Quote from Yarborough

AlumniFan

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see it as cutting down his teammates at all. You'd have to be pretty sensitive to take it that way. It's not as if he said Manning's own mother would choose him over John if her life depended on getting an offensive rebound, or McBroom should try out to be a mall Santa's elf, or Bartley needs to stop hurling passes into the sixth row, or Roby couldn't hit sand if he fell out of a camel. Even though all of those things have been said on this message board many times...

Actually, I believe this is the first time someone has said that one of our players couldn't hit sand if he fell OUT of a camel. I could be wrong but I just don't have the time to research it.

I don't see it as cutting down his teammates at all. You'd have to be pretty sensitive to take it that way. It's not as if he said Manning's own mother would choose him over John if her life depended on getting an offensive rebound, or McBroom should try out to be a mall Santa's elf, or Bartley needs to stop hurling passes into the sixth row, or Roby couldn't hit sand if he fell out of a camel. Even though all of those things have been said on this message board many times...

If, "I feel like we are the best all-around players on the team" isn't a reflection on the rest of his teammates then we can just disagree. Again, I want to make it clear that I don't necessarily disagree with MY's comments, just with him making such a public statement, especially as a Freshman. It goes back to the old statement that God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason-this year especially, MY needs to listen more than speak, but when he does speak, I suggest he speak as a teammate (as opposed to singling himself out as the best) since he is a long way away from being able to speak as the team leader.

It comes across as presumptuous, but I just don't see it as a knock on anyone else. He said he and Ash were the best all-around players. He didn't say everybody else sucked. I'm sure if he was asked to elaborate he would say they're all All-American types and they are going to play in a Final Four together.

Everyone has been saying how much someone needs to stand up and lead. Well here ya go.

Saying to the press that you are better in most aspects of the game than your teammates is not being a leader. We're all going to give MY a pass on this one, including, hopefully, his teammates, but someone does need sit him down for a talk. I nominate CC. He's probably given thousands of interviews over the years from the players perspective.

Yarbrough is first freshman since Evans to go for 13 rebounds in a game. Evans didn't do it till conference season.

Yarbrough is also the first Billiken since Liddell in 06 to go for a 10/13/6 line in a game.

He's backing up his talk.

Yarbrough is first freshman since Evans to go for 13 rebounds in a game. Evans didn't do it till conference season.

Yarbrough is also the first Billiken since Liddell in 06 to go for a 10/13/6 line in a game.

He's backing up his talk.

Interesting you bring up those 2 players. As Milik was filling up the stat sheet, I was thinking he was like a combo of Evans and Liddell. Has Evans' size and interior playing ability, but with some of Liddell's passing and ability to play closer to the perimeter.

Saying to the press that you are better in most aspects of the game than your teammates is not being a leader. We're all going to give MY a pass on this one, including, hopefully, his teammates, but someone does need sit him down for a talk. I nominate CC. He's probably given thousands of interviews over the years from the players perspective.

It was cocky but as Torch said "He's backing up his talk."

If Davell or Miles or Brett or whomever don't take that as a challenge and want to pout about it, they probably aren't the players we thought they were.

two movies that probably shouldn't have been made.....

I actually like BTTFII better than the original. Funny how the lawsuit from Crispin Glover forced the contorted double-back plot line.

The best thing I can say about Major League 2 is that it was better than Major League 3.

Actually, I believe this is the first time someone has said that one of our players couldn't hit sand if he fell OUT of a camel. I could be wrong but I just don't have the time to research it.

Agreed. Usually it's hit the ocean from the beach or the lake from a dock. However, this board's always been open to new clichés. I kind of like this one, except that it might offend some of the terrorists on here.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts on this quote from Yarbrough?

“We have to find other ways to score other than just me and Austin and Ash,” Yarbrough said. “We need more people to contribute four or five points — somebody to just be the X factor every night.”

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slu-s-shooting-is-faulty-in-loss-to-vanderbilt/article_d12dfde4-583e-560d-b0f2-6cb3728ba8ab.html

Thoughts on this quote from Yarbrough?

“We have to find other ways to score other than just me and Austin and Ash,” Yarbrough said. “We need more people to contribute four or five points — somebody to just be the X factor every night.”

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slu-s-shooting-is-faulty-in-loss-to-vanderbilt/article_d12dfde4-583e-560d-b0f2-6cb3728ba8ab.html

He's right but forgot rebounds.

I am not certain this should be coming from a player, especially a freshman, If he was an upper class man I probably would not mind it.

He's right but forgot rebounds.

I am not certain this should be coming from a player, especially a freshman, If he was an upper class man I probably would not mind it.

Well, there was a reason RM banned FR from talking to the press. But this kid seems to be stepping into a leadership role. Can't argue with the message so let's not slay the messenger. He's certainly walking the talk. Problem is, who's the X factor's going to be? None of the other FR, save for AG, seem to have a penchant for scoring points. MC appears to be the guy night in and night out who can provide an extra 8-10 points, but again, the real culprit on this team has been the failure of the Soph class to fill the "next man up" role. We knew what we were getting in JM, not much, but we all expected the SOPHs to be a lot more productive than they've shown to date. As someone stated if we're going thru the conference season playing 3 on 5 every night, we are going to be challenged to win more than 2 conf games. Kind of sad when you go from two regular season championships in a row to the league's darkest corner in the basement.