Jim Crews' future?

Well, I think it's safe to say that Crews will probably be gone if we see another terrible season this year. Getting Tatum was his only chance at having job security, but now that's all out the window.

Seriously, how can this guy just sit on his rear end and not offer Barnes or Goodwin? Instead, we wasted innumerable amounts of time and resources on a kid who was never going to come to SLU from the very beginning. Now it's probably too late to pursue Barnes or Goodwin.

Crews hasn't shown that he can coach or develop any of his own recruits. Everything Majerus built is officially gone at this point. I just don't see how this program is ever going to get where we all want it to be with him as the HC.....

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of pressure on Crews and staff now, that is for sure. I still don't see how we can be successful with Bronson as our lead recruiter.

I think there is still plenty of time with Barnes (mid-major level pg and an offer from SLU would be his best offer) and Goodwin (2017 recruit) if those are guys the staff targets.

With the 3 years that SLU went to the dance, we had a huge opportunity to start getting recruits like Xavier, VCU, etc. Instead RM left, JC had to step in and it was SLU's fault for not removing the interim tag sooner. Honestly how many good recruits would be interested in listening to and signing under a coach that wasn't sure to be there the following year? I really say a huge part to blame for JC having a week first year class was because of how the athletic department handled everything. I mean, even with the bills winning and doing very well, they still left that tag on him. So far we have seen, JC do a very good job coaching a talented team. We have seen his ability to get decent recruits (DR, MY, MB….granted these are just IMO, but still I believe to be decent solid players). What we have failed to see thus far with JC; does he in fact posses the ability to develop young talent? Does he have the ability to get high level recruits? As much as we all wanted Tatum, he was in fact the number 1 or number 2 ranked kid in an extremely top heavy class. It was a longshot. Not really sure if JC could have done more, and if it even would have made a difference. I have always disliked 1 and done type players. While their talent may be ridiculous….you don't have the ability to build a team. Personally I like the idea of getting 3 and 4 star recruits who have a lot of potential and building them up and having for 4 years. The biggest test for JC is this coming season. Have the JC recruits improved? Can he improve on the talent level of incoming recruits? Can he land SLU, Xavier Sneed and Tyler Cook type of players?

A lot of pressure on Crews and staff now, that is for sure. I still don't see how we can be successful with Bronson as our lead recruiter.

I think there is still plenty of time with Barnes (mid-major level pg and an offer from SLU would be his best offer) and Goodwin (2017 recruit) if those are guys the staff targets.

What he said. We didn't get the one we wanted the most but let's not give up completely.

I'm of the belief that we need a major talent overhaul. I'll grant that MR and MY may develop into decent A10 talents but that's still only the potential. They didn't show all that much last year and neither made the all FR team. Neufeld's a complete unknown, but bigs take time. And with our bigs we should get to see him play big minutes this season. The rest of the squad is really a big question mark. In fact, if SLU actually grows a set and dumps Crews after what looks like another disappointing season, I hope we hire another "ruthless" type who feels he can upgrade the talent by replacing guys who just don't have what it takes to play at the level Rick brought to SLU. And to reach that level took 3 years, although it easily could have been only 2. So, at a minimum it will take 3 years to get back to teams that excite us fans.

The Tatum thing gave me some optimism for the future of being good after the failed abortion that was 14-15.

Now that hope is gone, it's really depressing. Last years team was one of the worst Billiken teams of all time in any sort of measurement you want, except height.

The good feeling of the three tournament appearances are firmly in the rear view with 0 capitalization on those by Crews. At least we can watch the Majerus SLU Crew this weekend and remember fondly.

I'm all for moving on from JC if this year doesn't show development of last years freshman, plus I'm really interested in seeing how the 2016 recruiting goes with his back against the wall. I would love to see SLU grab a coach like Bobby Hurley or Michael White.

I'm all for moving on from JC if this year doesn't show development of last years freshman, plus I'm really interested in seeing how the 2016 recruiting goes with his back against the wall. I would love to see SLU grab a coach like Bobby Hurley or Michael White.

Bobby Hurley.......I'd commit suicide or worse start following the Tigers.

JC has at least two more years in my opinion. If he doesn't have to boat sailing in the write direction, I'll be calling for his head......

Bobby Hurley.......I'd commit suicide or worse start following the Tigers.

JC has at least two more years in my opinion. If he doesn't have to boat sailing in the write direction, I'll be calling for his head......

he has one year in my opinion, and that is too many from what i saw last year

he has one year in my opinion, and that is too many from what i saw last year

Stating the obvious, this upcoming season will have a lot to do with crews being around for 16-17. I don't think he'll have to work miracles this season but he's gotta get things going in the right direction. If we don't look better in game 30 than game 15, and better in game 15 than in game 1, then I'm done with him.

Hurley is at Arizona St and White is at Florida. Seems like it'll be hard for us to get one of those guys.

Know those 2 have moved already, I was meaning those types of coaches. I'd like to see a young, energetic coach who can be with the Bills for long period of time.

Its crazy after the second NCAA year, a lot of people thought SLU was going to get an invite for the big east, start landing solid 3 and 4 star recruits. Crazy how things having panned out that way.

Know those 2 have moved already, I was meaning those types of coaches. I'd like to see a young, energetic coach who can be with the Bills for long period of time.

Its crazy after the second NCAA year, a lot of people thought SLU was going to get an invite for the big east, start landing solid 3 and 4 star recruits. Crazy how things having panned out that way.

I can't believe how quickly it has all unraveled. Not being facetious, I thought SLU would be still climbing.

I bet Tatum commits to SLU if we were in the big east. He was never going to play in the A-10 the way it's currently constructed.

Agree. That kind of coach is what we need but definitely hard to find and even harder to keep around for a long time period.

Crews did a fine job with Majerus' players and he earned his contract. I haven't given up on the current roster/staff but you also don't want to wait too long to make a move. I still think SLU has a bit of that momentum that they built but another bad season and it's gone and I think at that point you need to start over.

I can't believe how quickly it has all unraveled. Not being facetious, I thought SLU would be still climbing.

I didn't see them continuing to climb necessarily. We all knew that last year was going to be a down year. Not many teams can loose their top 5 players and do well. I just don't think any of us expected the decline to be THAT bad. We would have a good game and play well….which led to hope, then would absolutely be garbage for the next 4 or 5 games. Lets face it, last year we had absolutely no offensive flow, our defense was shaky at best. This coming year is all about improvement across the board (not saying every individual player), but for JC sake, we better start showing some semblence of an offense and improvement on defense. I can accept the fact we were awful down low on defense last year, but the amount of 3s we gave up last year….no excuse. Thats just poor coaching. I may be one of the few on this, but I'm not frustrated with recruiting near as much as feeling of terrible coaching last season. We saw flashes from just about everyone last year. Not sure how you don't begin to get more cohesive toward the end of the season.

I didn't see them continuing to climb necessarily. We all knew that last year was going to be a down year. Not many teams can loose their top 5 players and do well. I just don't think any of us expected the decline to be THAT bad. We would have a good game and play well.which led to hope, then would absolutely be garbage for the next 4 or 5 games. Lets face it, last year we had absolutely no offensive flow, our defense was shaky at best. This coming year is all about improvement across the board (not saying every individual player), but for JC sake, we better start showing some semblence of an offense and improvement on defense. I can accept the fact we were awful down low on defense last year, but the amount of 3s we gave up last year.no excuse. Thats just poor coaching. I may be one of the few on this, but I'm not frustrated with recruiting near as much as feeling of terrible coaching last season. We saw flashes from just about everyone last year. Not sure how you don't begin to get more cohesive toward the end of the season.

Great post. Agree w/pretty much everything you said.

With his high salary, would the school be willing to bite the bullet to buy him out and then hire a name coach who would cost as much, if not more?

Maybe a booster would especially if that booster is actually paying some of his salary to begin with. I bet he gets 2 more years so long as he shows some improvement this year.