Willie Reed in Summer League

I have not been watching, but I like to look at the stat line of rookies in the summer league every few years, and, low and behold, Willie Reed is playing for the Miami Heat. The last time I saw him in summer league was with the Grizzlies, and his minutes and stat line were basically average. Right now, he might be among the top two or three big men in scoring-percentage/rebounds average. He is shooting 60%, while putting up decent points. Considering he hung with the Grizzlies in a crowded front court until the start of the season last year, I think this stat line could help him get picked up by someone next year as a backup. Here's hoping. He certainly has the talent.

Wait, well, signed with the Nets for one year $500k. Is that guaranteed money?

Yes, that money is guaranteed. He should be able to carve out a decent role for himself in New Jersey. They lack depth at the power forward and center positions. He most likely will be able to provide minutes at the 4, but if he can make it at the 5 he could stick around for a while I would guess.

Yes, that money is guaranteed. He should be able to carve out a decent role for himself in New Jersey. They lack depth at the power forward and center positions. He most likely will be able to provide minutes at the 4, but if he can make it at the 5 he could stick around for a while I would guess.

(the nets are in brooklyn now)

So despite his signing with the Nets, he's playing with the Heat's summer league team? I guess I don't understand how the summer league works.

He just signed with the Nets while playing for the Heat. After he signed he was done with the Heat. It is like nfl practice squad rules for invitees to summer league that aren't on guaranteed deals.

• 2 months later...

Kid can't catch a break. From CBS sports:

"Nets point forward Willie Reed (right quadriceps strain) made his preseason debut Wednesday against the Celtics. He played five minutes and went 0 for 2 from the field.

Reed likely doesn't have much guaranteed money attached to the one-year deal he signed with the Nets prior to training camp, so the fact he missed the team's first three preseason games due to injury may be the death blow to his hopes of winning a roster spot. Coach Lionel Hollins figures to hand Reed more minutes in the exhibitions to come in an effort to see what the forward can do, but he'll really need to fill up the stat sheet in order to make a compelling case to stick with the Nets."

• 2 weeks later...

Reed made the team because he's hurt. They can't cut him and not pay him

That's BS and makes no sense. Could they cut him and not pay him if he wasn't injured?

Willie was given a guaranteed contract before he was injured. The Nets always planned to have Reed on the final roster.

Willie Reed is proud to have been a Billiken even though he was somewhat screwed over. It's sad that some here continue to denigrate and mock him.

That's BS and makes no sense. Could they cut him and not pay him if he wasn't injured?

Willie was given a guaranteed contract before he was injured. The Nets always planned to have Reed on the final roster.

Willie Reed is proud to have been a Billiken even though he was somewhat screwed over. It's sad that some here continue to denigrate and mock him.

Willie has a partially guaranteed contract of 500k. The Nets would pay him that no matter what.

Willie's contract also had an injury clause where if he was hurt while playing for the Nets and no longer played this season he would recieve the veterans minimum of almost 1.2 mil.

So they say they cut him while he was hurt and he didn't make another roster. The Nets would be on the hook for that 1.2 not only in actual cash but it also applies against the salary cap.

The Nets currently have 1.5 million under the cap. If they had cut Reed and signed say Dahntay Jones or Harper, who had a better camp than Reed, they would end up being about a million over the cap. Not doable for the Nets right now.

So yes Reed's injury bought him some time. If he hadn't gotten hurt cutting him would have resulted in much less of a cap hit and they would have signed another player. They were forced to keep him now, and barring them making a salary dump trade he is probably on the roster for the year.

Congrats Willie!!!