This is what happens when...

"Had Crews been replaced mid season last year with an interim and a hot new coach hired this offseason (quickly) Tatum could have been here." - mrjoelabs

"This is what happens when you don't fire a horrible coach when you should have." - mrjoelabs

I will try to be nice. Do you not think that Tatum would have chosen Coach K over anyone else you could name as coach "interim?" No coach would have impressed Tatum over Coach K...none. You call Coach Crews horrible. I believe you base this upon last year's performance. Were you calling for his head the year before that?

I have turned over a new leaf. I am willing to listen. Please give me some new information that would help me understand why you think Crews is so bad. Base your analysis on something other than a win loss record on a freshman team, such as coaching principles, recruiting tactics, or team building.

He didn't get Tatum. Neither did Kentucky. From what I've seen, he tried hard. Some are saying he shouldn't have wasted his time. What would the board say if he never tried. Tatum expressed interest in SLU. He chose Duke instead. We were closer than most thought we could be.

In my opinion, this next year should show improvement. If we get worse, then there is cause for worry.

It is disappointing that we didn't get Tatum. The last year was tough. I just don't see it as the end of the world.

Do you not think that Tatum would have chosen Coach K over anyone else you could name as coach "interim?"

No. If Justin Tatum were named "interim" coach, Jayson is likely to pick the Billikens.

A Justin Tatum coached Billikens' team with Jayson Tatum, is far better than a Jim Crews coached Billikens' team without Jayson Tatum.

No. If Justin Tatum were named "interim" coach, Jayson is likely to pick the Billikens.

A Justin Tatum coached Billikens' team with Jayson Tatum, is far better than a Jim Crews coached Billikens' team without Jayson Tatum.

David King, I don't think adding a coach and his son guarantees squat--look what happened when we had Rich Grawer and Kevin Grawer.

Let's get real here for a moment. Losing Jayson was not, repeat not, Crews' fault. And if Jayson had chosen SLU, it wouldn't have been because he wanted to play for Jim Crews. It would have been, as he said many tiimes, out of some allegiance to his hometown. Who knows where his heart was during most of this process, but in the end it's damn difficult to turn your back on a Duke program and a legendary coach. Crews had little to do with his decision. Time to see what plan B is. I'm not hopeful.

CBC hired Justin and Jayson stayed at Chaminade. I don't think hiring Justin necessarily lands his son. Most reports are that mom pulls the strings.

CBC hired Justin and Jayson stayed at Chaminade. I don't think hiring Justin necessarily lands his son. Most reports are that mom pulls the strings.

Transfer from one local high school to another is not that simple if you want to stay eligible to play so staying was probably the best option for him.

And then after that 1 year you end up being stuck with Justin and not Jayson.

"Had Crews been replaced mid season last year with an interim and a hot new coach hired this offseason (quickly) Tatum could have been here." - mrjoelabs

"This is what happens when you don't fire a horrible coach when you should have." - mrjoelabs

I will try to be nice. Do you not think that Tatum would have chosen Coach K over anyone else you could name as coach "interim?" No coach would have impressed Tatum over Coach K...none. You call Coach Crews horrible. I believe you base this upon last year's performance. Were you calling for his head the year before that?

I have turned over a new leaf. I am willing to listen. Please give me some new information that would help me understand why you think Crews is so bad. Base your analysis on something other than a win loss record on a freshman team, such as coaching principles, recruiting tactics, or team building.

He didn't get Tatum. Neither did Kentucky. From what I've seen, he tried hard. Some are saying he shouldn't have wasted his time. What would the board say if he never tried. Tatum expressed interest in SLU. He chose Duke instead. We were closer than most thought we could be.

In my opinion, this next year should show improvement. If we get worse, then there is cause for worry.

It is disappointing that we didn't get Tatum. The last year was tough. I just don't see it as the end of the world.

Agree with everything you said.

SLU has lost out on many high level local recruits to top schools, mostly in the southeast for some reason. Bradley Beal and David Lee went to Florida (Billy Donovan). Jahidi White went to Georgetown (John Thompson). Chris Carrawell went to Duke (Coach K). Loren Woods went to Wake Forest for a year before transferring to Arizona. Ben McLemore and Ryan Robertson went to Kansas (Bill Self & Roy Williams).

Were all of our coaches terrible because they didn't land those guys? If you believe the storyline here, Crews came closer to landing Tatum that any of our other coaches came to landing any of the guys mentioned above with the possible exception of Jahidi White. Not getting Tatum does not make him a bad coach.

There are other arguments that could be made for the idea that Crews is not what's best for our program right now, but not getting Tatum is not one of them.

I think that Crews and company added nothing positive to the situation. I do think Crews and company may have been negatives to the situation. On either account, I have nothing more than my opinion as I don't know for sure. But it wasn't SLU-versus-Duke, it was hometown hero-versus-Duke-K-ACC-National Lights, etc.

Duke-Syracuse. Duke=Notre Dame. Duke-Carolina. Duke-St. Johns. Duke-Michigan State. Duke-Louisville. Bilas. Dickie V. Clark Kellog. Jim Nantz.

SLU-Fordham. SLU-LaSalle. SLU-Duquesne. SLU-Bonaventure. SLU-Mason. Ramsey. Earl. Hmark. Pat Pappas.

Game. Set. Match.

Yea he wasn't because he is hopelessly inept!

Why in the world would any Billiken fan give this moron the time of day and answer his ridiculous rants. He is not now and never has been a Bills fan. I will never understand why people like this come to our board and just post crap. I understand even less why real fans ever respond to his idiotic posts. Basically it all drives me insane as do the so many posts from people who state things as facts when they have absolutely no clue whatsoever.