OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same thoughts. :) Anyone know the approximate dimensions? Would a hockey rink (200 ft. by 85 ft) fit? A basketball court, of course, is 94 ft x 50 ft.

From the pictures, is that artificial turf for something like indoor soccer?

Didn't the baseball team used to train inside this building?

Don't know about the hockey thing, unless you know a group of hockey loving alumni ready to gift the university an 8 figure donation.

I'm thinking a cool indoor training facility to be shared by SLU soccer and a STL MLS franchise.

I don't think the building even has the room needed to add an ice maker.

I'm just playing with hypotheticals, I would love Bills hockey, I'd love it more in the Chaifetz, the student section bleachers push back... How much space would that add? And the side front bleachers push in as well. It would be an awkward arrangement.

chaifetz-arena.jpg

Here is a pretty good example of what I am saying, all those seats in the "bottom bowl" if you will, collapse back. Wouldn't that be able to fit a regulation rink?

I have no idea bout how the ice maker, Zamboni situation would play out...

More off, what I believe is, if we have any hope of seeing D1 Bills hockey again, which I am a STRONG advocate of, I think the program would be more likely to happen, and be more popular, if it played in the Chaifetz.

It was not able to contain the equipment due to the land it was built on. It can fit an ice rink no problem. There was discussion of bringing indoor soccer to Chaifetz

So you're saying there's a chance '05? What do you mean by "the land it was built on?"

As noted above, unless the hockey equivalent of Dr. Chaifetz suddenly appears, Billiken hockey will not be resurrected in our lifetimes.

I dunno about you man, but I have a long time to live.

Billiken Hockey is a life goal.

More off, what I believe is, if we have any hope of seeing D1 Bills hockey again, which I am a STRONG advocate of, I think the program would be more likely to happen, and be more popular, if it played in the Chaifetz.

-to bonwich's point, how STRONG of an advocate are you? $5mil? $10mil? $20mil?

-I don't know how many area kids played hockey at SLU, but I heard a couple of weeks ago that there is likelihood of 3 area kids going in the first round of the NHL draft this summer so there are local kids playing at a high level, but hockey and SLU going together again is not likely without big money

-to bonwich's point, how STRONG of an advocate are you? $5mil? $10mil? $20mil?

-I don't know how many area kids played hockey at SLU, but I heard a couple of weeks ago that there is likelihood of 3 area kids going in the first round of the NHL draft this summer so there are local kids playing at a high level, but hockey and SLU going together again is not likely without big money

None of the above... We can all dream. That doesn't mean that I don't advocate, strong in ya know, an enthusiasm sense.

I think it speaks to our lack luster AD that raising that sort of capital is some amazing pipe dream that we could never make happen. Have to have one perfect private donor come to the rescue.

None of the above... We can all dream. That doesn't mean that I don't advocate, strong in ya know, an enthusiasm sense.

I think it speaks to our lack luster AD that raising that sort of capital is some amazing pipe dream that we could never make happen. Have to have one perfect private donor come to the rescue.

Because you're positing a hypothetical, you can't blame the AD for anything (in this case). And there's no real evidence right now that there's any kind of demand for a SLU hockey team, so it would be a little weird for them to go out and do even a $5M drive to upgrade or build new facilities so we can add two hockey teams.

You should also know that there were very few bigger fans of SLU hockey than me. (And, in fairness, Taj.) But I was almost an "insider" on the demise of hockey the first time, and I'm pretty well versed at the reasons SLU dropped it, most of which still exist.

Because you're positing a hypothetical, you can't blame the AD for anything (in this case). And there's no real evidence right now that there's any kind of demand for a SLU hockey team, so it would be a little weird for them to go out and do even a $5M drive to upgrade or build new facilities so we can add two hockey teams.

You should also know that there were very few bigger fans of SLU hockey than me. (And, in fairness, Taj.) But I was almost an "insider" on the demise of hockey the first time, and I'm pretty well versed at the reasons SLU dropped it, most of which still exist.

Of course I can, its a conversation, and an opinion... I'd love to know why SLU hockey went away, I assume it was mostly about dollar signs. You're right, this is a stretch to blame May on, but in reality it is around reason #56 on why I think he does a poor job. And just because I can't say it enough, Chris May does a really poor job.

I think our Athletic Department systematically lacks vision, any vision, in the sports they currently have, in the sports I believe they should. My thought is that in order to reach our true level of success we would need to differentiate ourselves from Mizzou as a program, they are the big state school, we need to act like the small Jesuit University. Offer things to fans they can't have at Mizzou: Good basketball, good men's soccer, hell why not good baseball? And long term, good hockey and maybe even lacrosse. I think there is a market for those things in the Lou, obviously I don't have any numbers, its a "feel" thing, I'd love to mobilize market research. I want to be a Big East school and I want to act like one too. STL has kids that play Hockey and LAX.

Either way, its nice to dream.

And to my point: Here is a list of teams in MO that play LAX at the HS level.

Chaminade Prep

Christian Bros

Clayton

Columbia Hickman

Columbia Rock Bridge

DeSmet Jesuit

Eureka

Fort Zumwalt West

Fox

Hazelwood Central

John Burroughs School

Kirkwood

Ladue

Lafayette

Lindbergh

Marquette

MICDS

Northland

Parkway Central/North

Parkway South

Parkway West

Pembroke Hill

Republic

Rockhurst Jesuit

Rockwood Summit

Springfield-Glendale

St. Louis University High School

Vianney Marianist

Webster Groves

Wentzville

And Hockey:

St Charles Conference:Metro Catholic ConferenceSouthwest ConferenceCentral ConferenceSouth Conference

That's a lot of kids.