Jim Crews' future?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. You throw everything you can at a recruit like Jayson Tatum. We may never have as good of a connection with an elite recruit. That is why I can't believe we didn't host him on an official visit where we in fact threw everything we had at him.

Maybe I am just not aware but what would he be missing out on with the "official" visit to SLU? From what I understood, the official visit is where the school can pay for the travel cost to campus and for the lodging for the night. I thought they had rules on the amount the school could spend everything during official visits.

That's why I never thought taking an official to SLU was a big deal. He was on campus a bunch, they had the visit where the talked to Dr. P, and it's not like the cost to come to SLU was great. Perhaps I just have a misunderstanding of official visits.

The next coach shouldn't be someone who has ever been employed as a coach at SLU.

Blame Lebron for this nonsense. He started this silly play with your buddies stuff. Jordan would have never done that. Tatum obviously wants to be a 2nd or 3rd banana, James Harden style. Not a bad living if you can get it though. /s

+1

That's why I never thought taking an official to SLU was a big deal. He was on campus a bunch, they had the visit where the talked to Dr. P, and it's not like the cost to come to SLU was great. Perhaps I just have a misunderstanding of official visits.

I am picturing that multiplied by 100 since the coaching staff would have had considerable time to plan and organize a visit that could have made Jayson feel like a rockstar.

Maybe I am just not aware but what would he be missing out on with the "official" visit to SLU? From what I understood, the official visit is where the school can pay for the travel cost to campus and for the lodging for the night. I thought they had rules on the amount the school could spend everything during official visits.

It was more than that. He had a catered dinner with highlights of his Dad and the Legened. SLU GOT BEAT its that simple. Our staff couldn't have done anything else.

OK guys, he chose Duke. No need to place blame on anything or anyone. His whole reason to come to SLU was the "hero of the hometown" thing, there is not a way in which SLU can be considered superior to Duke, academically or basketball wise, otherwise. He made his choice not to be the "hero of the hometown." Fine, this is it guys, let's turn the page and move forward. SLU tried and tried hard to get him here, ultimately they were not successful. Period.

Our staff couldn't have done anything else.

Do you know what our staff did? Serious question, I would like to know that we didn't leave any bullets in the chamber.

I really do think we need an assistant coach who has had success as a lead recruiter or has the skill set to excel in that role.

X

It was more than that. He had a catered dinner with highlights of his Dad and the Legened. SLU GOT BEAT its that simple. Our staff couldn't have done anything else.

They could have not scheduled a visit during a dead period? There is a litany of other things they *could* have done, but chose not to do so. Rightly or wrongly.

Do you know what our staff did? Serious question, I would like to know that we didn't leave any bullets in the chamber.

I really do think we need an assistant coach who has had success as a lead recruiter or has the skill set to excel in that role.

It's nothing personal, but when I think about the hiring of Jim Platt, my expectations for the program are readjusted.

It's TOO late

I am picturing that multiplied by 100 since the coaching staff would have had considerable time to plan and organize a visit that could have made Jayson feel like a rockstar.

I guess that's what I am asking. I thought in the Tatum rally thread that we had it was stated that the school couldn't help out organizing it because they can't organize gatherings for recruits as it's a NCAA violation. That's why coaches will schedule official visits during basketball games or football games so the students can cheer then and they are already gathered.

I just don't think there was much else the coaches could have done. As cool as any visit would be, when it came to decision time the opportunity to play for Coach K and his best friend Giles would always be too much to pass up.

I'm of the belief that we need a major talent overhaul. I'll grant that MR and MY may develop into decent A10 talents but that's still only the potential. They didn't show all that much last year and neither made the all FR team. Neufeld's a complete unknown, but bigs take time. And with our bigs we should get to see him play big minutes this season. The rest of the squad is really a big question mark. In fact, if SLU actually grows a set and dumps Crews after what looks like another disappointing season, I hope we hire another "ruthless" type who feels he can upgrade the talent by replacing guys who just don't have what it takes to play at the level Rick brought to SLU. And to reach that level took 3 years, although it easily could have been only 2. So, at a minimum it will take 3 years to get back to teams that excite us fans.

SLU essentially fielded a JV team last year, almost all freshman and sophs....with meaningful playing time for one upperclassman...a little premature to say a major talent overhaul is needed?

There is a lot of emotional misinformation being thrown around here. I know that SLU had a real discussion about hiring Justin Tatum, but it would not have passed NCAA muster, particularly in light of some comments Jason made to the media during his son's recruitment. Also, Jayson's mom would not be qualified to work for any company in the area. She has only been out of law school for a few years. Most major companies expect there in-house attorneys to have extensive business law experience at a major corporate law firm, which I don't believe she has had at any point.

I don't know the details of what this staff did or did not do in the recruitment. I do know that there are about a 1,000 reasons to go to Duke over SLU, and SLU's staff has little to no control over that fact.

The big shame is that the program and staff sunk significant time, money, and resources recruiting Jayson, and they have zero to show for it. Finishing second in a major recruitment is a really bad thing for a program. There are no moral victories in recruiting, and success or failure of key recruit can make or break a team.

Now that Jayson is off the table, Crews future will be determined almost exclusively by the development and success of this year's sophomores and juniors.

SLU essentially fielded a JV team last year, almost all freshman and sophs....with meaningful playing time for one upperclassman...a little premature to say a major talent overhaul is needed?

No. Look at the teams winning national championships lately (or, in a more direct way, the other young teams that beat us this past season). Talent wins. We're thin on it right now in a very bad way.

No. Look at the teams winning national championships lately (or, in a more direct way, the other young teams that beat us this past season). Talent wins. We're thin on it right now in a very bad way.

How many of the guys on this roster right now get minutes on the really good SLU teams of late?

It's nothing personal, but when I think about the hiring of Jim Platt, my expectations for the program are readjusted.

Jim Platt has a lot in common with t!ts on a boar.

He spent a year at Bradley and brought in possibly one of the worst big men I've ever seen at any collegiate level of basketball, Andrew Davis. His lone highlight of the season was getting knocked out in practice for being a chump.

There is a lot of emotional misinformation being thrown around here. I know that SLU had a real discussion about hiring Justin Tatum, but it would not have passed NCAA muster, particularly in light of some comments Jason made to the media during his son's recruitment. Also, Jayson's mom would not be qualified to work for any company in the area. She has only been out of law school for a few years. Most major companies expect there in-house attorneys to have extensive business law experience at a major corporate law firm, which I don't believe she has had at any point.

I don't know the details of what this staff did or did not do in the recruitment. I do know that there are about a 1,000 reasons to go to Duke over SLU, and SLU's staff has little to no control over that fact.

The big shame is that the program and staff sunk significant time, money, and resources recruiting Jayson, and they have zero to show for it. Finishing second in a major recruitment is a really bad thing for a program. There are no moral victories in recruiting, and success or failure of key recruit can make or break a team.

Now that Jayson is off the table, Crews future will be determined almost exclusively by the development and success of this year's sophomores and juniors.

There is precedence, namely Kansas hired Danny Manning's Dad, Ed Manning, as an Assistant Coach.

Outside of Cheaney, none of our staff brings anything significant to the table....

I don't understand the idolatry of Cheaney. Sadly the best talent evaluate on our squad is Platt. I have seen zero evidence of Cheaney using his background as a positive with recruits.

About 5 years ago the NCAA implemented hiring reforms for men's basketball. Individuals who are classified as an "Individual Associated with a Prospect," are those who have coached or trained kids or are their family members. There are no restrictions if you hire the IAWP as a countable coach, but if you hire them to a non-coaching administrative position (e.g. DOBO) then you cannot have a player associated with that individual on your roster for two years from hire. so SLU could have hired Tatum's dad as an assistant and that would have been ok.

I do wonder how much Coach K used his National team position not just on landing Tatum but also with his last few monster classes. Every one of the Duke targets got selected. Just sayin.....

OK guys, he chose Duke. No need to place blame on anything or anyone. His whole reason to come to SLU was the "hero of the hometown" thing, there is not a way in which SLU can be considered superior to Duke, academically or basketball wise, otherwise. He made his choice not to be the "hero of the hometown." Fine, this is it guys, let's turn the page and move forward. SLU tried and tried hard to get him here, ultimately they were not successful. Period.

Let's not get too carried away with the academic talk here.

Regards,

Corey Magette

Agree the coaches on the national teams have the keys to the candy store. While not actually "recruiting" they definitely have the inside track to the stars on the team. Also the academic thing is a joke. How many hours do you think the Duke players actually spend in class. Bet they are no different than North Car.