What a difference a year makes

ACE

I wish that JT came along a year earlier. We'll never know if things would have turned out differently, but I think we would have been in a better position to make a strong case. Last summer, Duke's one and done Jabari Parker had gone one and done in the NCAA Tourney by losing to Mercer. We had just completed a season in which we cracked the Top 10 and had an NCAA Tourney victory for the 3rd consecutive year - something Duke had not done. Still not saying our history could match Duke's, but the recent past looked a lot closer than it did this summer - where Duke's one and done Okafor just led them to the national title, while we were coming off an absolutely crappy season.

A year earlier it still would have been a bit of a David v. Goliath situation, but not to the extent it was this summer. We could have been positioned better as a program that was a budding Gonzaga, while Duke was looking more like a program that had lost it's magic a bit - when just two years earlier another one and done in Austin Rivers also lost in the 1st round of the Tourney.

I think Tatum's interest in SLU was genuine and not just charitable, but IMO the timing still would have needed to be just right to pull off the upset. I can only imagine how many people both locally and nationally were in his ear telling him that he needed to go to the "big time."

I wish that JT came along a year earlier. We'll never know if things would have turned out differently, but I think we would have been in a better position to make a strong case. Last summer, Duke's one and done Jabari Parker had gone one and done in the NCAA Tourney by losing to Mercer. We had just completed a season in which we cracked the Top 10 and had an NCAA Tourney victory for the 3rd consecutive year - something Duke had not done. Still not saying our history could match Duke's, but the recent past looked a lot closer than it did this summer - where Duke's one and done Okafor just led them to the national title, while we were coming off an absolutely crappy season.

A year earlier it still would have been a bit of a David v. Goliath situation, but not to the extent it was this summer. We could have been positioned better as a program that was a budding Gonzaga, while Duke was looking more like a program that had lost it's magic a bit - when just two years earlier another one and done in Austin Rivers also lost in the 1st round of the Tourney.

I think Tatum's interest in SLU was genuine and not just charitable, but IMO the timing still would have needed to be just right to pull off the upset. I can only imagine how many people both locally and nationally were in his ear telling him that he needed to go to the "big time."

ACE -- your summation is spot-on.

Also, do we have a legitimate gripe with the NBA here? Think about all the resources SLU pooled together and exhausted in the recruitment of Jayson Tatum. If the No-Jumping-From-HS Rules were lifted and Tatum decided to turn pro, we wouldn't have even lifted a finger trying to get him to stay and enroll at the University.

I think Tatum's interest in SLU was hot in the sense that he loves the city, would get to play at home, has a relationship with some of our players, etc. However, when it comes to picking Coach K over Crews and the chance to play for a national championship, I don't think we were in serious consideration and JT probably realized that more and more.

I am over him not coming here. I just wish we could step up recruiting and find some higher level recruits - the kind that make a difference but are also here all 4 years. I actually am okay with SLU's effort to get Tatum, so in one sense they showed me they are capable of putting out a high level recruiting effort. Maybe they can use those efforts now to land some good recruits.

ACE -- your summation is spot-on.

Also, do we have a legitimate gripe with the NBA here? Think about all the resources SLU pooled together and exhausted in the recruitment of Jayson Tatum. If the No-Jumping-From-HS Rules were lifted and Tatum decided to turn pro, we wouldn't have even lifted a finger trying to get him to stay and enroll at the University.

Good point. However, I think you have to get good at turning up the heat on numerous players and recruit numerous kids with that same level of effort. I don't think there's only enough effort for one kid. Some of the top schools that recruit consistently at high levels seem to find ways to put in big efforts for multiple kids.

I think we have a unique situation but right now the path I think we're closest to going down is SIUC. They had a great stretch that was even better that ours, but they faded fast. Lowery did work with Weber/Painter's players and his first recruiting class or so and then he showed what kind of coach he really was and SIUC didn't give up on him fast enough.

I think we have a unique situation but right now the path I think we're closest to going down is SIUC. They had a great stretch that was even better that ours, but they faded fast. Lowery did work with Weber/Painter's players and his first recruiting class or so and then he showed what kind of coach he really was and SIUC didn't give up on him fast enough.

Well that's depressing.

crying-gif-24.gif

SIUC fell that far because they have Lowery a much too long and pricey deal. Then they couldn't stand to swallow buying him out.

Hopefully SLU doesn't let a contract stand in the way of making needed changes if it comes to that after this season.

It's all on the athletic department. They're the ones that find the right coach and build the right program. Our AD has completely failed if we have another terrible season this year....

I've known Ishmael's mom for about 40 years. She posts links to pretty much all of his columns on Facebook. He writes as well (or better) than almost any local sportswriter I can name.

That column is better written than most MBM posts, but it's awfully similar to any number of things posted out here both before and after NLFBJT's decision.

As for Crews, his fate now is no different than the coaches at any mid-level program with expectations for success. Under .500 he's outa here instantly. Less than 18 wins and I think Chris May and Dr. C. are going to have some serious discussions.

For the record, I also think Crews is a very honorable guy. If he doesn't perform this year, I bet he resigns.