Coaching Staff

ACE

I read where Romar completely overhauled his coaching staff this offseason. Apparently he is feeling the heat a little bit and was looking shake things up.

That got me thinking about our staff. What does everybody think. We got the young guys covered with Bronson and Lepore... apparently they were both instrumental in landing Yacoubou. I have heard good things about those two. Danny Brown is a former Billiken player and that is important to some people to have one on staff. After flirting with the St. John's job last year, it seems Whitesell has settled in. Since he is still here, I would have to figure he and Crews get along well. Whitesell seems to be doing a good job of generating recruiting interest in the Chicago area. What about Platt? When he was hired it seemed like it was assumed that he was just going to be a one year stopgap. I read his bio and he has bounced around. Some high profile assistant jobs and a few head coaching jobs, but also some low level gigs. Do any insiders know anything about him? Worked with Crews before so obviously Platt is seen as somebody he can work well with. I thought Platt might be the one spot where we were going to see some new blood, but Crews clearly values what he brings to the table.

I read where Romar completely overhauled his coaching staff this offseason. Apparently he is feeling the heat a little bit and was looking shake things up.

That got me thinking about our staff. What does everybody think. We got the young guys covered with Bronson and Lepore... apparently they were both instrumental in landing Yacoubou. I have heard good things about those two. Danny Brown is a former Billiken player and that is important to some people to have one on staff. After flirting with the St. John's job last year, it seems Whitesell has settled in. Since he is still here, I would have to figure he and Crews get along well. Whitesell seems to be doing a good job of generating recruiting interest in the Chicago area. What about Platt? When he was hired it seemed like it was assumed that he was just going to be a one year stopgap. I read his bio and he has bounced around. Some high profile assistant jobs and a few head coaching jobs, but also some low level gigs. Do any insiders know anything about him? Worked with Crews before so obviously Platt is seen as somebody he can work well with. I thought Platt might be the one spot where we were going to see some new blood, but Crews clearly values what he brings to the table.

Flirting with filling in for Lavin while he was undergoing cancer treatment or flirting for an assistant job with the Johnnies? I wasn't aware of this. Thanks, ACE! Good post.

Flirting with filling in for Lavin while he was undergoing cancer treatment or flirting for an assistant job with the Johnnies? I wasn't aware of this. Thanks, ACE! Good post.

He was rumored to go there as an assistant.

Whitesell is very positive about the team and still owns a house in Chicago which cuts down on travel expenses as his wife Connie has an ongoing business counseling basketball coaches' wives-losing seasons may be bad at home and winning seasons probably double the travel for the coach. I think Whitesell will stick as long as the pay stays the same or better

Crews has said everyone is staying unless they get a HC gig somewhere else. Thus, I'd anticipate Platt being around for a while.

Good post Ace. At this point, it's pretty clear the staff is sticking together for at least another year and I've been told they all genuinely like working together. And what's not to like when you can take a team to the top 15 and win regular season and conference tournaments.

I had two concerns with this group:

1) Would they be able to recruit at a high enough level. So far so good.

2) The diversity of the group. In calling it what it is, you rarely see all white coaching staffs (I don't really think about Danny Brown and Mike Lepore when I think about the primary coaching responsibilities). I would have thought a young African American coach that also was a good recruiter would have fit in very well in Jim Platt's spot.

At the end of the day, concerns 1 and 2 of mine are really the same thing. Can this staff convince talented young men, many of whom are African American, to come play basketball at SLU. As long as the answer is yes and they continue coaching as well as they did last year, I hope they all stick around for a long time to come.

-is the bold underlined common knowledge I am lacking?

-I agree with Kshoe and will add that for me last year's coaching was a lot about keeping the team together through adversity and the staff did a remarkable job on that which brings me to going forward I wonder what x's and o's changes we will see

i have no problem with crews picking his entire staff. if things dont work out crews is the one that will be held responsible, thus he should be able to try to maximize his thinking with his people.

Good post Ace. At this point, it's pretty clear the staff is sticking together for at least another year and I've been told they all genuinely like working together. And what's not to like when you can take a team to the top 15 and win regular season and conference tournaments.

I had two concerns with this group:

1) Would they be able to recruit at a high enough level. So far so good.

2) The diversity of the group. In calling it what it is, you rarely see all white coaching staffs (I don't really think about Danny Brown and Mike Lepore when I think about the primary coaching responsibilities). I would have thought a young African American coach that also was a good recruiter would have fit in very well in Jim Platt's spot.

At the end of the day, concerns 1 and 2 of mine are really the same thing. Can this staff convince talented young men, men of whom are African American, to come play basketball at SLU. As long as the answer is yes and they continue coaching as well as they did last year, I hope they all stick around for a long time to come.

Not only were they able to recruit African Americans ... they were able to recruit African Afrikans

I think kshoe's assessment is spot on.

I also agree with roy ---- what did Parcells say --- buy the groceries to prepare the meal ---- this is all now Crews' making. With the loss of Carter and Drew, this is all Crews. He has the advantage of larry72's point of the last vestiges of the great HOFer and then off he goes. While the situation was not ideal, as he moves forward, the circumstances could not be better for him.

I think kshoe's assessment is spot on.

I also agree with roy ---- what did Parcells say --- buy the groceries to prepare the meal ---- this is all now Crews' making. With the loss of Carter and Drew, this is all Crews. He has the advantage of larry72's point of the last vestiges of the great HOFer and then off he goes. While the situation was not ideal, as he moves forward, the circumstances could not be better for him.

I think he said "How do you expect me to cook the meal if I don't buy the groceries?"

bizzle can check me, but i believe that is the first masked pink floyd reference on billikens.com

bizzle can check me, but i believe that is the first masked pink floyd reference on billikens.com

First masked reference, probably. However, doing a quick check, I found two transparent, overt Pink Floyd references made on the board in the past. One was made by Metz, which should come as no surprise, as he is the king of all obscure references:

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21169

The other one was made by DoctorB:

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9093

First masked reference, probably. However, doing a quick check, I found two transparent, overt Pink Floyd references made on the board in the past. One was made by Metz, which should come as no surprise, as he is the king of all obscure references:

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21169

The other one was made by DoctorB:

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9093

Appreciate the love, bizzle. "Welcome to the Machine" really isn't that obscure. Now if I mentioned something like "Careful with that axe, Eugene," in talking about Brian Conklin's lumberjack look, that might fall under the 8-minute-instrumental realm of obscurity. By the way, which one's Pink?