Neufeld News

It looks like he is about to get a great test with Croatia. Croatia has some serious size (Zubac 7'0, Zizic 6'11, Arapovic 6'9, and Slavica 6'8) and those four are all scoring in double figures in addition to 6'8 Karacic averaging 7 points in 14 mpg. This is all based on the stats as I have never seen them play.

Must...resist...Gus Phillips jokes...

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Team Canada's frontline got dominated. Neither Egi nor Neufeld had any answers. Good experience for our guy. Hopefully Neufeld keeps improving and he can pay these guys back in a couple of years. Egi is supposed to be a 4 star recruit but he didn't produce much in this tournament.

Looks like Team Canada's frontline got dominated. Neither Egi nor Neufeld had any answers. Good experience for our guy. Hopefully Neufeld keeps improving and he can pay these guys back in a couple of years. Egi is supposed to be a 4 star recruit but he didn't produce much in this tournament.

Yeah, Croatia seemed like a bad matchup for Canada with their size. Definitely a good opportunity for Neufeld to get some quality minutes though. Here are his stats: played 16:43 with 5 points (1-3 from the field and 3-4 from the line), 3 rebounds, 1 steal, and 1 TO. One of Croatia's top bigs did not play (Zizic), but the other two had big games (Arapovic - 20 points (7-14) and 11 rebounds and Zubac - 19 points (9-11) and 6 rebounds).

OK, so based on Neufeld's 5 game performance in the FIBA U19 we can reasonably expect that he will be able to contribute to SLU in a positive manner over the next 4 years. This is the way it looks to me, but I know very little to nothing about evaluation of a player's potential. Anyone thinks differently?

OK, so based on Neufeld's 5 game performance in the FIBA U19 we can reasonably expect that he will be able to contribute to SLU in a positive manner over the next 4 years. This is the way it looks to me, but I know very little to nothing about evaluation of a player's potential. Anyone thinks differently?

5 pts 3 rebs in only 16 minutes against a a frontline like Croatia?

Yep, he'll contribute.

You would think with the amount of big men we have that he won't get hounded as much as a single threat like Ian Voyukas

Caught a little bit of Canada's win over Australia this morning. Saw a dunk and a block from our boy in limited minutes. Didn't see the stat line. I think MN is going to be further along than the average frosh.

Sorry for posting in the wrong tread, but I was watching several videos of Jermaine Bishop; While the kid could use some additional muscle, he seams to be fairly explosive, have good hands, and vision for passing. I didn't recall reading a whole lot of stuff on here about the kid, so apologies if this may be redundant. All in all I like what I saw of the kid (granted 5 videos on youtube is a very small sample size). It seems with Welmer, Neufeld and Bishop we have a decent incoming class.

The Canadian team lost 1 game (to Croatia) and won all other 5 games they played, they were ranked overall #6. Matt Neufeld's stats after all 6 games of the tournament were the following>

Minutes per game 13.4

Points/G 5.1

FG % 56.5

Off Reb/G 1.3

Def Reb/G 1.7

Blocks/G 0.4

Asst/G 0.4

TO/G 0.7

Stl/G 0.3

PF/G 1.3

Probably because he lacks the ideal measurables. The kid can play and seems like the prototypical tough Nova guard. Should be a big time player at the college level.

Jalen Brunson had a really nice tournament for the US team (MVP of the tournament):

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/07/06/fiba-u19-world-championship-usa-jalen-brunson-harry-giles

The freshman class of 2015 may not have a blockbuster NBA-prospect point guard, but it has at least one future college star at that position. Jalen Brunson, the 6'1", left-handed, Villanova-bound son of former NBA guard Rick Brunson, was the biggest revelation of this tournament and its clear MVP. Fans may very well mistake the younger Brunson for an upperclassman from Day 1 at Villanova, given his composure and heady combination of facilitating and scoring.

On July 4th, in front of a 99.5% pro-Greek crowd wilder than anything he'll experience in the Big East next season, Brunson scored 30 points against the Greeks on 9-of-13 shooting, then came back the next day and played 40 turnover-less minutes (with seven assists) in an overtime win over Croatia in the gold-medal game. U.S. coach Sean Miller was left with a clear impression of what Brunson could become in college.

"That kid," Miller said, "is a Final Four point guard."

Even with Ryan Arcidiacono back for his senior season at 'Nova, it's hard to imagine Brunson not spending plenty of time with the ball in his hands, either as the lead guard or in dual-point guard lineups. And although Team USA had a chance to be led by other point guards—Tyler Ulis of Kentucky was eligible but declined an invite, and Kentucky freshman Isaiah Briscoe suffered a concussion during the U.S. team trials that kept him from traveling to Greece—it's hard to imagine anyone would have performed better than Brunson did.

Just as an FYI the players on the team, or at least some of them, participated in some event this weekend. Neufeld was there, so he's on campus.

Was that the "BeepBall" charity thing?

I got to do that this spring with Edwardsville HS baseball. It's a lot of fun.

I'm drinking the Neufeld Blue Koolaid. I say 6.0 per game. I think he'll have some games where he scores 10-12 and others where he gets 2-3. On balance he'll average around 6.

I'm also drinking the Neufeld Kool-aid. I say 4.8 a game and I think he will be a very solid big for us. He won't set the world on fire as a freshman (nor should we expect him to), but I think he will be a solid big.

-Unca, I think an interesting question, I went through the record book for some recent, or so, 4 yr players who played up front, not necessarily all 4 or 5, and here are their freshmen year scoring avgs, some didn't play much

Ian V-2.2

Willie R-7.7

Cory R-1.9

RLoe -6.7

Baniak- 8.7

Sekeue- 1.9

ABonner - 10.3

L Meyer - 3.4

C Braun - 3.1

C Cranford - 1.9

B Conklin - 6.1

DEvans - 8.5

R Gray - 11.5

Jeff Harris - 1.5

C Heinrich - 4.3

B Husak - 0.9

Obi - 1.4

J Manning - 0.5

Ryan Luech - 2.0

Chill - 7.7

L Simmons - 1.4

C Sloan - 1.3

J Tatum - 1.7

Brett Thompson - 2.0

-9 of 24 averaged over 3.5 - while most would not have had a year of prep school, I'll take the under and hope to be really, really wrong

A lot of those guys who averaged 1 or 2 their freshman seasons turned out to be pretty nice players.

If Neufeld doesn't score 3.5+ PPG, it's not an indictment on his long term prospects.

Bigs take time.

If he has a freshman year like Willie or Evans or Conklin or Rob Loe, that'd be excellent. The opportunity will certainly be there.

A lot of those guys who averaged 1 or 2 their freshman seasons turned out to be pretty nice players.

If Neufeld doesn't score 3.5+ PPG, it's not an indictment on his long term prospects.

Bigs take time.

If he has a freshman year like Willie or Evans or Conklin or Rob Loe, that'd be excellent. The opportunity will certainly be there.

Couldn't agree more. However, will this Board realize that once play begins?