with the likes of VCU, URI, etc..

Didn't Crawford just win the Presidential physical fitness award?

Not much stood out. Hines made some shots. We played good defense. Set a lot of traps. Shooting was not good.

Neufeld doesn't look like a stiff. Welmer was a little better than I expected. Bishop was worse.

+100 wouldn't mind him turning in the jersey and never stepping foot in chaiftez again.. Jimmy made him run today for "not listening" too

Let's watch it some or SLU may be less generous opening practices...

Let's watch it some or SLU may be less generous opening practices...

On that note, is this site still technically not affiliated with Saint Louis University when the owner is a member of the university's faculty? (Just kidding — mostly. It might be better amended to "not affiliated with Saint Louis University athletics" :))

Bishop and Neufeld (and Welmer as well) are raw freshmen who have never played D1 in their lives, of course they can look raw. It is nice that you think Neufeld does not look like a stiff.

I'll make some more conclusions after I see all the practices. We saw them for two hours. Foolish to make total assumptions after one practice.

Neufeld looked like an athlete. Definetley not running through quicksand like some recent bigs we have had. Welmer handled the ball a little, didn't look out of sorts and was taller than I thought. Bishop appeared lower on the depth chart than Hines. It is just one practice though.

On that note, is this site still technically not affiliated with Saint Louis University when the owner is a member of the university's faculty? (Just kidding — mostly. It might be better amended to "not affiliated with Saint Louis University athletics" :))

Billikens.com is owned by SignGuy's Sites LLC ;)

If there were some test NCAA compliance people had to take, and my story with SLU was on the test. I bet everyone taking the test would think it was a trick question.

It's interesting that a number of us can watch the exact same thing and yet see things differently. It's really not fair to be too critical of the freshman who are brand spanking new and are still weeks away from even the first day of the Fall semester.

My observations:

- Bishop may seem small compared to some of the guys on the team, but he is not sub 6'. I would say he is about 6' or a fraction taller. Bishop was fast and on this day - faster than Reynolds. I would agree that Bishop didn't look great in the full court, but in some of the half court sets I actually thought he did okay. He's still learning the system and it shows. No biggie. WAY too early to tell.

- Welmer actually ran the floor well and his wingspan was bigger than I thought. Too early to tell on him or provide any real good info. I spoke with Welmer after and he is a very personable kid and was very genuine and even made fun of how he was just learning things and everything is new including the increase in intensity.

- Ash is just a beast. I spoke with him as well and he is a freak. It's very misleading when you see him from the stands, but when you speak with him up close he really is a well built guy. He may be as good of an athlete as we have seen at SLU in many years. Will it convert to the court this year? Who knows. I got to think he will be even better.

- Spoke with Reggie. He is feeling better and thinks he will be in a limited role in the Bahamas, but is optimistic that he will get some minutes. He said it is up to the coaches though.

- Bartley told me the coaches were shutting him down for the Bahamas so while he is progressing, he didn't practice at all.

- Aaron Hines actually looked decent. The people around me all said something about him. I don't expect anything to come of it, but he had a decent showing for a walk on.

- Neufeld will be fine. I think he is a great recruit and will contribute all four years. I don't expect him to set the world on fire this year, but I think we'll all like him.

- Jolly - I hate to say it, but he may be 4th out of Neufeld, Welmer, and Gillmann. He gets frustrated very easy.

- Gillmann has gained weight. It's really hard to tell on 6'11" guy. You spread 10-15 pounds over a 7' guy and you really aren't going to see drastic differences. From speaking to him up close, he has gotten bigger.

- I think Crawford scored the most if you look at all the drills. He has the nicest touch in my opinion as well.

- MY and DR were about what I expected. They will be improved, but no way of knowing how much at this point. Still way early.

- 3% shooting was off for the whole team

- I think we looked smarter in some of the defensive drills. Hard to tell with such a small sample size though.

I like that they put Gillmann and Neufeld on the floor together. Who played the "4" in that group? Did Milik ever play the 4, or was he only used at the 3?

Milik played with the wings. When Jolly had to run laps he asked Coach Cheaney if he had to take over as a big. He did. I think that was the only time he played against the post players.

One thing by far our 4 best players all play the same position. In scrimmage Crawford goes up against Yarbrough & Roby against Ash. They are all swingmen. Probably all of them are best playing the 3rd wing spot. Its hard on a team when all your best players play the same spot. We will be hard pressed to play all 3 of them on the court at once, much less all 4.