Offseason Injuries

Maybe it stands for "personal record."

I'm pretty sure it stands for Puerto Rican. They are warming up for the big matchup with the Carleton of Bahamas, PJ Stinger. Its too hard to get real Bahamanians into the country, but Puerto Ricans are much easier because of the whole US Territory thing. Its somewhat like when the sushi places try to pass off a Mexican as an Asian.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New article by Stu. Didn't want to start a new thread as most of what is in the article was mentioned in this thread.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slu-basketball-team-gets-busy-early/article_7c867c2c-bdb0-57f4-b631-104927e5c64c.html

Crews will be in Vegas this weekend. I believe Curry will be in Vegas but not sure what other of our interests he will be there to watch.

During conference play Reggie had the second best win share per 40 minutes on the team, the third best defensive rating and the third best offensive rating. If you think the Billikens are going to be significantly better this coming season you better hope Reggie is 100% healthy and has made big strides as a player.

New article by Stu. Didn't want to start a new thread as most of what is in the article was mentioned in this thread.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slu-basketball-team-gets-busy-early/article_7c867c2c-bdb0-57f4-b631-104927e5c64c.html

Crews will be in Vegas this weekend. I believe Curry will be in Vegas but not sure what other of our interests he will be there to watch.

-nice to get an article in July

I assume (pray?) this is just coachspeak considering our offense was ranked 317 out of 351 this season.

"For those who will play, there are plenty of things on which to work after the Billikens went 11-21 and 3-15 in the Atlantic 10. Most of what Crews mentioned, however, is not related to the offense.
“We have a laundry list,” Crews said, describing what needs work. “From a defensive standpoint, it’s defensive transition. We had problems with that for various reasons. We want to play aggressively and get to spots and do that without fouling and be able to get the first rebound with more of a collective effort.”"

During conference play Reggie had the second best win share per 40 minutes on the team, the third best defensive rating and the third best offensive rating. If you think the Billikens are going to be significantly better this coming season you better hope Reggie is 100% healthy and has made big strides as a player.

We have all seen a flash of better play from lots of players in the past and it does not always have staying power. I hope RA is healthy and shows improvement for the entire season. However, to say that he showed such significant improvement at the end that he will now be a starter, playing 25-30 minutes, scoring in double or high single digits, not foul as much, and play tough defense the entire time based on what he showed at the end is a stretch. Like I said, I hope you and others are right. Yes, I know you did not say all this but others are implying it.

I can see RA starting at the 4 getting 24 minutes with Jolly and Welmer spelling him with 8 minutes a piece.

Really? Where will Malik play? And if your answer is that Malik will play the 3, then which guards will sit? And who will play the 5 during the 19 minutes when Jolly and Welmer are playing the 4?

Now, I sure would like to Malik get the chance to play the 3 and see what he can do. At the same time, we need production from the 4 spot and I just don't see it with Reggie, Jolly and Welmer. Now, a combination of Reggie and Malik at the 4 sounds better to me. I liked Malik posting up at the FT line and floating along the lane (just like Calbert Cheney used to do) as opposed to playing on the perimeter. All modern players (like Malik) want to dribble and shoot 3 pointers but that doesn't mean they should play a guard position.

And compared to last year, I also hope we find consistency. Not that I don't want to make good and deserving players to sit the bench, but we will need 5 to 9 guys step up and demonstrate they are better options than the others thereby giving Jim Crews no choice but to make these remaining guys sit the bench. That did not happen last year -- and we therefore played nearly everyone most games.

My sources tell me RA's injury while he pummeled a centaur. RA is a gotdamn werewolf. Bartley is a gotdamn sniper. They will put the women and children to bed and go look for f'ing dinner this year.

It's the offseason. Now is the time for Billiken colored glasses and talk of our impending Elite 8 run. Can we wait until we actually play poorly to complain about how bad we are?

We're winning the A-10. We're making the Elite 8. Jim Crews is going to kick my a$$ along with about 63 others on this board for doubting him and/or the players. Let's get our sh!t together as fans. Jesus, this board is depressing.

Really? Where will Malik play? And if your answer is that Malik will play the 3, then which guards will sit? And who will play the 5 during the 19 minutes when Jolly and Welmer are playing the 4?

Now, I sure would like to Malik get the chance to play the 3 and see what he can do. At the same time, we need production from the 4 spot and I just don't see it with Reggie, Jolly and Welmer. Now, a combination of Reggie and Malik at the 4 sounds better to me. I liked Malik posting up at the FT line and floating along the lane (just like Calbert Cheney used to do) as opposed to playing on the perimeter. All modern players (like Malik) want to dribble and shoot 3 pointers but that doesn't mean they should play a guard position.

And compared to last year, I also hope we find consistency. Not that I don't want to make good and deserving players to sit the bench, but we will need 5 to 9 guys step up and demonstrate they are better options than the others thereby giving Jim Crews no choice but to make these remaining guys sit the bench. That did not happen last year -- and we therefore played nearly everyone most games.

AG and Nuefeld man the 5. Milik did say he would be playing more 3 this year and should be able to with his recent conditioning. Let the guards battle it out for 5 spots. Just the the way I would like to see it.

My sources tell me RA's injury while he pummeled a centaur. RA is a gotdamn werewolf. Bartley is a gotdamn sniper. They will put the women and children to bed and go look for f'ing dinner this year.

It's the offseason. Now is the time for Billiken colored glasses and talk of our impending Elite 8 run. Can we wait until we actually play poorly to complain about how bad we are?

We're winning the A-10. We're making the Elite 8. Jim Crews is going to kick my a$$ along with about 63 others on this board for doubting him and/or the players. Let's get our **** together as fans. Jesus, this board is depressing.

We're going to be a competitive team, though still very young. We need to step our defense big time. We don't have to be a top 20 team defensively, but we need to be a Top 75 team.

We return our top scorers and top 3 rebounders. We will be without the drama of McBroom and Glaze and without the negativity of Lancona.

We should have a serviceable 5 in Neufeld who should provide some rebounding help.

RA has awesome footwork and is a beast of a rebounder. He struggles with his touch around the basket, but if he cleans that up and stays healthy he will be a good contributor.

Crawford will be healthy from day one. Ash, if he plays to his ability and can get his three point shot back and convert on his drives, will be a very special player.

Bartley and AG with their added weight and a year under their belt, should both show noticeable improvement.

I expect at least 18 wins and will be happy with that.

Is that better, Moy?

We're winning the A-10. We're making the Elite 8. Jim Crews is going to kick my a$$ along with about 63 others on this board for doubting him and/or the players. Let's get our **** together as fans. Jesus, this board is depressing.

I agree with the last sentence, though the effort is appreciated

Updates from someone who has seen the team this summer.

- "The guys look bigger and better, but I'd expect the message board to overstate everyone (after open practices). I've watched a dozen "practices" from start to finish this summer and it's just so far behind what you saw two or three years ago."

- "Two guys stay late every day. Mike and Davell. Davell works on his PG skills and Mike defends him. Those two are the team captains and most dedicated. They find one thing every day to get better at. Both have serious limitations as players though. The rest of the guys stay late when a coach keeps them late."

- "Reggie is always hurt."

-"Gillmann is bigger but Jolly can still muscle him off the block"

- "Reynolds comes to the gym and gets shots up very often but they just don't go in"

- "Ash can blow by any defender on our team. Not sure how that will translate to the court against real post defenders,"

- "Bishop has surprised me. He may be better than Reynolds and Bartley. Or I'm overstating him just because I figured he'd be terrible"

- "Welmer can stroke it from deep and isn't afraid to get a rebound but he's got Gillmann strength or less."

-"Neufeld is more athletic than most white bigs we see. He has a feel for the game too. Just not sure he's as skilled as some think"

Updates from someone who has seen the team this summer.

- "The guys look bigger and better, but I'd expect the message board to overstate everyone (after open practices). I've watched a dozen "practices" from start to finish this summer and it's just so far behind what you saw two or three years ago."

- "Two guys stay late every day. Mike and Davell. Davell works on his PG skills and Mike defends him. Those two are the team captains and most dedicated. They find one thing every day to get better at. Both have serious limitations as players though. The rest of the guys stay late when a coach keeps them late."

- "Reggie is always hurt."

-"Gillmann is bigger but Jolly can still muscle him off the block"

- "Reynolds comes to the gym and gets shots up very often but they just don't go in"

- "Ash can blow by any defender on our team. Not sure how that will translate to the court against real post defenders,"

- "Bishop has surprised me. He may be better than Reynolds and Bartley. Or I'm overstating him just because I figured he'd be terrible"

- "Welmer can stroke it from deep and isn't afraid to get a rebound but he's got Gillmann strength or less."

-"Neufeld is more athletic than most white bigs we see. He has a feel for the game too. Just not sure he's as skilled as some think"

Thanks for the update. The real question, of course, is not how this team is compared to the teams from 2 and 3 years ago but compared to last year's team. What are your thoughts on that?

Personally, I am hopeful things will be better than last year based upon 1) incremental improvement of most players, 2) addition by subtraction without the knuckleheads and 3) we might actually have a post presence and be able to play 5 against 5!!